Performance 4x4's

thebesh

As much as I LOVE the Zed I'm thinking it really has to go next year for something more practical, but still with some poke.

I've toyed with the idea of

Porsche Cayenne (S or Turbo models),

Range Rover Sport Supercharged,

X5 V8,

Audi S3

I really like the interior of the Porsche and I reckon the Turbo model would be heaps of fun.

Love the outside of RR Sport, but interior is a bit plastic in my opinion

Interior of X5 is nice, but not to nice to look at

Audi will be the most economical and less tax + maybe the quickest (other than Porsche Turbo)

Any ideas/suggestions/comments?

I've just paid 460 quid for 12 months road tax and know that 2 months will be almost undriveable - this is one of the reasons the zed has to go.

Cayenne Turbo is devastating. Official figures clam 2 mpg difference between the 4.5 V8 in the S and the Turbo.

RRS is hugely thirsty. My Dads mate had one and got 13mpg going from Aberdeen to Glasgow!

X5 V8, powerful but it has to be the later style as the old one has dated hugely.

Audi S3 / S4 / RS4 etc are great however don't have the same ground clearance as a proper 4x4.

Do you feel you need the extra performance or do you just think you'd miss it?

I'd get a boggo Diesel jeep and then either get a car toy for summer or invest in a motorbike! :D

Sorry but how is a Porsche Cayenne (S or Turbo models),Range Rover Sport Supercharged, X5 V8 practical ??

Do you live in the country ?

How are they not?

And yes to the second question. ;)

Sorry but how is a Porsche Cayenne (S or Turbo models),Range Rover Sport Supercharged, X5 V8 practical ??

Do you live in the country ?

How are they not?

+1

I can't think of many more practical "performance" cars.

How about a Panamera? I love those :cloud9:

If your after a proper 4x4, I would go with the latest model Toyota Landcruiser V8 Twin Turbo Amazon B) I have had mine for about 14 years, 150,000 on the clock and still going strong!

Amazing car, great reliability, quick, not bad mpg and the noise it makes, on top of that, you get loads of gadgets, luxury and a 4x4 capable of going anywhere.

Bling bling wheels on a jeep is laughable.

The landcruisers there couldn't get out of a puddle with it's road biased rubber band tyres!

Mal, one piece of advice with any of the jeeps you look at - get a good all weather tyre. Most of the ones you've listed will come with completely road biased rubber and will be rubbish in winter. 4WD only works if it can get grip. ;)

Second set of winter wheels with proper tyres might be required. :)

The landcruisers there couldn't get out of a puddle with it's road biased rubber band tyres!

Mal, one piece of advice with any of the jeeps you look at - get a good all weather tyre. Most of the ones you've listed will come with completely road biased rubber and will be rubbish in winter. 4WD only works if it can get grip. ;)

I wouldnt agree with you completely there.

I have 20" rims on my cruiser with 295 45 20 Kuhmo tyres and they were Brilliant through the snow and Ice. We got quite a bit too and I still travelled to work everyday in it 120 miles a day, even on the motorway where all you could see was snow and cars sliding. I even tried to slide about but the 4wd system in the landcruiser is so goood. :)

In my opinion it is down to your tyre choice and tread pattern. Obviously for more harder off roading like thick mud ect you will need decent tyres.

I have 20" rims on my cruiser with 295 45 20 Kuhmo tyres and they were Brilliant through the snow and Ice. We got quite a bit too and I still travelled to work everyday in it 120 miles a day, even on the motorway where all you could see was snow and cars sliding. I even tried to slide about but the 4wd system in the landcruiser is so goood. :)

In my opinion it is down to your tyre choice and tread pattern. Obviously for more harder off roading like thick mud ect you will need decent tyres.

Whats a motorway????? We have to drive 90 miles to get to one of them. :)

20s with an all weather tyre will still perform. 20s with road biased rubber will fail miserably. I have seen many a blinged X5 on 22s stuck in the snow.

Its like Battle for Middle Earth when the Scots need to get to civilization

.......Turn left out of the 'shire, into Mordor, battle with the Nasguul and hang a right into Eisengaard then your there. :lol::boxing:

20s with an all weather tyre will still perform. 20s with road biased rubber will fail miserably. I have seen many a blinged X5 on 22s stuck in the snow.

Yeh, those x5's and range rovers have such a small tyre profile that there is hardly and flex in the sidewall.

Its like Battle for Middle Earth when the Scots need to get to civilization

.......Turn left out of the 'shire, into Mordor, battle with the Nasguul and hang a right into Eisengaard then your there. :lol::boxing:

For me it's head to the sea from the shire, turn right at kepplestone, follow signs to Perth then get on the Motorway! :lol::lol:

Do you feel you need the extra performance or do you just think you'd miss it?

I'd get a boggo Diesel jeep and then either get a car toy for summer or invest in a motorbike! :D

So yeah Stew I think you've hit the nail on the head - I THINK I would miss the performance and hence the choice of motors. It doesn't have to be a beast of a car - luxury is more important inside than being able to put the thing up the side of the worlds steepest hill. Chances are the thing won't see much past the worst of road conditions. My folks have a Freelander 2 and it's an ok ride, but zero grunt under the bonnet.

I work from home a lot these days and this past year I've only clocked 6k on the zed (which is my only wheels) and so I reckon I can handle having another big petrol engine as a tank could/should last me a couple of weeks at least.

I have thought about getting a banger for driving in @*!# conditions and for taking the dog out, but then it's another hassle putting an older vehicle through MOT, Insurance, etc. Meanwhile the Zed sits mostly unused in my garage - I kinda feel I'd be better off cashing in my chips and then buying something for "one size fits all" vehicle that ticks all my boxes.

Supercharged V8 Range Rover Vogue is what you want. All the toys and comfort with the sound of the v8 to keep you happy :)

Alternatively I'm selling my 1986 v8 Defender!

Only 120ish thousand miles, 11 careful owners, few minor dents and scratches, 8mpg (motorway), 3" lift kit and full body roll cage.

Extremely practical!

149260_446312706149_514636149_5850444_2297132_a.jpg