What will give me increased BHP and Torque?

DoubleDeuce1973

Ok, so I have done plenty of searching on here but can't get a definative answer to my question.

I am thinking of making some modifications to the Z with the aim of getting a little more power. I have looked at 06 airboxes, performance filters, exhaust systems, plenum spacers etc. There seems to be mixed views around what these types of mods will actually do, with many saying the ECU will just cancel them out.

Is this the case for all of the above mods or are there some gains to be made?

I am not looking to spend thousands on TT and SC mods.

Is there anything under a Grand or so that can squeeze a few extra horses out?

in their airbox their is a trumpet shaped object; this is the velocity stack, it is placed on the entrance of the air box to spread the air out across the filter. the newer air boxes had a larger one, i've got a kit in production that converts the old air boxes in to the new type ones.

bigger trumpet = better air spread = more bhp

as for the uprev, i believe its about £350 ish

Oh yeah, I have read your post and registered my interest.

So where can I get an uprev done, and what is this likely to give me on an otherwise stock model (have a K&N filter and will have your airbox once done).

Noticed the Abbey post was around £2K for the full package being offered which is a little too much at the moment.

their full package also ncuded a load of other stuff like exhaust etc,

a standard uprev is about £350

I'm sure uprev was more in the region of 400 at abbey. Rs tunin in Leeds is a bit more expensive. Horsham developments were doin a deal I think.

their full package also ncuded a load of other stuff like exhaust etc,

a standard uprev is about £350

I'm sure uprev was more in the region of 400 at abbey. Rs tunin in Leeds is a bit more expensive. Horsham developments were doin a deal I think.

give or take £50, yeah, but it certainly isn't £2000

So what increase could I expect from a remap?

depends on what mods you have on already,

i think the honest thing to say, is you won't gain masses of BHP from it, but, and this is a big one, it greatly improves how the car performs, so you want have as much bragging rights in the pub, but she'll ahndle and accelerate a whole load better, and make use of what you actually have.

if you want big gains you have 2 choices, go FI or buy a faster car

you could attach an actual horse to the front of the car.....keeps insurance and emissions lower :thumbs:

LOL!

Was something that crossed my mind but imagine the mess when I floor it.

Not after massive gains but a little here and there all adds up and if I can push close to the 300 mark I will be more than happy. Quite like the sound of just improved driving and feel to be honest.

I'm in West Midlands, anyone know the nearest place for me to enquire?

As you mentioned from your research, the modifications alone will not give you any more power. The ECU needs tuning/remapping to get the benefit from the mods carried out.

There are people that believe fitting an induction kit and exhaust etc... gave them an increase in power but its very likely that it just sounds more powerful and the dyno often shows a loss after mods without a tune.

If you have a budget (say 1k) I would suggest getting a quote for a UpRev remap (around £400 ) and then decide on what mods to do with the remaining £600 and do them BEFORE the Uprev.

Performance filter, Plenum spacer, decats and Uprev would be a good start and would probably give the best gains without spending a fortune.

Have a look through the Dyno thread in the performance section for an idea on what gains are made from what mods. Also read anything with dyno, uprev, abbey, rs tuning, in the title as some people have individual threads with dyno sheets that are not in the dyno thread.

Gains aren't big without FI but most people report a massive improvement in drive-ability.

:)