Landline and broadband tech help please!

Stew

Ok, I'm having an issue with my phone line. For a while there has been interference on the line but I just ignored it as I rarely use my landline. So last week the phone displays 'check phone line' along with complaints from family that my house phone is always engaged. The phone is dead and unable to dial out.

So last night the broadband dies. I could find and connect to my router although all the settings had been lost. It wouldn't connect to the net though. I switched it on and off etc but no joy.

I unplugged all the lines from the main phone input and plugged the phone in, perfect clear line. I thought 'brilliant, the filter is knackered' so I swapped it this evening.

No joy!

Again the phone works but as soon as a filter is on the line it goes to sh1t.

Anyone have any ideas?

Are your phone line and Internet through the same provider?

Have you phoned them (both) to get the line tested?

If you web on to the router what does the connection status say?

The filter you swapped it with was it new?

Do you connect using wireless or cable?

Got to be the filter. By a process of elimination, when the phone is plugged into the socket straight it's fine, but as soon as you put a filter on it then it's rubbish, then it has to be the filter, even if it was different doesn't mean you don't have two dodgy ones.

/not_a_telecoms_expert :blush:

Got to be the filter. By a process of elimination, when the phone is plugged into the socket straight it's fine, but as soon as you put a filter on it then it's rubbish, then it has to be the filter, even if it was different doesn't mean you don't have two dodgy ones.

/not_a_telecoms_expert :blush:

I kinda agree with you on the filter thing... but Stew says he has tried a new one... depending on its age it may also be duff :surrender:

It could be noise on the line which will need to be re-calibrated by the ISP.

See if you can try it with a known working filter Stew, if that doesnt work, call the internet provider and get them to send out an engineer.

While you're waiting drop down the model number of your router and we can give you instructions on how to get the status (assuming you dont know)

I must say I think it's the filter. Or the addition of a filter that is causing it.

I'll try and get a known good filter, I'd buy a new one but no guarantee it's working I guess....

I have 'normal' phopneline and broadband, no cable option up here! The line is BT but Talk Talk supply.

It's bloody annoying when you get crystal clear phone line when plugged in direct but when you add anything it goes bad.

Rubbish!

Stew, just to be clear, was the second filter you tried brand new or another one you had lying around?

We had a similar problem last year with noise on the telephone line, we changed the filter for a brand new one and it was fine. On the other hand I have known faults in the exchange and between the exchange and the premises cause "noise" problems too. If you can, do what Doogy suggested and get both elements of the line tested and for the sake of a few quid buy a brand new filter too :thumbs::)

Apologies, the other filter I was using certainly wasn't new however it was largely unused.

I'll get a new filter at some point. I'm working all weekend so I might have to mail order one. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if my neighbours are having issues, I work long hours so haven't seen any of them!

Do it once - do it right - ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catal ... cts_id=105 . Splits the signal from the master socket so no other filters required in the house and keep the router as close to that as possible for the best speeds. I @*!# you not it got me nearly an extra 1MB/s. Funny how when we now move to Fibre to the cab (FTTC - BT Infiniti) - OpenReach now install faceplates that look exactly the same ;)

Thanks Chris, just ordered one of those, we're lucky to get 3.5mb/s here :scare:

Do it once - do it right - ADSL Nation XTE-2005 - http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catal ... cts_id=105 . Splits the signal from the master socket so no other filters required in the house and keep the router as close to that as possible for the best speeds. I @*!# you not it got me nearly an extra 1MB/s. Funny how when we now move to Fibre to the cab (FTTC - BT Infiniti) - OpenReach now install faceplates that look exactly the same ;)

Did some fault finding this morning, got a known good filter and router from my Mum.

My router appears to be knackered! the new one worked, phone line is clear and I'm posting this from my phone on wireless. So new router will be purchased!