Moving the seat back

coldel

Its stopped basically, which is ok for me as its set to my position but Rebecca has considerably longer legs than me :scare:

Switch works to move the back of the seat into different positions but when moving the base it only goes forwards which is a bloody nightmare you suddenly realise how important seating position is and how its so important that those little switches do not fail. Last week it stopped but I flicked it back n forth a few times and it started again, then when I tried again this morning nothing, just forward movement.

Any ideas guys? If the motor had gone I would have thought it wouldnt have gone forwards still?

If it works one way or intermittent it might just be chocked up with crap, i know the window motors suffer with this so maybe seat motors too?

Never seen a thread about it though or how to find the motor & strip it down...

I guess get the seat out and investigate :snack:

PM one of the guys who have had bride seats, Ian maybe?

Last week it stopped but I flicked it back n forth a few times and it started again, then when I tried again this morning nothing, just forward movement.

On that basis it might be some WD40 into the switch area (not checked to see how best that is done) might be a worthwhile start?

Well I'll be damned, went out there and tapped the top of the button for 20 seconds or so with my finger, lo' and behold a working switch again. Cheers Alex for the PMs this morning as well. Might just give it a good spray with some contact fluid later in any case...I cannot express how happy I am now :lol:

Well I'll be damned, went out there and tapped the top of the button for 20 seconds or so with my finger, lo' and behold a working switch again. Cheers Alex for the PMs this morning as well. Might just give it a good spray with some contact fluid later in any case...I cannot express how happy I am now :lol:

When my drivers window motor started to run slow I looked at the guide for removing it and cleaning it :headhurt:

I just gave it a little tap with a hammer and it was fine :bangin:

• 1 year later...

I've just bought a new (my second) Zed, and have this exact issue with the seat squab. The previous owner said that it had happened before, but he had just jiggled the seat itself a bit whilst not sat in it. I have tried this (and a bit of a gentle hammering) with no joy. Did anyone get any joy from the WD40 option, and if so where are you squirting it. Not a massive fan of spraying oil into something electrical!!

P.S. Sorry mods for resurrecting an old thread, but it seemed like a better plan that starting a new one.

A quick follow up on my plea for advice - I managed to get sight of what I assume was the seat squab motor (based on the angle of the pinion and it's general location). It's evident someone's tried to get at it before, as the trim is slightly cracked. I've also tried oiling the switch itself, with no joy. What I don't understand is that the motor makes no noise whatsoever to suggest it's jammed, however it definitely still reclines backwards (accidentally moved it a fraction more while jiggling the switch). Any better ideas?

I think his motor will be ok as its working one way. You can check the switch operation with a multimeter. Ps the GTR seats will be sweet. Be sure to put some pics up when you fit them :)

I think you saw a picture of the colour as they are identical to the ones Lee35 was selling and I believe Octet now has them.

brooklands350 is sorting the wiring out and fitting them.

Thats how we discovered the motor was in the runners.

I believe the only issue we may have is the heated seat bit.

The switch is on the GTR seats and on the Zed they are on the centre consul.

I am sure Chris will put something up when he has sussed it out.

The motor works and the 6 way operation all works.

3 of the mounts line up and one of the front ones is 4mm out which is an easy fix by heating the bar up and slightly bending it.

The 2 inside bolts nearest the center consul just need half inch spacers.

I am sure between Chris and Octet we will get enough info to make a DIY sticky.

i had this problem when i got my car but the garage just replaced the switches(its in one unit) and everything works fine. seems pretty easy to change aswell. id try spraying some elctrical cleaner in them first though. :pmzmanalex: as he will be able to get you a replacement :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice. I'm convinced it's something to do with the electrical contacts, as the fore/aft movement also wouldn't work this morning, but had magically fixed itself by the evening!

Do you need to remove the seat to get at them, because I gave the seat bolts a go tonight, and they're absolutely solid! I've whacked some WD40 on them, but think I may need something a bit more hard-core!

Undo the 4 bolts but disconnect the battery 1st

Disconnet the wiring and you will see the runners and the motor underneath.

I recon it would not hurt to clean all the crap out and squirt some WD40 on the moving bits.

It has to be worth a try and is a 30 min job.

Wow! I had not anticipated just how highly torqued the seat bolts were going to be! Need to get an air gun on those beasts. Have given in to actually getting some replacement switches and motors out of a donor car, thanks to leonk, so hopefully will have a bit more luck than I did with the contact cleaner!