Insurance Rant

SteveW

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago someone smashed the wing mirror off my Celica and some minor paint damage to door. I sourced a replacement for £70 second hand. Decided to call my insurance company because my my excess was only £100 and I had protected NCB and this would fix the door. Went as follows.

Me......Will claiming affect my premium next year?

Them......Yes, as you are making a claim you will be seen as a higher risk.

Me......But I have protected NCB.

Them......It will still affect your premium but not your NCB as you will be seen as a higher risk.

Me......Well in that case I will not claim.

Them......Now you have told us about this incident you will still be seen as a higher risk.

Me......So next years premium will go up regardless of whether I claim or not?

Them......Yes Sir.

Me......But what if I hadn’t called you.

Them......Then we would not know but it says in your policy all incidents must be reported.

Me......Well I guess I might as well claim then........

Eh.... :dry:

But surely if you hadn't claimed and moved to a different company at the end of that years insurance they wouldn't have known and you wouldn't have had to declare it?

But you'd still have to declare it or risk having your insurance voided if they ever did find out.

A few years ago someone smashed the wing mirror off my Celica and some minor paint damage to door. I sourced a replacement for £70 second hand. Decided to call my insurance company because my my excess was only £100 and I had protected NCB and this would fix the door. Went as follows.

Me......Will claiming affect my premium next year?

Them......Yes, as you are making a claim you will be seen as a higher risk.

Me......But I have protected NCB.

Them......It will still affect your premium but not your NCB as you will be seen as a higher risk.

Me......Well in that case I will not claim.

Them......Now you have told us about this incident you will still be seen as a higher risk.

Me......So next years premium will go up regardless of whether I claim or not?

Them......Yes Sir.

Me......But what if I hadn’t called you.

Them......Then we would not know but it says in your policy all incidents must be reported.

Me......Well I guess I might as well claim then........

Eh.... :dry:

But surely if you hadn't claimed and moved to a different company at the end of that years insurance they wouldn't have known and you wouldn't have had to declare it?

But you'd still have to declare it or risk having your insurance voided if they ever did find out.

Don't agree Dan. If your car is damaged as HaydnH has described where it is effectively a 'hit and run' and you can afford (reluctantly) to pay for the repair yourself then certainly you do not tell the insurance company.

The whole purpose of the excess is to reduce claims for relatively small amounts and that is partly why I opt for a higher excess - i.e. what I feel I can afford before a claim is made if it is my fault or dare I say where insurance companies opt for the shared blame. If the insuarance companies are satisfied you were not to blame then you should get your excess back anyway - hence having legal protection.

Of course the volunteering a higher excess at premium time also helps to reduce the premium, but I accept that what one person can reasonably afford another can't. :shrug:

After 46 years driving having never made a claim, other than for glass, the principle has worked for me although I hate to think of the thousands of pounds I have paid in car insurance over those years, so they have done very nicely out of me :dry::headhurt: