Just received an audit letter from admiral! :|

mike89

I have had my car insurance with admiral for 2 years now and have always been truthful with regards to convictions, estimated mileage etc. I received a letter today asking me to send them copies of my Driving licence (both parts), V5 Cert and a copy of a bill or bank statement. It got me rather worried and I checked my policy against all my details and everything ties up. However, I did notice I have the wrong date down for a conviction I have, I wrote down it was 06/09, whereas it was really 09/09. This was a complete and utter mistake obviously as 3 months would make no difference to the price of my premium I would imagine.

This has got me rather worried as to what they will say to this, they have recently dealt with a claim for me and were great. The accident was 100% the other persons fault and they admitted that to their own insurance company so it was a smooth claim with no problems. Nothing really cost Admiral any money as they would have claimed everything back off of the woman whos fault it was insurance company.

I have to say I am a quite worried, I dont know if its a random audit or they have found this discrepancy and want to cancel my policy or fine me etc.

Has anyone ever had an 'audit' on their policy??

:shrug:

never heard of it, call them up and make sure it isnt a hoax.. why would they want a bank statement?

I called customer services tonight and they said they couldn't access or change any info on my policy as it has been locked on the system by the Underwriters.

Kinda bricking myself....can't see them being bastards over a date I got wrong. If I was going out my way to hide information I wouldn't have told them about it!

did you call the number on the letter that came in? double check it against the online number...

ive been with them for 5 years and never had anything like this. I doubt they will say anything about the crash date as technically you still declared. I still have my suspicions about this and i would check thoroughly on the phone and paperwork and make sure its legit

never heard of it, call them up and make sure it isnt a hoax.. why would they want a bank statement?

I called customer services tonight and they said they couldn't access or change any info on my policy as it has been locked on the system by the Underwriters.

Kinda bricking myself....can't see them being bastards over a date I got wrong. If I was going out my way to hide information I wouldn't have told them about it!

did you call the number on the letter that came in? double check it against the online number...

ive been with them for 5 years and never had anything like this. I doubt they will say anything about the crash date as technically you still declared. I still have my suspicions about this and i would check thoroughly on the phone and paperwork and make sure its legit

The number on the letter closes at 6pm, so I got the number off the website and called them and they confirmed the 'audit'. So it is definitely from Admiral. It wasn't the date of the accident I got wrong it was the date of my conviction on my driving license.

The number on the letter closes at 6pm, so I got the number off the website and called them and they confirmed the 'audit'. So it is definitely from Admiral. It wasn't the date of the accident I got wrong it was the date of my conviction on my driving license.

Whilst I see no harm in confirming dates with them etc etc, I would point blank refuse to send them any bank statements.

+1, your bank balance has nothing to do with them.

Send a utility bill to prove proof of address. Theyre wanting to confirm youre at the address your license states

Whilst I see no harm in confirming dates with them etc etc, I would point blank refuse to send them any bank statements.

Yeah I will be sending a bill, I think it is as you say just proof of where I live. I hope it comes to nothing, technically though if i read through the terms and conditions they would be within their rights to cancel my policy....cant see why they would want to though! I have never made a claim against them (that was my own fault) and always paid my policies up front. Time will tell !

Yeah I will be sending a bill, I think it is as you say just proof of where I live. I hope it comes to nothing, technically though if i read through the terms and conditions they would be within their rights to cancel my policy....cant see why they would want to though! I have never made a claim against them (that was my own fault) and always paid my policies up front. Time will tell !

I cant really see what they would achieve other than losing a customer. :shrug:

I cant really see what they would achieve other than losing a customer. :shrug:

That is my thoughts too! I will call the underwriters number tomorrow to see what the score is, it could just be a random check they do and I have been picked out in the bunch of people to audit...I hope lol :lol:

I think u could be in for a shock mate they did same thing with me for same reason and ended up sayin either cancel ur policy or we puttin it up £270 in end i had to pay the extra premium cos they was stil cheaper than other companies

£270 for getting a month, not even a year wrong for a conviction on my policy? I will be arguing my case if they try to do that.

***edit*** sorry mis read original post

Re audit checks - yes most large organisations in the financial services market will perform 'audits' from time to time as part of their own internal oversight checks (ever wondered how they determine that X % of insurance applications are fraudulent? They audit a small percentage and then work out based on that what the likelihood of the rest of the book doing X/Y or Z is).

