Unlocking a phone

coldel

I am in the process of doing this, I am just finding the whole thing just ridiculous in its concept and surprised that its allowed to happen in the first place.

You buy a phone from Orange, they lock it so you cant use it with another network. I am leaving Orange to go sim only after having the phone for two years, but the sim only vodafone option needs the phone unlocked which costs £20.50 from Orange.

So, they lock the phone that you buy for yourself which makes it your property, but then they put their little stamp on it to restrict your usage of your property.

I understand their business perspective but I find it all just terrible treatment of a customer. Its ridiculous.

I am in the process of doing this, I am just finding the whole thing just ridiculous in its concept and surprised that its allowed to happen in the first place.

You buy a phone from Orange, they lock it so you cant use it with another network. I am leaving Orange to go sim only after having the phone for two years, but the sim only vodafone option needs the phone unlocked which costs £20.50 from Orange.

So, they lock the phone that you buy for yourself which makes it your property, but then they put their little stamp on it to restrict your usage of your property.

I understand their business perspective but I find it all just terrible treatment of a customer. Its ridiculous.

If you look around there are bound to be places you can get this done a lot cheaper. There's a guy near where I live who has a little electronics shop who'll do it for between £6-10. I've also seen some websites which offer to send you unlocking codes for a few quid - though depending on your phone type this may have to be entered every time you turn the phone on.

I do agree it is pain they tie the phones to their networks. But hey ho :shrug:

Once your cobtract is up you can do what you like with the phone. For the record, O2 didn't charge me a penny to unlock my 3GS and it was all done via the interwebs.

Exactly, wit O2 complete an online form and you get a message a few hours later to say it's done although they quote 28 days IIRC. I did this when handing over my old one to my girlfriend

Doing a little google shows that if it's PAYG or monthly Orange charge the unlock fee, diabolical if you ask me!

Edited as I didnt say it was with O2