Well I have just baked my Dell..........

Beavis

Yes common fault with the nvidia graphics card on this model Stew. :thumbs:

Obviously just melts the solder enough to patch up any dry joints ;)

Yep! Dry joints are very common problems. My brother used to repair electronic stuff for a living and 9/10 times that was what the problem was with any video, dvd, tv etc...

Soddling lead free solder :p:lol:

I had to reseat the heatsink in my XB360 to achieve the same thing. Dry joints gave me RROD. Removed the heatsink and reseated it with some bolts and washers (as per a guide I had), then booted it up, got it nice and warm and then covered it over. Heat makes the solder flow slightly back into the joints and bingo - no more RROD. Only replaced the XB a few weeks ago so I could get HDMI output for the projector, the original is still running - although about 100x louder than the new slim :lol:

Soddling lead free solder :p:lol:

I had to reseat the heatsink in my XB360 to achieve the same thing. Dry joints gave me RROD. Removed the heatsink and reseated it with some bolts and washers (as per a guide I had), then booted it up, got it nice and warm and then covered it over. Heat makes the solder flow slightly back into the joints and bingo - no more RROD. Only replaced the XB a few weeks ago so I could get HDMI output for the projector, the original is still running - although about 100x louder than the new slim :lol:

Yes i have seen some of the guides on youtube involving a towel to fix the xbox. A mate of mine is heavy into electronics and he is always moaning about lead free solder. Yet my brother who worked on the wiring systems for Stingray torpedo's for the M.O.D said they always used lead based solder for obvious reasons...................its more reliable!! :lol:

From what I've heard, lead free solder is quite a bit more brittle, especially after a few heat cycles, which is exactly why laptops and game consoles can quite often fail like this. Ironically the save the planet mentality means you need to buy a new console if you dont know about these fixes which means you are sending what would have been a perfectly good bit of equipment to landfill for no reason :doh:

Holy crap, I bought a new laptop a few months ago, as mine was hanging at boot up with dodgy pixels.

Was gonna rip the hardrive out and smash it up. Might aswell give this a shot first!

Thanks for starting the post mate. :thumbs::thumbs:

Is yours a Dell? Like i said i pre-heated the oven to 200 degrees and placed the card on four silver foil balls positioned where the screws would go. Placed it on a baking tray and kept it in there for exactly 9 minutes (did it on my phone stop-watch) :)

When the 9 minutes was up i quickly switched the oven off and opened the door then left it for a minutes allowing it to cool a little, then gently lifted the tray out all together and left it to cool down naturally. :thumbs:

Guide to dismantling here ;)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... /index.htm

might be worth getting a separate thermometer as oven ones can be inaccurate

Did wonder about that myself so knocked a minute off so that i did not over do it. Was going to switch off at 8 minutes but nothing had caught fire at that point :lol:

It would have been much better if someone came in just as you were getting a laptop out the oven! Imagine what would be going on in their head!

I would said i was cooking up a Dell-icatessen. Get it? Bum Bum :lol:

It would have been much better if someone came in just as you were getting a laptop out the oven! Imagine what would be going on in their head!

I would said i was cooking up a Dell-icatessen. Get it? Bum Bum :lol:

Very good!

the towel trick with the xbox360 is only a short term fix and sometimes doesn't work at all.

best bet is to dismantle like chris'i did and i have with several ones i fixed over the years :thumbs:

didn't the ps3 need baking when they got YLoD (yellow light of death) or something like that :blush:

Holy crap, I bought a new laptop a few months ago, as mine was hanging at boot up with dodgy pixels.

Was gonna rip the hardrive out and smash it up. Might aswell give this a shot first!

Thanks for starting the post mate. :thumbs::thumbs:

Is yours a Dell? Like i said i pre-heated the oven to 200 degrees and placed the card on four silver foil balls positioned where the screws would go. Placed it on a baking tray and kept it in there for exactly 9 minutes (did it on my phone stop-watch) :)

When the 9 minutes was up i quickly switched the oven off and opened the door then left it for a minutes allowing it to cool a little, then gently lifted the tray out all together and left it to cool down naturally. :thumbs:

Guide to dismantling here ;)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... /index.htm

Nah, its an HP mate. Same fault though, and was gonna smash and chuck it, so nothing to lose by trying I guess!

Give's my dad a new toy to play with at least! :thumbs:

• 3 months later...

Amazing :) This is a trick that you can use with failed hard drives in certain circumstances. Sometimes the heads will stick and a good heat soaking (or a tap with a hammer) will free them up long enough to get any data off.

Pete