How comfy are "racing/bucket" seats?

slimjim

Right... no, I haven't taken a crazy tangent off from my quest for a subtly updated OEM car...

I am thinking about building/buying something like this...

chair.png

So I would be sitting in it for LONG period... all day in fact while I am working. :wacko:

Should I just buy a "decent" office chair... or is this a good idea? :shrug:

My ass still hurts from my cobra in my old car :lol: and it looked just like that one but guess you wont really know till you sit in it as we are all made differently, generally is quite a tight fit with not much room for movement so if your body can cope being in the exact same position for a long period of time then i guess you will be ok but again depends on how you naturally sit and if it is going to force you to sit unnaturally, is there anyone you know who has one you can test?

BRIDES hurt like hell? Ouch, spend all that cash and they are painful after an hour... oh dear!

Pretty sure there is a Cobra place about 2 miles from me.... I hear they do seconds too B)

Suppose it might be worth a punt and get/make one. Then if it IS hell I can sell it on.

As you have said, problem is, they can be comfy for 10-20 mins, then HELL afterwards. And I doubt they will let me sit in on in the shop for 2-3 hours :D

Will continue doing research. Cheers guys. :thumbs:

The angle of your average race style seat will be wrong. As they generally slope up a bit similar to our stock seats but not the same. And yes they will lock you in pretty snugly, even given different widths. In a car, a really good race seat actually isn't uncomfortable at all, even all day, as long as you're belted in accordingly, either 4 or 5 point, especially with 5 as no chance of sliding forward at all. Personally if it were me, I'd just buy a good office chair. It's a novel idea, but might end up with pinched muscles in the back of your leg.

I bought a pair of front seats out of an impreza for £50 and use them. I was thinking of mounting them on top of an old office chair but just have them in front of the TV, playing racing games on the xbox has never been more fun!

They aren't too racy so are comfortable to sit in, can even recline in them...

I think I might be sick if I sat in an Impreza chair... Would I let one in my house? :blink:

;)

Good idea going for "standard" seats though bud... good idea indeed.

I LOVE my GT seats in the Zed.... :pmzmanalex::lol:

They're obviously out of a car if thats the look you're going for, but are a bit more comfortable if you go with a normal seat, from a car of your choice. I'm just not sure how the adjustment would work with a seat out of a zed as it's all electric isn't it?

They're obviously out of a car if thats the look you're going for, but are a bit more comfortable if you go with a normal seat, from a car of your choice. I'm just not sure how the adjustment would work with a seat out of a zed as it's all electric isn't it?

Would have to be the passenger seat as the back adjusts manually on that side.

Saying that, I have never sat in a scooby seat, they might be super comfy... :blush:

Right these two seem the only way forward in my opinion

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-F430- ... 19c94691c6

or pmsl

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-Martin-B ... 3cbca864f6

can claim it under expenses

or get a normal office chair everything else just looks like my cobra and thats not what you want to sit in for 8/9 hours of the day

After many years sitting in cheap office chairs, when I started my own business I spent some money on a good one - bought it in Costco, so it's probably an American make.

US chairs seem to be wider than UK ones, probably where Americans are more . . . .broad across the backside. This is also true in my case, which is perhaps why it feels comfortable for me

Still using it after 7 years and it's maintained its' comfort, so spending the money on quality has worked out cost effective

If you're in your office for several hours a day, definitely get a good chair

Get an Audi seat and do it, the ones in my car are really comfortable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/03-A3-SPORT-1-9-TDi-PAIR-FRONT-SEATS-HALF-LEATHER-CADDY-/250888302480?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6a1baf90#ht_1026wt_1185

You could make 2 out of these :) Driven to Germany and back in mine so should be comfortable in an office if you do go down that route.

I know what you mean bronzee... by the time I have bought a base and a seat, I could have bought a VERY good fully adjustable office chair. Which I could change till it was spot on.

Looks like just a gimiky thing.... :blush:

Will the chair need lowering and spacers though and new shoes?!

• 5 weeks later...
dont bother, i have one and its great to sit in for an hour but after that its a pain, it is at the wrong angle for long periods of use.

Lizard... you have an office chair one?

And you DON'T recommend it?

that is correct, mine has your legs angled up like a car seat so when your feet are lifted off the floor or are hanging straight down it is uncomfortable, if you were sat in it on the floor with your feet infront of you im sure it would be fine :) it is good but not for 8 hours a day in an office