Go bridgestone potenza or not?

derek1howe

Hi guys,

I'm gunna be looking to get myself some new tyres for the front of my Zed pretty damn soon. Its running bridgestone potenzas all round atm, looking into the price of these tyre they are not cheap. Now im not looking for cheap tyres but is there something more reasonably priced that someone could recomend me that are in the same sort of league?

Any advice would be great ! thanks for your time.

I went for Falkens last time round, and apart from taking a few hundred miles to bed in they are Great :thumbs: .......and less expensive than the bridgestones B)

Thanks for the reply.

Cool, will defo have a look at the cost of those then. You know any where that sells at a good price off the top of your head ?

It depends, if you like the 'stiff' feel of the car, with weighted precise steering then yeah stick with bridgestones.

If you think the tyres are too uncomfortable or too stiff and prefer to absorb bumps rather than feel them then go for the Falkens or Toyos.

I have falkens at the moment and they are too soft for a heavy car like the Z if your driving near the limits of the car, the sidewalls are really soft and give you an almost double entry feel when turning. If you only use the Z for pottering about in then this won't cause you a problem however.

Other tyres to look at are the vredestein ultrac sessanta, they have a fairly stiff sidewall and offer better performance and feel over falkens and toyos so middle of the road between cost (falkens) vs performance (bridgestones/michelin etc)

I have falkens at the moment and they are too soft for a heavy car like the Z

Have you tried upping the pressure? I've got 38psi in my front Kumho's and it restores a lot of the feel and stiffness. No problems with uneven wear either.

Yeah I have about 38 in the fronts, its just the nature of the tyre.

Don't think there's many tyres out there that have stiffer sidewalls than the RE040's that were on before, i've got used to it now but many people rave about Falkens but forget to mention they do drive a bit differently. Grip is good though :)

Suppose it depends how much you key into changes, some people can drive along with a puncture and not know about it etc :headhurt: everyone is different hah

Thanks for the input guys defo gunna have a shop around.

I'm not gunna be driving the really hard often, during the week it's just backwards and forwards to work but I wanna be able to drive it a bit harder now and again it's part of the fun of having a car like the Zed.

I'm not gunna be driving the really hard often, during the week it's just backwards and forwards to work but I wanna be able to drive it a bit harder now and again it's part of the fun of having a car like the Zed.

The falkens will be fine for you mate. If you did however track it then i expect you wouldnt really enjoy it but if its just road driving and a blast on country roads at the weekend then i think you will find them perfect for your application

The falkens will be fine for you mate. If you did however track it then i expect you wouldnt really enjoy it but if its just road driving and a blast on country roads at the weekend then i think you will find them perfect for your application

My car is my daily runner and I track it often.

Goodyear Eagle F1A tyres are much better than the Falkens and not much more money if you haggle.

Quieter and you go faster. What more do you want? :thumbs:

Goodyear Eagle F1A tyres are much better than the Falkens and not much more money if you haggle.

I have eagle f1's on my suzuki and they are amazing. It's the v-grooved ins though. Is it goodyears you use on track captain?

I have eagle f1's on my suzuki and they are amazing. It's the v-grooved ins though. Is it goodyears you use on track captain?

Yep.

I'm going 1.5 sec quicker this year at Castle Combe with no performance mods (except for the resonated cats)

Only spun once so thumbs for Goodyear :lol::lol:

Yep.

I'm going 1.5 sec quicker this year at Castle Combe with no performance mods (except for the resonated cats)

Only spun once so thumbs for Goodyear :lol::lol:

Lol I think your driving is just getting better ;) I may have to take a look at these tyres. How are they in the wet?

• 4 weeks later...

Going back in the thread a bit.. but for all us 'Ampshire lads/lasses Micheldever Tyres will price match against any legitimate price you can find on the web. Top class fitting and service too.. had my previous MR2 and 307 daily runner re-booted there :thumbs:

I've had the Toyos and RE050A's, but have just put a set of S001's on and they are a leap ahead of the RE050A's. Personally I like a stiff and accurate feel, and do not mind the slightly less progressive feel of them. The Toyos I felt were very squidgy and junked at first oppurtunity, but they were progressive. It depends what you want in terms of feel.

Bridgestones > falkens

Buying 'cheap' is a false economy, my bridgestones have lasted insanely long, I mostly do commutes and long trips with the odd meet up and blast around and my RE050A's have lasted nearly 24k and still a bit of life in them. I can't see Falkens lasting anywhere near that long as that as they are very soft.

In the cold and wet the Bridgstones need to warm up a bit but then if you are driving like a loony in the wet or ice/snow then you deserve to be sitting in a ditch :drive1

I was looking at getting a whole set of Falkens for £450 delivered or just changing my rears for RE050A's for just under £300 and I know which way I will be going. :thumbs:

False economy yeah I agree, but some people see one bigger purchase of £600 every 20k to be more than spending £450 every 10k :headhurt:

Yeah true and depends if you need all 4 in one go or indeed have the cash... not saying anyone who buys Falkens is a fool, just that they are cheaper for a reason :p

Hi,

Sorry to crash a thread but what's an approx cost for a Potenza? I'm going for a second viewing of a Zed later and noticed on my first visit that one tyre will need replacing soon-ish and want to know an approx cost for haggling. It has Bridgestone's all round so might as well keep it that way.

Cheers,

S.

I've just popped on a pair of Bridgestone RE050A DZ on the rear, replacing cheapo no-name worn out shag-nasties. Night and day! :thumbs:

It's so much more planted and the grip is phenomenal. As they were fresh out of the moulds I thought I'd spin them up once or twice to get some heat in and wear off the lubricant. The feckers just gripped and I took off like a rocket. I had to find a damp patch and get some lock on to break traction. Very impressed so far. FTR I paid £380 inc fitting, balancing, etc.