High Oil Pressure Reading

Clarkie

Just noticed earlier that my oil pressure was reading quite high. At around 2000rpm it's about 60psi but as you increase the revs it goes up to about 110+ psi at high revs.

I've just changed over the air filter from a k&n back to the stock air filter as i need to sort a problem with the k&n. Could this cause the high oil pressure issue?

Just had it serviced on Friday and it was running fine at the weekend when i went for a long run.

Thanks

I can't remember what the gauge reads between now, but oil pressure is related to how much oil you have in the sump as well (although it's not a reliable level indicator before anyone points that out!). I suspect you were fairly low on oil before and now it's been topped up after a service are just noticing the gauge reading a bit higher due to this.

To put your mind at ease, changing the air filter will have no effect on this at all. :)

Thats normal as far as I know.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when your car is warmed up, if you drive at 60mph, in 6th gear the psi should read 60 or a little below.

This seems to be true for my car, on a really long run on a hot day it may get as low as 50 psi.

This also works for 30mph in 3rd, 40mph in 4th, and 50mph in 5th - should all read about 50-60 psi

:thumbs:

The oil pressure increases with engine speed, so assuming you have the correct level of oil, what you describe would appear normal. Although there is no indication of 'limits' in the handbook, and I can't say that I have glanced at mine when I have redlined it.

• 2 months later...

Has the correct weight of oil been put in? 30w? If a heavier weight of oil has been put in, say 40w the oil will be a thicker viscosity therefore resulting in higher oil pressure......

+1.

Also the current very cold temperatures might be adding to this...

Mine never seems to go above 90 PSI apart from the odd occasion when it has spiked up to about 110 PSI running 5W30. I always thought that the pressure relief valve must be set for around 90 PSI as this seems to be the point that it stops at independent of the engine rpm rising further.

When it's cold mine usually sits at 90 PSI on high idle and drops off as the engine warms up and idle speed drops. Warm idle is usually about 20 - 30 PSI.

I would have thought that too higher pressure would cause issues with oil seals and gaskets leaking.