3rd to 4th Issue (Manual)

ScottyZ

Does anyone else have a bit of a problem when giving it some welly and fast gear changing from 3rd to 4th? Sometimes I struggle to get it to go into 4th gear when performing fast gear changes and it either stays in neutral until 'eventually' finding 4th or slips into 6th. Curious to know whether others have this issue.

Cheers,

Scotty.

Ye Lexx, but heel toe (extra revs) is not required for upchange so would not really have any effect on the OP's issue.

I would take it to a decent dealer near you who has someone who has worked on 350's and 370's before. HPC as Chris suggested would be best :thumbs:

Ye Lexx, but heel toe (extra revs) is not required for upchange so would not really have any effect on the OP's issue.

I'm not so sure as the syncro rev certainly does work on upchanges and that is where the OP's issue lies so if it is switched on then maybe the problem does lie with the syncro match sensors, or what-have-you.

If there is no difference between the syncro rev being off or on then it sounds like a box problem to me :shrug:

£10 donation to the forum says turning the 'S' off doesn't fix the issue :thumbs:

Inclined to agree. From my understanding all syncro rev does is match the revs via DBW throttle to the transmission speed, its still the syncro mesh that will allow the shift to happen smoothly. Could be wrong, but I think the actual change is all mechanical, SRM just helps match the revs and match the revs only.

If no one else has this issue then I'll contact a Nissan HPC. Might just be me being too aggressive/clumsy. Strange how whilst on maximum attack it's only 3rd to 4th gear change that is difficult but when driving 'normally' or even 'spirited' there are no issues whatsoever.

Cheers,

Scotty

Scotty, go and give it a thrash with the 'S' mode off and see if it helps. The gears can feel a little notchy but never had a real problem selecting a gear.

Think a Nissan HPC may be best mate but make sure you take someone out in the car and have them acknowledge there is an issue as some places will just give you it back and say no issue upon testing.

Let us know how you get on :thumbs:

im having the same prob when i do a high rev fast change from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th and sometimes in other gears, i fitted a new clutch only 150 miles ago so maybe it needs to be bled?

Looking at your avatar you have a 350z. Its quite a common problem on a 350z. Do an advanced search for "syncro mesh" and you'll find plenty of info :thumbs:

Not had any real bother other than over enthusiasm getting from third to fourth, most of my trouble comes in finding sixth, I will probably get Nissan to have a look at some point soon.

This issue can be sorted fairly easy from inside the cabin. The gear surround and centre console have to come out and the rubber gear gaiter unbolting (4 x 10mm bolts), then you find 3 x 10mm bolts holding the selector shaft. These need to be slackened off so the triangular metal plate can be moved left slightly to stop you overshooting and going too far to the right when trying to get 6th. Go and see Nissan and get it done on warranty. :thumbs:

Not had any real bother other than over enthusiasm getting from third to fourth, most of my trouble comes in finding sixth, I will probably get Nissan to have a look at some point soon.

This issue can be sorted fairly easy from inside the cabin. The gear surround and centre console have to come out and the rubber gear gaiter unbolting (4 x 10mm bolts), then you find 3 x 10mm bolts holding the selector shaft. These need to be slackened off so the triangular metal plate can be moved left slightly to stop you overshooting and going too far to the right when trying to get 6th. Go and see Nissan and get it done on warranty. :thumbs:

Thanks for the pointer :thumbs: I'll book her in ASAP :)