Anyone know anywhere cheap to stay in New York?

marzman

Hey all,

Im going to New York for Christmas, but on a budget... :lol:

My Dad lives in upstate New York so i'll be spending christmas week with him, but i've got 6 days i can spend in New York City before i go up to his... but i dont really want to spend much, as im planning on being out most of the time...

Has anyone stayed at any bargain motels in Manhattan...?

Also - flights... the cheapest i can find is £460 per person for return flights... that seems expensive, or is this about right??

Any help much appreciated.

I went to new york with Gf Christmas just gone, we stayed in Mid town at the New Yorker hotel, it is centrally located on 35th St ( i think ) small rooms but everything you need plus a diner called Tick Tock attached so breakfast is nice and easy.

What dates are you flying?

Not booked it yet, but looking at 17th - 30th December...

I've been going through TravelSupermarket.com and Lastminute.com, but you cant tell anything from the 2cmx2cm pictures they have on those sites :dry: ...i need some real opinions or experience... or someone with an apartment out there who wants to rent it to me...!

marzman, it depends what you mean by cheap really, you are talking about New York after all :D

I had a nose on Trip Advisor and the Candlewood Suites New York City-Times Square seems to rate ok as a 'budget hotel'

You'd probably be looking at £580 for Saturday through to Wednesday and it's not that far from Times Square either.

We always find Trip Advisor a good place to start then branch out from there.

A lot cheaper to stay in New Jersey and get the bus into New York. I was looking at an overnight stay on my way back from Denver and some sightseeing in New York. Found that Hotels in NYC are very expensive and Hotels near to Newark Airport come in at about 50% of the price. Some even offer free transportation into New York :thumbs:

Price for flights sound about right, cost me £600 to get to Denver in early June last year, November is usually the cheapest month for flights, prices get hiked for the Christmas period. Continental were the cheapest in 2009/10 from Manchester and as luck would have it their hub is at Newark, Delta used to be the cheapest but have ramped their prices up over the last few years.

Pete

Thanks all,

Yeh tonight i've found out it's far too expensive to stay in Manhattan, so looking at the other islands, this one seemed the best deal i could find. £71 per night is very cheap, and it's a 4*, and is only 10mins from Manhattan. Only down side is the poor reviews from the guests, saying its very loud (as there's a night club on the top floor!).

http://www.ravelhotel.com/default.aspx?pg=gallery

Flights - i'll check eBookers, thanks Maccaman.

Oh, and since i grew up watching Home Alone, i've always wanted to stay in The Plaza hotel, just for a night to say i've done it... but for 1 night the cheapest room i could find was £662, so i'll be giving that a miss :surrender:

Is there anything this forum cannot help with :thumbs: Glad to see you found everything you wanted, have a great time.

Thanks Pal... i would have got such good flights without you... :thumbs: The best deal i could find was flying to Amsterdam first before onto NY :lol:

Actually this thread has been helpful; I've been to NY before but my girlfriend hasn't and it's a milestone birthday (30) next year and I think it would be a good way to celebrate so I've bookmarked a few of the links (used Expedia last time). I Stayed at the Hitlon Garden Inn Times Square, basic hotel but fantastic location.

It just seems so expensive especially as it was $2 to £1 when i went (2007); I doubt I'd be lucky enough for work to send me around her birthday :lol:

Enjoy