Button - worlds best driver?

WINKJ

Hamilton will bounce back from the last two races, he will learn from them and in a month or two it will be all forgotten and everyone will be saying what a fantastic driver he is again. :)

A month is a long time in motor racing!

Lewis was outstanding and what with keeping his cool after the dramas getting him to the grid. Jenson was a right plonker going into the RB bay :doh: And if he wants to retain his Maclaren seat he needs to up his game.

:lol:

Button is second in the world championship..... why does he need to up his game? I think you are confused with Hamilton!

Mr Beavis and I have had a certain ongoing debate over the years on here about the relative merits of him being a Lewis fan and me a Button fan and as usual he has lifted an old quote of mine (from the result of the Chinese GP on 17/4) into this latest post race discussion. And as I said in response, I think we can safely say Button has now done just that and upped his game.

Lewis is a racer - more so than Jenson has ever been, but he lacks a wise head on his shoulders and so whilst he may be quick I'm afraid we seeing too much of the red mist hence why he is cocking-up in what of late is coming over as desperation for results. As we have now seen over recent seasons, it is invariably the car/team strengths that will decide the Championship driver and it is highly unlikely anyone other than Vettel will now succeed this year.....

Just to put a cat amongst the pigoens!!

I think Webber is a better driver and if it wasn't for bad luck, poor pits and idiots taking him out he'd be doing a lot better. :#1:

Just look at how many fastest laps he has over teh past 6 races!

What is with Red Bull and Webber's KERS system?

Surely the hardware has got to be the same as the system in Vettel's. Week after week we hear that Webber has no KERS once again.

Helmut Marko looks after Webber's KERS :lol:

Is Button a good driver? Clearly. Did McLaren finally make the right call strategy-wise and it really paid off for them? Undoubtedly. Is Lewis still the most exciting driver to watch simply because you have no idea if he'll be genius or mental? Oh god yes.

Is Lewis still the most exciting driver to watch simply because you have no idea if he'll be genius or mental? Oh god yes.

Very thin line isnt it ;)

Always the case with the best drivers ;) Non thinner than Senna's

When JB was allowed the DRS in the final lap I was already on the edge of my seat but I knew getting past Vettel was still a long shot. No longer than 5 seconds after saying to my missus Vettel is going to have to slip up, did he literally do just this! Just shows that its worth pushing to the end!

Enjoyed this race very much!

Button is one of those drivers who on his day is brilliant. Yesterdays romp through the field was one of the greatest drives ever seen in F1 certainly in the same class as John Watsons drive from last on the grid to first (in the dry) back in the 80's.

Pete

Blimey, some real nonsense been written in this thread, to be expected in the hamilton vs. button fan debate i suppose.

Being a particularly long time F1 fan but not really a mclaren fan or JB/LH fan I would say from an objective point of view

it would appear that the two mclaren drivers are very capable but various abilities come to the fore in particular circumstances.

Button doesn't appear to be as impatient and therefore is better placed to put in a performance as he did. lewis is starting to

look a bit desperate with the realisation that they cannot really out perform red bull regularly enough, which is probably hard to swallow

when you come in to F1 already in a winning team, or a team with a car that can win you the championship.

I think what a lot of people are missing is that the most interesting part of sunday is how vettel dropped the car under pressure

from button, he's obviously struggling with the notion that his car is no longer quick enough to allow him to scamper off

into the distance without a worry, especially seeing as wet conditions somewhat negated the extra aerodynamic performance

of the red bull, and we all saw what happened when it came down to just the driving.

It was by no means the best drive of all time but it was impressive.

I think what a lot of people are missing is that the most interesting part of sunday is how vettel dropped the car under pressure

from button,

I wouldn't read too much into that, Jack Brabham did exactly the same thing at Monaco in 1970

Note the pit crew standing on the road and photographers in near suicidal positions :scare:

Pete