Texas Trip - Day 9 - 5 Zeds and 1 million bats

captain

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 4 - Road to San Antonio via Freeport, Bay City and Edna.

Back to Millers after the hippy breakfast yesterday. :lol::lol:

Proper American breakfast of Papas and eggs. Didn't quite know what to expect but it turns out this is potoatoes, onions, peppers, sausage all mixed up with scrambled eggs. Served with soft tortillas, juice and coffe. Mel had the veggie version. :yawn:

Felt surprisingly good considering last night and the fact it was 08:00. Aviators needed though...... :bangin::band:

IMAG0016.jpg

Only a face a mother could love ;):lol:

Been there........................why is it you always feel and look sh*t after the night before :lol: . Enjoy the rest of the trip.........................................PS Where is Sue Ellen? Has Mel sent her packing?

Day 5 - The Alamo

Breakfast gratis at the Comfort Suites. If you've ever stayed in one, you'll understand why. :yuck:

Could have tarmacced the M1 with the scrambled eggs but, just 'cos I think I'm going gay (more later) I had juice, coffee and something called yoghurt?? Guardian readers may have heard of it. Quite nice really.

Off to the Alamo. Now, I didn't know the full story but it goes something like this:

John Bonham and David "Jim" Bowie were on tour in the '70s and met up for a drink at this hotel called "The Alamo". Evidently it all got a bit messy and they refused to pay the bill. They holed up in the bar with 30 or so roadies and Dave Lee "William " Travis. Some Mexican waiters, under General "Manager" Santa Anna laid seige to the bar for several days. DLT wrote an impassioned telegram to the rest of America but only Davie Crockett, from Miami Vice, turned up. This clearly wasn't enough (especially without Tubbs to help) to fight off 2,000 angry waiters so they all died.

I'm sure that's all true. Here's the proof:

_DSC4447.JPG

Clearly the record companies had to cover this up. This accounts for Bowie cahnging his "image" many times and Bonzo growing a long beard and getting fat. Stand-ins you see. ;)

And here's what's left of the bar/hotel:

_DSC4471.JPG

Along the River Walk. Really impressive. Here's a hotel lobby:

_DSC4477.JPG

and out along the river. Saw nutters on Sadways:

_DSC4501.JPG

and a heron (crane??) trying to eat some ducklings:

_DSC4592.jpg

When I saw some trees melting in to the ground I knew I was too far from a Mojito so had to turn back. It was 3:00 and In America, that's the beginning of Happy Hour: :teeth:

_DSC4530.JPG

And where else better than Happy Hour then on top of a 750' tower:

_DSC4631.JPG

_DSC4642.JPG

At that altitude it's very easy to go from mildly sophisticated to mildly silly in 4 cocktails flat:

_DSC4649.JPG

_DSC4664.JPG

Evidently only the restaurant portion of the top of the tower rotates but TBH I couldn't tell after the 4th one: :lol::lol::wacko:

_DSC4653.JPG

Everything went techni-colour after that. Thinking of chopping in the Z for this puppy:

_DSC4732.JPG

or was it this one?

_DSC4733.JPG

And to top it all, this on the way home. :yahoo::yahoo:

Unbelievable! Only in America. :):):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf_jku_Qs9o

I'm taking notes as I'm off in around 4 weeks! Also taking a Mustang in the southern states, but had a choice between the Camaro SS & the Chevy Corvette convertible special edition for the West Coast leg. Opted for the convertible. Now wondering whether it was the right choice :)

Day 6 - Let's go GAY!!

Up and out early to look at some of the pretty little towns to the North of San Antonio. Took the TX87 and not the I-10 so we could go via a place called Comfort.

Very pretty. Lots of Germans settled here last century and it's evident in the architecture:

_DSC4756.JPG

_DSC4759.JPG

_DSC4758.JPG

_DSC4752.JPG

_DSC4751.JPG

All very nice but nothing beats a drive-thru BANK :lol::lol:

_DSC4747.JPG

On to Frericksburg which is VERY pretty. Fist building is a public toilet!!

_DSC4771.JPG

_DSC4773.JPG

_DSC4803.JPG

_DSC4806.JPG

The store below had "testers" for EVERY single thing they sold, about 10,00 items. Spent 45 minutes in there eating everything from peanut butter to chillied pickles to jam to cream cheese etc. Will shortly be applying for a heart transplant but for the time-being, still beating........ :boxing:

_DSC4785.JPG

The town is so pretty, in fact, that I decided to complete my Texan "look" by buying a hat. Nobody in Texas doesn't have a) sunglasses B) facial hair and c) a hat. I had bought the shades in Galveston, and been growing some fuzz since landing. Now it was time to top it off with something!

I had visions of Robert Redford in Butch Cassidy but unfortunately I've turned in to one of the Village People. :blush::blush:

_DSC4790.JPG

_DSC4794.JPG

Few nice cars as well. First one does NOT need lowering. :scare:

_DSC4770.JPG

_DSC4796.JPG

_DSC4809.JPG

Z count now about 15. They love 'em and they look great as they're so different and there are very few TTs and Z4s to dilute the effect of seeing one. :thumbs:

Then back to San Antionio for happy-hour up the tower (again) and an Italian on the River Walk.

