Black 350z, scratch marks NOW visible after polish

coldel

Having bought a somewhat tatty black 04 ZED I have spent a few weeks getting it back to how it should look. I put some Super Resin Polish on it but its literally filled all those scratches I couldnt see before with white polish, and there are a fair few, now they show up.

I have had a look online and Poorboys Black Hole seems to be a good option to get rid of all the marks. I do have a tub of this kicking around at home as well...would it be any good at sorting this sort of problem out? It looks like just a standard wax?

http://www.lusso.com/oro.htm

you really need a machine polish to get rid of them , then concentrate on good washing and drying techinque

from what i have found over the years SRP , black hole, lime prime etc only really work on very light swirls

i would invest in a polisher and some pads/polish

My Kuro is gleaming, i only really wax it now and give it a polish with my machine every 6 months using the menzerna range of polishes.

Black Hole does a giant wee on anything else I've used on any car - it rules! You can really see how it fills the swirls and light scratches up.

Never seen it in 'tub' form? Its usually in a bottle and smells quite edible......in fact does anyone else have an urge to eat most of their cleaning products?? They all seem to smell so good!!!

poorboys-black-hole-glaze-lg.jpg

Best thing for swirls and scratches is a proper machine polish.

All of these products merely fill in or hide the marks, they don't get rid of them. The marked layer of paint has to be removed with a fine cutting agent and a rotary.

It costs a lot but then again, its a time consuming job, I did a car and it took 18hrs to get it sorted, some cars can take as long as 50hrs! But the results are very worth it if you like to keep your car looking it's best :)

Bullitt - something I've been meaning to ask Tim at Envy for a while but you may be able to answer.......

When you have a scratch (even a really light one) it always seems to be white underneath which I've always assumed meant it was down to the undercoat.........so how does machine polishing get rid of it?

I'm only using a DA so its never going to do the proper corrections but I've never understood how it works?

Or am I looking at something thats not undercoat?

Bullitt - something I've been meaning to ask Tim at Envy for a while but you may be able to answer.......

When you have a scratch (even a really light one) it always seems to be white underneath which I've always assumed meant it was down to the undercoat.........so how does machine polishing get rid of it?

I'm only using a DA so its never going to do the proper corrections but I've never understood how it works?

Or am I looking at something thats not undercoat?

Some cars, depending on the colour, use white primer, often bright coloured cars such as reds, blues or yellows so it could be that that you're seeing...

General rule of thumb is if you can catch your finger nail in the scratch then its too deep to machine polish out.

A machine polish/rotary/orbital etc is usually a variable speed machine that can use a different variety of size and type of heads. You use a cutting agents with these heads to remove the marks - cutting agents vary in the depth of "cut" they give to the paint, some will cut deeper than others and some are used for final stage polishing. Cutting means the amount of paint the machine and agent will remove, don't worry, it's microscopic layers. Paint thickness is measured in Microns, a decent cut will remove a few layers but not all unless you're being a complete idiot with it.

Cheers mate.

More so on my Lancer I seem to get really tiny hairline scratches that are white but you don't seem to be able to feel them with a fingernail.......suppose it could just have really thin paint - seems to stone chip like a biatch too.

Cheers mate.

More so on my Lancer I seem to get really tiny hairline scratches that are white but you don't seem to be able to feel them with a fingernail.......suppose it could just have really thin paint - seems to stone chip like a biatch too.

Japanese cars, particularly Honda, Mitsubishi and Subaru have stupidly thin paint that damages very easily.

you really need a machine polish to get rid of them , then concentrate on good washing and drying techinque

from what i have found over the years SRP , black hole, lime prime etc only really work on very light swirls

i would invest in a polisher and some pads/polish

My Kuro is gleaming, i only really wax it now and give it a polish with my machine every 6 months using the menzerna range of polishes.

My problem with keeping the car clean is that I can't actually park it near my house, so no plug socket option is available...

It's a long job to machine polish, but if you have a friend with one or can buy one and use it at a family members it is well worth it. I thought my car was pretty faultless but after my first attempt I managed to get some decent results and realised that the car had more marks than I thought. Just remember, you need to give it a really good clean before you use a machine polisher. That's what makes the day so long, just getting it ready to polish :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...