Machine polish?

stuarty

Ive recently had a go at detailing my Zed. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out!

I bumped into a good friend the other day, who is a top class spray painter. He commented on how well my car was looking and offered to machine polish it for me.

He said that he would clean it down with a solvent cleanser then using a very fine grade wet paper remove any debris thats left. Then he would machine polish the whole car and Finally machine wax and then hand wax the car with a silicon free wax.

Any thoughts/ opinions on this as i'm not sure? :)

Unless he really knows what hes doing with sandpaper I would steer clear unless you have seen examples of his work - and polishing is a totally different art to being a good sprayer. Most painters will be used to the normal G3 after a paint to get rid of any small imperfections where as 'detailers' will often do a lot more than just use some G3

I would start of with a clay bar followed by a mild polish. They would sort a good majority of the defects. See what its like and if you want to go for an abrasive polish do so then seal and wax it.

Unless he really knows what hes doing with sandpaper I would steer clear unless you have seen examples of his work - and polishing is a totally different art to being a good sprayer. Most painters will be used to the normal G3 after a paint to get rid of any small imperfections where as 'detailers' will often do a lot more than just use some G3.

+1 and to what Dan said above too.

Wet sanding is only required if you have orange peel, and it will take a reasonable amount off already thin laquer, so I would only do it if the orange peel is really obvious or on panels that have been resprayed.

Any sprayer worth his salt, will always nib and machine polish,after a spray job, IE go over the whole car with 1500 or 2000 grade wet n dry abrasive paper, and then something like G6 or similar for a final polish.

If they just use G3 steer well clear, as that just a bodge!

I have machine polished my 350GT twice now, with a very fine compound, looking at the paint thickness it may just take a quick go with 2000 before polishing, but i wouldn't want to push it really.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Yeah the guy is really good, he's an independent, but he does alot of repair work for the dealers around were i live. My brother in law was trading in his burgandy vectra for an insignia. There was damage to the front bumper and loads of scatches and buff marks from trees on the drivers side. I got my friend to repair and paint the bumper and machine polish the whole car. My brother in law couldnt believe the difference and ended up keeping the vectra.

Ive already clayed the car, then used Autoglym High definition cleanser, hand polished it with super resign polish and finished it off with two coats of high definition wax. As i said im really happy with the finish, but my friend could see a few blemishes. ;)