America is rubbish!

_DSC4825.JPG

Back home now and suffering a bit with jet-lag and whatever.

I'll post up the rest of the story if anybody's interested. :thumbs:

Austin and Dallas were epic.

Here's a taster.

Guess where?? :teeth::teeth:

_DSC6394.JPG

PS - There is no chance of installing a camera in there. I tried. :blush:

Is that the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders dressing rooms? :teeth:

:worthless:

Exactly. Or I WILL abuse my Mod powers and issue you a :banned:

Ian and I are waiting patiently live the pervs we are!

Oh yes. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

They were out I'm afraid. :thumbdown:

I left my number and a picture in each locker.

Surprisingly no calls as yet. :shrug::shrug:

Maybe they can't read your handwriting? ;)

Oh yes. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

They were out I'm afraid. :thumbdown:

I left my number and a picture in each locker.

Surprisingly no calls as yet. :shrug::shrug:

Maybe they can't read your handwriting? ;)

Maybe they can but they don't like the product.............. :lol::lol:

_DSC5079.jpg

Loved every bit of this :thumbs: More !

Thanks. Here you go then...................

Day 7 - Leave San Antonio for Austin.

Took the back roads instead of Interstate 35 so it was the TX281 to Canyon Lake and then on to Padernales Falls and Dripping Springs.

Canyon Lake was rubbish. Not really accessible for the public and mainly used for boating.

Padernales Falls was much better. As usual, almost completely empty with about 30 people milling around a 10,000 acre State Park. Not much in the way of "Falls" but this allows you to walk across the river as opposed to being, well, drowned.

_DSC4836.jpg

_DSC4842.jpg

Don't try taking these in the Winter. You'll get wet........ :boat:

_DSC4855.jpg

_DSC4889.jpg

_DSC4894.jpg

And don't do this either. :headhurt: Mummy and Daddy will not be happy.

_DSC4872.jpg

This was the hottest day so far, high '90s, with the sun reflecting off the rocks it really was scorching. Few more piccies of the surroundings and a stroll thru some woods and then off for a dip, Texan style. :lol:

_DSC4908.jpg

_DSC4920.jpg

_DSC4999.jpg

_DSC4969.jpg

_DSC5048.jpg

Now that I'm GAY and FAT and HAIRY I thought I would try some mating poses to attract some "hairy bears" out of the woods. Nobody came to play with me but several people shouted "faggot" or "go home you fat poof" and, most worryingly, "hey mom, look at that man with tits!!" so I think I might go back to being HETERO where I belong.........

_DSC5080.jpg

All this Olympian swimming and river-fording was hungry work so a quick blast to Dripping Springs (make your own jokes up) for a Taco Bell and then on to Austin.

_DSC5100.jpg

Austin was a revelation. Hotel on 4th Street was v. posh and right in the middle of the action. Easy to get to the city centre as opposed to the horrors of San Antonio.

_DSC5382.JPG

Out on the town straight away. When you turn the first corner and see this, you know you're in for a good night: :band:

_DSC5101.jpg

6th Street (yes, it's "world famous") really is worth the billing. About 20 bands were playing so we walked up and down and had a "starter" of some blues. Probably the best blues band I've seen and REALLY loud (feedback galore :thumbs: ) for 6 in the evening. All the bars have open windows so you can poke your head through and pick where you want to go:

_DSC5105.jpg

Had "a few" in there so needed a pit-stop. Chose the healthy option after the calories consumed in the Taco Bell:

_DSC5120.jpg

And the boys were back in town............. B)

_DSC5119.jpg

Band 2. Don't want to sound gushy but we REALLY lucked-out here. I watched them tune up thru the window and they were all amazing or "ossum" as they say in Texas. Sat at the bar and watched them play NON-STOP for 3 hours. And I mean NON-STOP. One long medley of cover versions. Johnny T from Nashville. And yes, they were the best cover band I'd ever seen. Might get married just so they can play at the wedding....... :lol:

_DSC5142.jpg

_DSC5173.jpg

_DSC5206.jpg

7 hours of drinking and 1 slice of Pizza can only lead to one place at 2 in the morning. Duelling piano bar where we were invited to stuff some money "in her box" to "stop her pussy getting wet". Evidently it was about a cat but by that time.................... :bangin::bangin:

_DSC5219.jpg

_DSC5231.jpg

Strange, after watching this for 10 minutes, all I could think about was bed. I'm definitely ditching the GAY....... :lol::lol:

Sounds and looks like you had a great time :thumbs:

Which was your favourite bit of the trip? I think I know ;)

Breakfast. :lol::lol:

:snack:

:lol::lol:

Ok then, let's rephrase that. Who would you like to serve you breakfast ? ;)