How many Zeds were sold in the UK?

Squee

Hi all,

Does anyone know how many Zeds were sold in the UK? Am right in thinking that Nissan kept the numbers of them for sale relatively low as to keep them somewhat exclusive? I think I've read recently that 3 RX8s were sold for every one 350Z. Also is there anyway of knowing how many imports knocking about?

This question's been bugging me for a while and Mr Squee's keen to know too.

Thanks!

S

PS did try searching on the forums for the answer but had no luck...

According to http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk there are 5775 left in the uk.

Plus the gt4 which is 192 I think???

Liam

If you look closely at the figures then you'll see there are 2 entries for The 350Z plus an entry for the GT4. Seeing as one of those figures starts in 2006 I'm going to presume that this is relates to the facelift cars. Therefore we have..

1507 Facelifts

5775 Pre Facelifts

162 GT4's

Grand total 7,444

I'm guessing that that figure includes both U.K and Imports (both Jap and Irish and possibly a handful from other countries) so there's no way of knowing exactly how many were imported. I've no idea if Channel Island/Isle of Man cars are included in the U.K figures, probably not I should think. Some U.K cars have been exported to continental Europe too....Nissan certainly limited the numbers of Zed's for The U.K and probably other markets too, they could have sold a lot more but they may not have had the capacity to make them.

Pete

Am right in thinking that Nissan kept the numbers of them for sale relatively low as to keep them somewhat exclusive?

No chance - having been around a few years now, I've seen the huge number of pre-reg that Nissan have tried to shift in each model inc the current 370z. They arent in any way trying to limit the numbers, they want to sell as many as they can make. Only the special editions were limited - but as the 40th Anni 370z went, there are more of them than other models so hardly limited :lol: In reality the demand just isnt there to make it a high volume sports car, Porker have that side sewn up nicely ;)

Am right in thinking that Nissan kept the numbers of them for sale relatively low as to keep them somewhat exclusive?

No chance - having been around a few years now, I've seen the huge number of pre-reg that Nissan have tried to shift in each model inc the current 370z. They arent in any way trying to limit the numbers, they want to sell as many as they can make. Only the special editions were limited - but as the 40th Anni 370z went, there are more of them than other models so hardly limited :lol: In reality the demand just isnt there to make it a high volume sports car, Porker have that side sewn up nicely ;)

From someone who attempted to buy one brand new back in early 2006 I can tell you that they just didn't have enough to go around. Having visited several dealers I pretty well got the same story from all of them, "3 months waiting list" and "need 2 grand from you today". I would also add that on the couple of occasions I saw almost new second hand ones advertised then by the time I phoned up they'd gone. I'm guessing Nissan concentrated on other markets for the 350Z, U.S.A and Japan would be two of them. Cars are built in batches so they would build all the U.K cars for one month in one go,(I believe The U.K was allocated in the order of 200 a month) they would gather together all the bits they needed, build the cars then move onto building for example U.S spec cars. It was only later on in early 2007 that you could actually walk into a Nissan dealer and expect to get one in a couple of week. Having ordered an Audi TT for Caroline back in 2001 and facing a long wait I asked the dealer after a few weeks why didn't they just produce more cars to meet the demand. The answer was "To keep them exclusive" and "to maintain a high resale value" :shrug: .

To answer Squee, I think the limits are set by things such as market research and how many they expect to sell. These at best are low volume production runs, compared to something like The Micra . AFAIK there was only one production line and only 2 places where the engine was made and bear in mind that this engine also went into other vehicles too. It just may not have been cost effective to build another production line or engine plant to sell 25% more cars.

Pete

OK so maybe I over-egged it a bit, but what I meant to say is they werent limiting sales - they were selling all that they could make. We had to wait 3 months for Amanda's Ibiza and also her Alfa, thats normal practice waiting for them to be built. Just because you have to wait for it to be built doesnt mean they are limiting it, its just not mass produced so they are all built to order. The fact they were trying to sell off a whole load of pre-reg later models and 370z's certainly suggests they didnt try to limit the numbers, it was just a case of previously they couldnt build them quick enough. Small but significant difference ;)

If you dig around that site, you can find out how many were registered. Also, I am pretty sure that the dvla model numbers split is between coupe and convertible rather than model year. Hence the stats are:

6,395 x coupe

1,657 x roadster

175 x GT4

---------

8,227 Total

No idea where the last GT4 went, but it was apparently not registered.

Only 7,444 of these are registered* as of this year and this number is likely to fall considerably over the next 2-3 years with the age & mileage of these cars creeping up towards the 10 year/ 100,000 mark where most cars on avergae go back to see their maker.

* this does not include those cars which are classed as SORN.

Nissan UK were allocated 1,000 cars per year (although 350Z sales halved in 2008/2009) so something between 5,000 and 6,000 UK cars.

There were a lot of imports in the early years and so given the figures above, there were probably ~2,500 imports.