TCS vs Talent....

slimjim

The few times I have needed it to come on... it has.

Like the first time I came out of a roundabout in the wet, without thinking about it, 2-3 days after I had it, driving it like it was FWD...

I got just a slap on the wrist to say... "Calm down dear" ... Which I am VERY grateful for, as it has all ways done what I needed/wanted it to.

But nine times out of ten, it comes on when I don't need it to.

As I said in the OP, if it is dry... OFF

If it is anything else... wet/damp/uneven surface/over cast/chance of damp... ON.

Those are my rules, I will stick to them :dummy:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can push very very hard on track without it lighting up. The only place I had it kick in is coming out of the hairpin in at Knockhill in second and catching the kerb causing a little spin.

Even with it the stability control stays active. I had it at kick in ,even with tcs off, when I came out the chicane at knockers. I caught the kerbstone and it shifted the weight of the car causing it to slide a bit and I could feel it working my front brakes.

As said I push very very hard and it doesn't light up often

As said I push very very hard and it doesn't light up often

Yours is the facelift ...

Could be an alteration between the two models? :shrug:

It could be mate. I've also had a massive amount of suspension changes and wheel alignment changes done to the car.

Don't get me wrong if I drive "badly" i can light it when going into 4th. In all honestly, with all due respect, I think the driver has the most effect on the tcs due to driving style.

I have booted my car out of corners with TCS and nothing, my Falkens stick fine absolutely no problem no spin no loss of control, not a hint of it in fact .

If that's true, then you're really not trying hard enough ;) Falkens aren't the grippiest of tyres in any condition, and with 300bhp to play with you should be lighting them up at will.

Don't get me wrong if I drive "badly" i can light it when going into 4th. In all honestly, with all due respect, I think the driver has the most effect on the tcs due to driving style.

I couldn't agree more. :thumbs:

Usually drive with it on but off on certain days whens its nce, had jdm 17s would kick in all the time even in bone dry conditions, had it on in the wet and still slid into a concrete posts (poor door im still looking!!!)

I think tyres are a major major thing with tcs ive had rota gtrs on for 3 weeks now with super steels all round even in the torrential rain tcs hasnt come on once...i turned it on and off earlier just to make sure it was still working :lol:

I have booted my car out of corners with TCS and nothing, my Falkens stick fine absolutely no problem no spin no loss of control, not a hint of it in fact .

If that's true, then you're really not trying hard enough ;) Falkens aren't the grippiest of tyres in any condition, and with 300bhp to play with you should be lighting them up at will.

I like to think of falkens as the rich tea biscuit of the tyre world, a little bit of heat and they go all soggy and mushy.

I can light up pzero's, re050's and ps2's on a 275/35/19 size. It's very easy to do so but it means you're driving poorly unless intentional. If you can't spin falkens then you haven pushed hard enough.

I can light up pzero's, re050's and ps2's on a 275/35/19 size. It's very easy to do so but it means you're driving poorly unless intentional. If you can't spin falkens then you haven pushed hard enough.

This is the point I was trying to get at. Yes its easy to get the TC to blink if trying, but on the roads you shouldnt ever see it if driving properly - unless you are hoofing it intentionally.

The car can be driven quicker with TCS off, no question. Thats says to me that if its flashing up you arent pushing to hard, you are just approaching the limit of what the car is happy with, which is fine. Poor tyres, alignment and road conditions can affect that of course, and Id certainly recomend any driver who isnt totally confident to use it in the wet, but in the dry I find it affects driving enjoyment and performance. :thumbs:

Oh, and if you cant tell when your wheels are spinning try watching the rev counter next time ;):D

Ive found on the very rare occasions Ive driven with it on it tends to go on hard upshifts (usually 2nd > 3rd) or when cresting, both of which arent really major issues AFAIC. :)

I like to think of falkens as the rich tea biscuit of the tyre world, a little bit of heat and water and they go all soggy and mushy.

Brilliant! :lol:

Lol I made a fail, I have altered to what I should have said lol

But this is exactly my point, why is the TCS coming on with my softly softly driving style? I average much closer to 30 mpg than 20 and rarely give it the boot but even then the friggin TCS comes on - when it does come on its not consistent either it comes on goes off comes on again.

Might be worth getting it checked and a dyno run...maybe I havent got anywhere near 300bhp...

When pushing on, the traction control does kick in early.

Even with the TCS turned off, the stability control is still active and can kick in. I have found this to happen on trackdays.

The stability control can be turned off though.

Even with the TCS turned off, the stability control is still active and can kick in. I have found this to happen on trackdays.

You mean the thing that brakes both front wheels if it thinks you have downbshifted too far??

:bounce: HOW DO YOU TURN IT OFF, TELL ME MAN, ITS NEARLY KILLED ME A COUPLE OF TIMES!!! :bounce:

I use to find it very hard to get the TC to kick in in the dry with RE040's on the 350Z, it also made the car very stable in the wet and gave confidence to push it a little. I found it would allow you to play abit before it saved you.

My previous Z4 would kill all power very easily in all conditions which left you sitting there until you lifted right of the loud peddle, it also wasnt as stable in the wet. If you turned in too quick and tried to floor it it just wouldnt do anything, atleast the 350 would let you play abit even with TC on.

I've had my mk1 mr2 for 6 years now and got caught out the other day, in the wet i still drive like a granny on the way to church on a sunday.

Hoping to get an Elise next and will be looking into some advanced driver training or beginner track days before i go mad in the Elise.

You mean the thing that brakes both front wheels if it thinks you have downbshifted too far??

:bounce: HOW DO YOU TURN IT OFF, TELL ME MAN, ITS NEARLY KILLED ME A COUPLE OF TIMES!!! :bounce:

PM'ed

Oh dear! Husky's warning coming out loud and clear there ;) I have been testing this week also!

He is a wise GIT isn't he :lol:

:lol: In fairness, I work in a company making >500Bhp RWD cars and have done advanced driving courses. Most of my mates I have in the passenger seat have various advanced driving and track licences, some of them being race drivers and test drivers. But the reason I really know what happens is that, even with all this wisdom and sound advice around me, in the past I have also been a tit... :lol:

Glad you're alright mate :)

PS: If you really hate the wheels spinning up get wider ones, I can't say it will improve the handling but it will certainly improve grip.

PS: If you really hate the wheels spinning up get wider ones, I can't say it will improve the handling but it will certainly improve grip.

Nah - All this talk about drifting and handling a Zed without TCS and no-one has mentioned the need for the Zed to have a decent LSD over the frankly naff OE viscous type.

Best mod on my (well now Keysers) Zed was the Kaaz diff - better on track than the SC IMHO - totally controllable sideways action (when it eventually let go) and far better putting down the power.

Nah - All this talk about drifting and handling a Zed without TCS and no-one has mentioned the need for the Zed to have a decent LSD over the frankly naff OE viscous type.

Best mod on my (well now Keysers) Zed was the Kaaz diff - better on track than the SC IMHO - totally controllable sideways action (when it eventually let go) and far better putting down the power.

I'm sure I did ;)

At the moment, Im driving the zed with no traction control at all. The traction control light is on and the slip light so no help at all. I think its fine, but when you do give it a boot, all you can smell is rubber :lol: You get used to it though and it will make you a better driver I believe!