They also perform 'audits' under a slightly different guise...basically a nice way of saying your being investigated for fraud.

To allay your fears about the docs:

1. Drivers licence - USE - proof of I/D and evidence of convictions/points, medical conditions

2. V5 - USE - evidence that you own the car as per your declaration and that car is not imported.

3. Bill OR Bank statement - USE - proof of I/D (as your bank have already ID checked you to set up the account) and evidence of address (i.e the one you have declared the car is kept at in the nice leafy suburb as opposed to the council flat in the middle of a militant war zone)

So your either;

- being randomly audited as part of the internal checks (95% sure this is the reason)

- being investigated as part of some sort of suspected fraud investigation. Have you applied for any insurances lately - this could trigger something akin to a Hunter match which is a system that cross references for discrepancies in applications (this is highly unlikely to be the case).

None of us have ever come across this because it probably affects less than 5% of Admirals customers (of which there are probably 10's of thousands). Also it may be more prevalent now as insurers are doing whatever they can do to wriggle out of things (although all this would serve to do is lose them a premium).

Hope that gives you a bit of comfort!

***edit*** sorry mis read original post

Re audit checks - yes most large organisations in the financial services market will perform 'audits' from time to time as part of their own internal oversight checks (ever wondered how they determine that X % of insurance applications are fraudulent? They audit a small percentage and then work out based on that what the likelihood of the rest of the book doing X/Y or Z is).

They also perform 'audits' under a slightly different guise...basically a nice way of saying your being investigated for fraud.

To allay your fears about the docs:

1. Drivers licence - USE - proof of I/D and evidence of convictions/points, medical conditions

2. V5 - USE - evidence that you own the car as per your declaration and that car is not imported.

3. Bill OR Bank statement - USE - proof of I/D (as your bank have already ID checked you to set up the account) and evidence of address (i.e the one you have declared the car is kept at in the nice leafy suburb as opposed to the council flat in the middle of a militant war zone)

So your either;

- being randomly audited as part of the internal checks (95% sure this is the reason)

- being investigated as part of some sort of suspected fraud investigation. Have you applied for any insurances lately - this could trigger something akin to a Hunter match which is a system that cross references for discrepancies in applications (this is highly unlikely to be the case).

None of us have ever come across this because it probably affects less than 5% of Admirals customers (of which there are probably 10's of thousands). Also it may be more prevalent now as insurers are doing whatever they can do to wriggle out of things (although all this would serve to do is lose them a premium).

Hope that gives you a bit of comfort!

Thanks for the information mate! I am hoping its just a random check, but they will obviously find the discrepancy, as did I when I did my check over all the details tonight to check they matched, its their reaction to this that worries me!

it was 2months diff for a conviction that happened over 4yrs ago, been wiped off my license and everything, i said it was a honest mistake but they was having none of it. this was a couple of yrs ago thou. hope you get a better outcome than wat i did

So do I, I cant see how £270 can be justified! It was a simple human error. I still declared the conviction!

Further to what Ricey said, there was an article in the paper recently saying there was in increase in younger drivers giving a parent or relative's address in a lower risk postcode area to get lower premiums. Perhaps the recent claim albeit not your fault has triggered something.

It seems to me they are doing and ID check on you plus at the same time making sure you have the V5 and checking the car details.

A bank statement or utility bill is a good form of ID together with you driving licence. Send a copy of a utility bill in your name rather than a bank statement.

As long as you have never cost them any money then the worst that can happen is they can cancel the policy, but a honest mistake should not be a problem.

Have you ever carried out any mods on the car that you should have declared!?

It seems to me they are doing and ID check on you plus at the same time making sure you have the V5 and checking the car details.

A bank statement or utility bill is a good form of ID together with you driving licence. Send a copy of a utility bill in your name rather than a bank statement.

As long as you have never cost them any money then the worst that can happen is they can cancel the policy, but a honest mistake should not be a problem.

Have you ever carried out any mods on the car that you should have declared!?

I havent told them about my spacers but I have only recently put them on, just havent got round to it yet. No ive never cost them money, the only claim they have dealt with was 100% the 3rd parties fault.

Just got off the phone to the underwriters department and the guy I spoke to confirmed that it is 'just a random check we do from time to time'. I mentioned the slight mistake I made with dates and he said as long as the conviction code matches he doesnt see 2 or 3 months of a mistake making any difference. So hopefully all will be ok :clap: