Guitar Help, Antiques

Zedrush

Hi guys any help will be appreciated, I have a possibility of buying antique guitars for 6k in total, around 46 different types, but I havnt got a clue if I will make any profit on them, as I want to buy to sell. I dont know my brand names, they have been verified as authentic and I need to make a decision quickish, so if I could email pics to someone and they can give me idea if worth it that be great.

Makes range from:

Gibsons Flying V

Aria

Ozark

Greg Bennett

Talmax

Squier telecaster

Burlwood

Maverick

Westville

Fender Jaguar

hondo II

Italia

Santana SF PRS

PAcifica Yamaha

Tonewood

Gordonsmith

Fender Stratocasters variety

Squirer Precision bass

Fender Corona

Some of the dates are 1993 limited editions etc...

Any advice or help would be immensely appreciated, as I am clueless, they are all in really good condition, :blush:

Not a massive expert, but it looks like you have a mixed bag here.

I don’t think you would go too far wrong with the Gibson’s and the Fender stuff, as they are recognised brands.

The Yamaha & Squire stuff are generally known for beginners and I would not have thought that great news. Some of the other I have not heard of at all which kinda speaks for its self. In fairness there are some more knowledgeable folk on here, but I don’t know how quickly you will get an answer. :shrug:

FYI the only guitar dealer I knew personally, only dealt in Greitch's (big old Blues jobs!)

Aria, was the guitar too have in the 80's, I actually was dating the daughter of the sole importer of Aria and Roland into the UK at the time.

Got to meet Haircut100, patsy Kensit (stuck up cow!) and all Duran Duran chaps.

All the main 80's bands had Aria equipment.

Value wise, aint got a clue... :blush:

Here are a few I think may be woth a bit :thumbs:

Gibsons Flying VAria

Ozark

Greg Bennett

Talmax

Squier telecasterBurlwood

Maverick

Westville

Fender Jaguarhondo II

Italia

Santana SF PRS

PAcifica Yamaha

Tonewood

GordonsmithFender Stratocasters varietySquirer Precision bass

Fender Corona

You need to know the exact ages and editions of ALL of them. Stuff like an original Flying V will be worth twice what a later version would, if the PRS is a proper Santana then that's worth a fair bit alone, Squier bass is probably worth binning.

That said, for £6K I don't think you can go too far wrong assuming you have the cash spare and don't mind sitting on them while you find the right buyer. Also, details of the Jaguar would be great if you do decide to get the lot... ;)

Bear in mind

1) 46 Guitars for £6000 = an average of £130 each

2) You can buy a new Fender Squire for £80

3) Westfield Guitars start at £60

4) Some of the others mentioned may sell for up to £800 if in good condition

etc. etc.

so be very careful ... a 1993 guitar is not antique IMHO ... most desirable guitars come from the late sixties/early seventies ... stuff like Les Paul Customs or USA Fender Strats ...

for instance ... last year I was given the last Maverick to be built by Mark James (owner of the Maverick trade mark) - to me it's worth £1000 because of the provenance and the way it's been set up by Mark's guitar techy but I doubt I'd get more than a couple of hundred for it if I chose to sell

IMG_0363.jpg?t=1309452592

I also have a 90s Jackson ... I'd like to think it's worth £750 but I doubt very much I'd be able to sell it for anything like that

Anyway just my opinion but GLWTS

Yup I have an explorer and Black beauty les paul. The neck is heavy but thats only cause ur a little girl ;):lol:

The neck is heavy making it an unbalanced guitar when you are playing ya nobber. More effort trying to hold it up while playing. :thumbdown:

As for the black beauty - lovely looking guitar butni found the third pick up in the middle a pain the are when strumming - but I'm a fussy buffer :lol:

Its far from unbalanced..... its a strumming guitar or a riff guitar..... not really meant for fussy solo guitarists. As for the Black beauty it takes time to get used to it like all great things but once you have found the right balance the sound you can get from it, is truley gorgeous B)

Its far from unbalanced..... its a strumming guitar or a riff guitar..... not really meant for fussy solo guitarists. As for the Black beauty it takes time to get used to it like all great things but once you have found the right balance the sound you can get from it, is truley gorgeous B)

Knew it couldn't just be me:

http://guitarjan.isgreat.org/explorer-n ... -solution/

:p

You need to get someone who knows guitars to look at them and tell you what they think they are worth. Prices vary enormously, depending on year and where they are made. American made ones are worth more than those same brand ones made in japan or mexico

Im not an expert unfortunately so cant help. I do have a Epiphone Zakk Wilde bulleye signed by the man himself sitting in my living room tho! :)

It's very hard to make a profit on guitars unless you really know what you are getting. Antique guitars, well for me that would be pre-war Martin guitars as a minimum, those will go for in excess for £15000. Anything made of prohibited woods is worth a pretty penny now too (such as Brazilian Rosewood). Vintage Brazilian Rosewood guitars are worth a lot. This 1930's Martin for example has a label price of $72000! http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/2179 ... 045_41539/

"Vintage" guitars would be old guitars from the 50s & 60's. A first generation Les Paul is worth a fortune and so are many other old Gibson & Fenders.

Acoustic guitars is more my thing though and I would be more sure of what I was getting as I don't really touch electric guitars any more.

Some of the most knowledgeable people I have ever known on guitars are found here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/ although acoustic guitar is the main thing here, they do have an electric section. Some of the guys are collectors and world famous guitar builders.