Another engine needed! 2 blown 350zs in 1 week

stuRS

Hello again,

Bit of background - both me and my brother have 350zs, I sold him my UK GT about 18 months ago and subsequently bought another. Both cars are GM grey and both have just over 80k miles on the clocks.

My bottom end shat itself last Wednesday, ripping the entire engine to bits. I've just been told that my brother's car has gone bang whilst on the dyno at Abbey today.

Mark's on the case as is R55LEE, but it would seem that I've taken the only good value engine in the country for mine and now my brother is stuffed!

I felt compelled to share this as it's more than just a little odd. Mark suggested it could be that we've been running our cars on normal unleaded rather than super, but I didn't know that was a requirement. If it is then, well.....DOH!

Stu

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 I run super unleaded 95% of the time and never fill completely with unleaded when I have to buy it, having said that spursmaddave is approaching 100k and I think he uses regular most of the time but I'm sure he'll be along soon to confirm or deny :shrug: As far as I recall I think the handbook recommends 98 octane. Can running unleaded really do this? :shrug: It's a bit scary if it can :scare:

I hope you both get sorted ASAP :thumbs:

Dave is apparently on 98K!! :blush:

I'm hoping all these stories of engines going bang isnt down to running normal unleaded as theres a lot of people out there that do.

I assume you both checked and topped up the oil regularly?

Isn't it a "recommendation" to use super, and that you can use 95, you just don't get the same economy or performance using 95.

There are a heap of people running 95!

Surely you both check oil levels??

Isn't it a "recommendation" to use super, and that you can use 95, you just don't get the same economy or performance using 95

Pretty sure it tells you to run 98+ unless in emergencies then you can use 95. As Mark has pointed out countless times, it goes into high det map when you run 95RON which looses you power, but the assumption was this would also stop you engine destroying itself. If it doesnt stop it then this high det map cant be relied upon and everyone should most definately be using 98+ . However there are quite a few people who have run 95 for a long time. Dont know if they are just lucky or what. :shrug:

Page 8-3 of the 2004 handbook says this:-

FUEL RECOMMENDATION

Petrol Engine

Use unleaded premium petrol with an octane rating of 98 (RON).

If premium petrol is not available, unleaded regular petrol with an octane rating of 91 (RON) (yes it does say 91) may be temporarily used, but only under the following precautions:

Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular petrol and fill up with unleaded premium as soon as possible.

Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

However, for maximum vehicle performance the use of unleaded premium petrol is recommended

Isn't it a "recommendation" to use super, and that you can use 95, you just don't get the same economy or performance using 95

Pretty sure it tells you to run 98+ unless in emergencies then you can use 95. As Mark has pointed out countless times, it goes into high det map when you run 95RON which looses you power, but the assumption was this would also stop you engine destroying itself. If it doesnt stop it then this high det map cant be relied upon and everyone should most definately be using 98+ . However there are quite a few people who have run 95 for a long time. Dont know if they are just lucky or what. :shrug:

I think the main thing to take away from these disasters is never buy a car that StuRS has owned :p

Hahahha. You might be on to something. Oil levels checked yes but both cars were due a service, that's why my brother's was in at Abbey

Handbook says:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION

Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane

rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index)

number (Research octane number 96).

If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded

regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI

number (Research octane number 91) may be

temporarily used, but only under the following

precautions:

Have the fuel tank filled only partially with

unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with

unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.

Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

However, for maximum vehicle performance,

the use of unleaded premium gasoline

is recommended.

CAUTION

Using a fuel other than that specified

could adversely affect the emission

control system, and may also affect

the warranty coverage

and

Octane rating tips

Using unleaded gasoline with an octane

rating lower than recommended can cause

persistent, heavy spark knock. (Spark

knock is a metallic rapping noise.) If severe,

this can lead to engine damage. If you

detect a persistent heavy spark knock even

when using gasoline of the above stated

octane rating, or if you hear steady spark

knock while holding a steady speed on

level roads, have your dealer correct the

condition. Failure to correct the condition

is misuse of the vehicle, for which NISSAN

is not responsible.

Incorrect ignition timing will result in knocking,

after-run or overheating. This in turn may cause

excessive fuel consumption or damage to the

engine. If any of the above symptoms are encountered,

have your vehicle checked at a

NISSAN dealer or other competent service facility.

However, now and then you may notice

light spark knock for a short time while

accelerating or driving up hills. This is no

cause for concern, because you get the

greatest fuel benefit when there is light

spark knock for a short time under heavy

engine load.

So using 95 regularly is not recommended but whether 1 octane lower than recommended is responsible for blown engines ............

That said, we are certainly hearing about more engine failures as mileages creep up :shrug:

two blown engines from the same owner, who admits not to ideally looking after them. Although its tough luck and I wouldn't wish this to happen to any owner. I may just be being cynical but perhaps a slight coincidence :headhurt:

always kept an eye on the oil level and always used shell v-power

My 2p worth.

The fuel now comprises of bio ethanol at 8% concentration. This is a known engine blower upper and is a hotbed of debate weather or not it should be used.

Its causing all manner of problems in fuel terminals atm with pumps destroying themselves.

Just a thought. :dots:

M13KYF, I hold my hands up, I've not checked the oil level on a weekly basis or babied the car in any way. I warm it up and check my temp gauge and oil pressures on the dash, but I was under the impression that a big japanese V6 was a strong old lump and 1-2 octane rating wouldn't make a difference.

I was working in the city when I owned what is now my brothers car, so probably only covered 3000 in it before selling. My current car has done 14,000 miles since November on unleaded.

My brother told me that Mark at Abbey mentioned a sensor/detector that limits the car when lower octane fuel is detected. Apparently this works up to 4500 revs or so and then reverts to standard. Both cars blew with revs around the 6000 mark, any more info on this would be good, particularly for you fortunate soles with cars that are running.

It might be worth creating some form of sticky for new owners about correct fuels and regular oil checks, as I've bought 3 of these cars now and never been told to use super. As the mileage creeps up on the majority of 350zs this could become more and more common so lets learn from it before you too are hunting for a lump!

Stu

I tend not to take things in unless there's a diagram!

As I say, hold my hands up - but there's plenty of people who will think they are treating the car properly that could well be heading in the same direction as me and my slightly less attractive sibling.

Stu

:dummy: that's mad... you're avatar with knee down doesn't help me thinking that you must have been giving the car abit of stick from time to time :blush: The engine shouldn't blow though! Don't think petrol is the cause but sure what do I know. Do you fill the car up at the same place? What oil are you using, and do you change oil filter when you swap the oil out? I've never heard of engines blowing like described for Z's until now! I'll keep an eye out for an engine, but if you can't source one via Mark or R35LEE, well...

Is there any chance of your old engine and your brothers old one able to be repaired? (like bits from both engines plus new parts)

Can I also ask how you drive it? (I've heard these don't like to be reved like an inline four ;) )