Whinter Wheel Refurb.

AK350Z

After getting sick of seeing Fiat 15" alloys go for £200 on ebay, I had all but given up getting some winter (and smaller/more comfortable) wheels for the Punto. But then a mate at work tipped me off that there was a mk2 punto in a local scrapyard with 15" alloys on it.

So, a quick visit and a mere £40 later, I had a set of TSW alloys with knackered low profile tyres on. A couple of them had some big kerbing, so I thought i'd give them a bit of a DIY refurb. Amazingly, the first one has come out ok, so i've started on the second (so I can have each side of the car the same colour! :lol: ).

Also purchased some new Dunlop Wintersport 3D's with a nice comfy 60 profile from Camskill for about 65 each I think.

Pics!

Bit Chavvy, and kerbed up:

IMG_2299.jpg

Break out the wet+dry. Didn't have any filler, but managed to remove 90% of the scratching just by sanding.

IMG_2300.jpg

Masked and primed, then left to dry overnight:

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

Flatted down primer with 1500 grit and sprayed up with silver. Was never going to pick the right colour by chance so randomly settled on Rover Quicksilver! :lol: It's a really nice slightly satin silver actually. Much more modern.

IMG_2303.jpg

Finally clearcoated. Doesn't look too shabby:

IMG_2307.jpg

New versus old:

IMG_2305.jpg

Yep, i've got 40 miles of infrequently gritted A, B and fell road to get to work, so hopefully these will come in handy for piece of mind even if we don't get snow. I'm often setting off for work at 5.30am, so you don't even know the surface is icy until you see it glittering in your headlights!

Fab work Andy - quite impressed, you don't fancy doing our spare bedroom do you, it needs a lick of paint :thumbs:

Can I do it with rattle cans? :lol:

You can have rattle cans but you'll be handed a paint brush or roller to get the job done :teeth:

lovely job! given me some inspiration to get my standard wheels refurbed and sprayed up :thumbs:

what grade(s) wet and dry did you use to get the curbing down? adn was it regular clear coat laquer in the top?

60 and 80 grit briefly for the worst of it, then 120. Everything else keyed with 240 ready for primer. If you can get the high build primer to take out minor scratches get that, I couldn't see any in my local Helfrauds.

Normal clear coat on top yes.

Maybe a silly question Andy but have you tried the wheels on? I thought that grande puntos had different PCDs from Mk1/2s?

Yeah Stew, I had struggled to make sense of all the conflicting info with regards to that. I was quite hesitant at the scrap yard as i had no tools to try them on either. But I've tried one on at home and it fits fine :shrug: It's supposed to be 4x98 on the old ones and 4x100 on the GP isn't it?

So either these aftermarket alloys are a 4x100 pcd to start with, or the tolerances in the wheels holes are quite large! :scare:

I will go to the garage now and get the vernier gauge on them!

lovely job! given me some inspiration to get my standard wheels refurbed and sprayed up :thumbs:

what grade(s) wet and dry did you use to get the curbing down? adn was it regular clear coat laquer in the top?

60 and 80 grit briefly for the worst of it, then 120. Everything else keyed with 240 ready for primer. If you can get the high build primer to take out minor scratches get that, I couldn't see any in my local Helfrauds.

Normal clear coat on top yes.

cool, thanks for info! think i have some high build primer left from some previous side skirts repair! :thumbs:

4x100 on the new wheels, so maybe he had wobble bolts on the mk2?

No idea, maybe the mk2 is 4x100 too. I had a read on the fiat forums about it when investigating winter wheels and a spare for Jayne and they seemed to say they changed to 4x100 for the grande.

You got a score there! :)