G/box so much smoother now

Bry

Today I changed the G/bx and Diff oil (standard Nissan oils) didn't take too long as my mate let me use his Mot Pit at his nice and warm garage. I wasn't expecting any difference in gear change smoothness as my car has only done 17k but being 6 years old I thought I'd change it anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by how much smoother the gear change is now, I always thought that the gear selection was a bit heavy in it's action and slightly notchy but after coming from my S2000 which has probably the lightest most precise action on any car I've driven, I just put it down to that's how 350z box's are. The gear selection now takes alot less effort and has absolutely no notchyness(sp?) at all, it's not quite S2000 good but it ain't far off :yahoo:

The oil that came out of the box actually look really clean, still nice and golden and no mettalic flakes were visible in it. The diff oil was very dark and left lots of little mettalic flakes in the bottom of my drain bucket so definately needed changing.

If you haven't changed your G/box oil for a while or ever then I highly recommend doing it :thumbs:

Good to hear that you eventually got round to this and that you are delighted with the results Bryan :thumbs:

I think that the Moly fluid would also be a contributing factor to the improvements achieved.

IMHO it is so important to use the genuine Nissan fluids :#1:

Well done mate :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Good to hear that you eventually got round to this and that you are delighted with the results Bryan :thumbs:

I think that the Moly fluid would also be a contributing factor to the improvements achieved.

IMHO it is so important to use the genuine Nissan fluids :#1:

Well done mate :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Doubt it I forgot to take it with me :lol: Might chuck it in my Rav4 :thumbs: Thanks for the oils and advice :thumbs:

Oil and moly didn't help me. Still notchy and difficult in 2nd gear. Just a naff gearbox design I guess. If I had bought the car from new I would have sent it back and bought something else.

Strange as mines smooth as silk. How old is you clutch and clutch fluid as I've always found fresh fluid and a new clutch makes a huge difference, obviously a new clutch is a tad expensive but you'd be amazed at the difference fresh fluid makes

IMHO redline MT90 just works like magic on the zed. I always had a notchy cold box and notchy 1-2nd even hot and snatchy 5-6th. Spent countless ££ on Motul gear 300 until oilman pointed me to Redline B) Never looked back and its cheaper than Motul :yahoo: Any synthethic oil rated as per OEM specs works well for the diff. I change mine beofre the track season for security.

I would have thought that if the clutch was on the way out then it would affect more that just second gear. Similar with clutch fluid.

I suspect it's the synchromesh and as this is a common fault on the 350z, its down to bad design. You would have thought by now this kind of mechanical issue would no longer happen as there must have been countless gearboxes design and issues resolved in the last 70 years. Then again, someone comes up with a new idea or new material and can introduce a new problem.

Jim

My last car was a BMW 328 coupe, that is my bench mark for handling and gearchange, i find the 350z a little heavy...in a nice way, but i hate the way 2nd gear is very notchy, makes a clean fast getaway tough......but im told this is normal for this car....

i have changed the diff oil, now i'll try the gear box, i hope it has the same effect as you described

• 3 weeks later...

oh, just about to get it booked at the garage, how much oil is needed for gearbox / transmission?

Also, does anyone have any experience with 'Active8' low friction additive? the garage raves about it ( but then they are one of the few outlets ) , but after watching the Youtube demonstrations, it seems effective...

cheers