What to do?

stevo1179

Hi Guys,

Writing this for advice and closure.

Returned to my car after work today to find on of my colleagues had reversed into it. Putting a lovely dent in the o/s wing, putting a plum sized hole in the bumper and pushing the headlight back 5mm, alas no note. I work at a hospital in Cornwall, can only narrow the culprit to 300 cars, resigned to never finding who did it. The wing might be repairable along with the headlight, I'll need a new bumper though.

The dilema is; do I foot the bill or claim off my insurance? I'm 30 with 9 years NCB (not protected), £350 excess with a clean licience.

Needless to say I'm seething, praying (in vain) that they may have a guilty conscience over night and fess up.

Cheers,

Stevo179

put some quotes into your insurers website and add a claim in with all your no claims gone and a claim on your record.

Whatever the difference is between that and your existing premium X by 9 that gives you rough idea of the pain you will feel by claiming.

Basically don't bother.......insurance is practically a waste of money unless you crash into someone yourself!

Even if the bump costs a grand to sort (which I very much doubt it will if your just sorting the front bumper) your gonna be feeling the pain on losing the no claims every year for the next 9 years to get back to where you are now (obviously getting incrementally better with each year).

£375 extra for year one alone on insurance AND £350 for excess - £725 just for this year alone...........bumper wouldn't cost that much shirley?

How about taking a pic and add a note to pin on a staff noticeboard where you work that a 'grey' car has done the damage and would the person responsible kindly contact you before it is reported to the police as failing to report an accident - might embarass them to come forward or a colleague might know the culprit? :shrug:

How about taking a pic and add a note to pin on a staff noticeboard where you work that a 'grey' car has done the damage and would the person responsible kindly contact you before it is reported to the police as failing to report an accident - might embarass them to come forward or a colleague might know the culprit? :shrug:

+1 to this and keep your fingers crossed.

Mind you they would have known when they did it and if they didn't admit it then I expect they will keep their head down and hope. Still definitely worth a try.

And do a scan of the car park to find the guilty party.

Very frustrating thing to happen, hope you find the person before you have to take the knock yourself.

You don't lose all of your nine years no claims for one claim, just a proportion. Check your policy for details.

New front bumper from Nissan (Holdcrofts) last year was about £400. Proper paint job would be in excess of £200. Fitting is obviously extra unless you diy, but if your wing and headlight have been biffed aswell it might need a bit more to get it all lined up properly again.

Of course the irony with insurance is that even if you do find the culprit and their insurance pays up, your premium will still go up as you have a 'no fault' claim. As far as the industry is concerned, you are now statistically more likely to be involved in another accident and therefore a higher risk.

You may find your 'grey' car is in fact primer, may be worth double checking. Sorry to here your bad news chap, hope you get it sorted without too much pain.

You don't lose all of your nine years no claims for one claim, just a proportion. Check your policy for details.

Was just going to say this, you usually lose 2 years per claim.

I'd fix it myself still though.

Feeling slightly better now than I did 3 hours ago....it is only a car after all (albeit my pride and joy!!) Still can't get my head around how someone in the 'caring profession' can be so dishonest.

Thats why my Z use to live at the furtherest end of the car park, it meant i had to walk for a extra 2 minutes but at least i knew my Z would be safe :)

Was just going to say this, you usually lose 2 years per claim.

I'd fix it myself still though.

Well I never knew that...........don't suppose I ever build up enough no claims to find out when I've had crashes! :lol:

Feeling slightly better now than I did 3 hours ago....it is only a car after all (albeit my pride and joy!!) Still can't get my head around how someone in the 'caring profession' can be so dishonest.

Thats why my Z use to live at the furtherest end of the car park, it meant i had to walk for a extra 2 minutes but at least i knew my Z would be safe :)

Thay is exactly what I do, yet some village idiot still managed to bash it. A friend in the trade who will take a look at it tomorrrow, will update then.