Anyone used BG44K fuel additive?

drivebyabuser

I met a guy in a car park the other day with an '04 GT that he had had since new. He told me that BG44K fuel additive and carbon deposit cleaner had worked wonders on his Zed. It gave him.... drum roll .... 2 or 3 extra mpg on an urban cycle and 4 or 5 mpg on the motorway.

Its £20 per can so not a major risk - i just dont want it to ruin my lump!

Has anyone used it? Is it snake oil?

Having googled it there seems to be some quite positive reviews and mentions in various forums.

Would be interested in any informed opinions

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/news/bg-44k-for-petrol/30/

cant hurt to try it

What proof do you have of that? Are you willing to pay for a new engine if it damages his engine?

Seriously mate?? Some people on here amaze me. It's upto the op to try, all rt said was it can't hurt to try. If it damages his engine then there is no liability on rt at all. It would between the op and the place he purchased from/ manufacturer. If the goods are legitimate then in theory it shouldn't damage the engine. If it does then it's upto him to pursue the relevant legal action to reclaim any loss due to the product being misrepresented in it's sale.

In my opinion I don't think the stuff will do what the guy said it will. It may clean out any dirt from injectors etc and help the car be healthy again but 5mpg more is alot.

People on here amaze me too. The op was asking for guidance about whether it could cause any damage. Posting opinions without any evidence to back it up is irresponsible.

Maybe it won't cause any harm. Maybe it will over long term use who knows. Do you?

Won't damage the engine (as a one off usage), but as the normal treatment level for detergent in gasoline is measured in parts per million it "might" be better to put it in more gradually, say over 3 or 4 tankfuls. Of course, I have no way of knowing what exactly is in BG44K but it certainly won't be 100% detergent. I worked for a company that produced gasoline detergent and I would inject 1 ml of the concentrate per tankful. The actual production cost including the profit we made was quite high, about 3-5 times the cost of engine oil from what I remember, so yeah £20 isn't too bad.

Pete

Plenty of equally valid points, but let's calm the posturing a bit chaps.

A quick Google will give you plenty of positive reviews on the stuff so I'm fairly convinced it's not going to damage your engine, and tbh it's probably just a different mix of the usual kerosene/random additives that you get in any other engine/injector cleaning stuff. Worth a punt I reckon.

I'If you really want a product that cleans everything out, get yourself a can of 10K Boost (available from Halfrauds). Comes in a spray can and you inject it directly into the intake post-MAF (so very easy to do on a Zed) whilst someone sits in the driver seat and puts some mild revs on the engine. You'll be amazed at the amount of black crap that flies out of the exhaust!

cant hurt to try it

What proof do you have of that? Are you willing to pay for a new engine if it damages his engine?

i read what the website said,

nothing corrosive in the additive to cause damage. plus a lot of positive reviews, and also becuase like any other fuel additive it generally does not alot.

if he was talking of putting sugar in his tank, i'd probably tell him its not a wise idea. but as far as this stuff goes its a fairly safe bet.

hope thats ok.

• 2 weeks later...
if you can fill up a 350z for 15 quid i'm impressed :lol:

and yes super has some cleaning properties to it, but not to the level that this or other fuel system cleaners use.

Indeed, i was just referring to the price difference between normal and super unleaded.

sorry just being difficult.

agreed it is more but not by much difference is about 10 p a litre between the 2; 70 litres = 7.00 so twice the price, but its a one off or once a year job.

i've got what seems to be blocked injectors on cylinders 1 and 8, i ran some STP through on the long drive down and that cleared the code, but its not quiet right, so i'm hoping this stuff will finish the job as its apparently 18% better than the rest of the fuel additives out there. if that doesn't work, then i'll take the fuel rails off and get them cleaned by hand.

agreed it is more but not by much difference is about 10 p a litre between the 2; 70 litres = 7.00 so twice the price, but its a one off or once a year job.

i've got what seems to be blocked injectors on cylinders 1 and 8, i ran some STP through on the long drive down and that cleared the code, but its not quiet right, so i'm hoping this stuff will finish the job as its apparently 18% better than the rest of the fuel additives out there. if that doesn't work, then i'll take the fuel rails off and get them cleaned by hand.

would you not be better off getting them ultrasonically cleaned and pulsed?

would you not be better off getting them ultrasonically cleaned and pulsed?

yes; thats the next step if this doesn't have the desired effect.

its just the difference in price thats all.