Engine flush- good or bad?

rtbiscuit

i've been have a discussion with different people about doing an engine flush. and i'm getting mixed responses so i was interested to see what others think on this forum.

have had several people say that mixing oils is bad, produces gunk and the only way to clean it is an engine flush. then put in fresh oil

others have said; engine flush is bad as it may not remove all deposits, and make it worse by then making the sludge move and block important parts, or that it leaves flush in the engine which is bad, or that it does clean the sludge, but then leaves parts unprotected.

in my research i came across this

i'm interested to hear other peoples thoughts, i've never done one on any of my cars, but as i've bought an older car with in some respects an unknown history; as you don't know what and when the previous owners/garages ahve used as the receipts just say oil.

I used engine flush on my 172 at 80k and it seemed fine still going now. Would I use it on my dads 160k mile merc probably not. IMO the safest way is to drop the oil change the filter then put a cheap decent oil in like unipart or comma then drive it for 20-50 miles then drop it whilst it's still warm. When it starts to dribble out pour more oil in the top to drag more dirty oil out.

I used engine flush on my 172 at 80k and it seemed fine still going now. Would I use it on my dads 160k mile merc probably not. IMO the safest way is to drop the oil change the filter then put a cheap decent oil in like unipart or comma then drive it for 20-50 miles then drop it whilst it's still warm. When it starts to dribble out pour more oil in the top to drag more dirty oil out.

DBlock, the youtube vid is talking about using chemical engine flushes, not a double oil change type flush.

Be careful with Chemical flushes. I would go for double oil change if you really have to do it, but to be honest, use a decent oil and do the regular oil/filter changes and it shouldn't be an issue. Oils have moved on a lot in the last 10 years :thumbs:

I wouldn't use it. Having rebuilt several High mileage V8s and motorcycle engines, and seen the thick sludge on some internals, I'd rather it stayed where it is than get loosened up and end up in the crank, oil pump or where ever. If people did regular oil changes they wouldn't get the build up in the first place. Regular oil changes is cheap insurance!

I don't have a problem with using fuel system cleaners though which Mr Honda says are bad too, as they (the Motorex one I use) remove water from the fuel system and help clean any 'varnish' up. But obviously, an actual injector problem is probably better treated with sonic cleaning.

I used it on the MR2, the VXR and the 350, but I won't use it on the 911. Make of that what you will.

i must admit i was going to use it in the Jag, but i have decided not too. its had regular oil changes on all service intervals, so i think the internals will be fine. i will open up then engine and have a peek just to check though.

I don't use engine flushes and I never have.

The double oil method is best.

However I always use millers CRX 10w-40 ester based synthetic oil and when the oil change comes around its usually still quite 'clean' i.e. goldy coloured so I don't feel the need for it.

If it were black black I might consider it but then you need to be aware of removing any carbon deposits that might actually be helping prevent leaks.

i'm doing its first ever oil change next weekend, so will see what the colour is like then.

i must admit i;d never thought of doing one its only until a mate said i should flush the engine as thats what their garage reccomends as mixing oils turn normal oil into sludge.

WLMG flushed my engine for free on the 350z at its P3 service. Cant say I noticed much if it did anything. As the others have said if you change oil frequently then it shouldnt need it though.

I know that's why I explained to use the double oil type.

DBlock, the youtube vid is talking about using chemical engine flushes, not a double oil change type flush.

When I got mine I could see from the Nissan service history that it had been flushed every other service - so mine has been flushed - no probs - but then my oil is changed every 4k miles - or sooner if I've been tracking - with Motul so I know there's no gubbins in there to be disturbed and cause any issues :shrug:

I wouldn't...just change the oil very regular... I usually leave the oil in most of my cars for UPTO 1000 miles only..the Zed is different it gets a change every 4000. So no dont do it I feel its a bit of a hangover from the 50's. BTW hows the jag any opinions yet?

I wouldn't...just change the oil very regular... I usually leave the oil in most of my cars for UPTO 1000 miles only..the Zed is different it gets a change every 4000. So no dont do it I feel its a bit of a hangover from the 50's. BTW hows the jag any opinions yet?

loving the jag. all good opinions,