Climate Control - Dehumidify?

Rob_Quads

All other cars that I have been in with Climate control includes an element of dehumidifying in it. Over the last few days I have found that the inside of the rear window has been really wet.

Today even after a 20 minute drive into work it was not clear and there was visible droplets on the window.

Does anyone else find that the Z is really poor at getting rid of water/damp from the cabin? Its worse that my mums old Micra! It will also not help things like the leather etc to have damp in the air all the time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All other cars that I have been in with Climate control includes an element of dehumidifying in it. Over the last few days I have found that the inside of the rear window has been really wet.

Today even after a 20 minute drive into work it was not clear and there was visible droplets on the window.

Does anyone else find that the Z is really poor at getting rid of water/damp from the cabin? Its worse that my mums old Micra! It will also not help things like the leather etc to have damp in the air all the time.

Mine has been exactly the same over the last few days and I've got mine set on fresh air.

Once condensation is in the car, it will more than likely stay in it until there is a passage for it to escape!

THe best thing for this is to open the window and let "fresh" air come into the car and circulate. I do this once a week to let all the moisture out.

Either that or buy a huge bag a silica Gel ;)

sl114 - Thats my point - in other cars - like my 206 (yes thats a car worth less than half the Z), the climate control included dehumidifying so I did not have to open my doors or anything to let the damp air out, over the drive into work it would remove all the damp and then it would be fine the next time I got in it. At most I would only ever have a tiny tiny amount of mist on the inside of the window where as I have a waterfall in the Z lol

I think the system in the z is quite sensitive.

The aircon system will always "condition the air" and this means some moisture will be removed when the A/C system is on. The system then drains the excess moisture out of the car through an a/c drain tube. (You will notice this more in the summer when there is a little pool of water under the car). However there will always be an amount of water in the system.

If you Activate the A/C for a while, this will gather water in the system. If you then switch the a/c off and run the heater only, the hot air will absorb water in the system and deliver it directly to your very cold windscreen, where the air cools down and cannot carry so much water therefore creating the condensation effect. So continuouns switching from ac/ on to ac off will make this effect worse.

In this particular car it is worse than others, but in effect all cars will suffer from this to some extent.

My suggestion, run the car on fresh air ( not recirculation) full windscreen demist at 25deg+ for as long as you can, this will clear the moisture in the system and the cabin. Then don't use the aircon at all in winter . Saves on fuel, saves on hassle.

(NOTE : Remeber to switch off the aircon when you turn the dial to windscreen as it automatically activates the airconif it was off)

And if you hear about a/c needing cleaning etc... I can tell you that I am pretty sure the A/C systems on Nissan has an an antibacterial coating treatment to prevent any potential concerns from not running the A/C over winter... but if you feel you need to ( for your own peace of mind) run it for a hour or so every couple of weeks and then do the process i mention above... I have no problem at all with this method.

My suggestion, run the car on fresh air ( not recirculation) full windscreen demist at 25deg+ for as long as you can, this will clear the moisture in the system and the cabin. Then don't use the aircon at all in winter . Saves on fuel, saves on hassle.

(NOTE : Remeber to switch off the aircon when you turn the dial to windscreen as it automatically activates the airconif it was off)

And if you hear about a/c needing cleaning etc... I can tell you that I am pretty sure the A/C systems on Nissan has an an antibacterial coating treatment to prevent any potential concerns from not running the A/C over winter... but if you feel you need to ( for your own peace of mind) run it for a hour or so every couple of weeks and then do the process i mention above... I have no problem at all with this method.

+1, I do exactly the same as you (+ i also activate the aircon one a week for half an hour or so) :thumbs:

My process is slightly different...

Normal running:

Left Dial on Auto,

Centre Dial on 22-23 degress, Fresh-air,

Right Dial: Aircon On and Auto.

Moist mornings (when the engine is cold and things look like they might get steamy):

Check centre Dial is still Fresh-air (it does seem to reset itself occasionally)

Check Right-dial still Aircon On andAuto

Left dial, Switch on Heated Screen/Mirrors and crank dial all the way round to Screen.

This clears the fron screen within quarter of a mile, then I rever left-dail to Auto. Rear screen clears within 1-2 miles.

Cheers,

JohnK