Tyre help needed please!

Bundus

Hi guys

I have the Volk Racing TE37 on my zed at the moment in 18". Unfortunately I do not know how wide they are. I have Bridgestone Potenza GIII tyres all round.

Now the front tyres are done so I need to replace them but Im struggling to find decent part worn's to match the sizes I have. I was wondering what other size tyres would fit my wheels but without knowing how wide the wheels are Im a little stuck.

The tyres sizes on there at the moment are 275/40/18 at the rear and 245/40/18 at the front.

Is there any way I can measure or work out how wide my wheels are?

Once I know this information can I apply more then one size tyre to my rims or do I have to stick to the tyre sizes quoted above?

Cheers all.

Wheel size and offset is usually stamped on the back of a spoke or something similar.

Or you could measure it. :shrug:

If the tyre on there now fit right, ie not too wide or not too stretched then go for the same size.

Also how do the actual tyre's on there fit on the wheel., if it is stretched on a 275 then you might have a 10" rim. I have 285's on a 9.5" rim and they fit perfectly square so I would imagine you might have a 9" rim. Or maybe a staggered set up?

Having just read another ferocious attack by Ekona on anyone who disagrees with him regarding tyres, can I ask why this guy isnt being picked up on using partworns when apparently mismatched tyres will cause the holocaust?? ;)

Anyway, TE37's WILL have the width stamped on them somewhere, and generally will have the offsets (which doesnt actually affect tyre width) on a sticker although sometimes it will have come off. Trying to guess the width from the tyre doesnt work as different tyres have different sidewall designs.

Simply put, you could go +/- 10 on the width (i.e 275 can be replaced by 285 or 265) without any major problems, although if you want the perfect width for the wheel youll need to whip a tyre off and measure from rim to rim. :thumbs:

And unfortunately being a massive wheel geek, I can tell you that your wheels are either 10.5J ET22/ET15, or 9.5J ET40/35/22 unless they dont fit ;):D

Cheers for all the help guys.

Basically I need new fronts to pass the MOT but am a little broke at the moment so was going to get some part worns so I can keep driving it then replace all 4 when im a little more flush.

Was looking at replacing all 4 right now but struggling to find any decent rears in the sizes I have - hence why I thought I could look at other sizes.

I have found a couple of MPS2 for the front but one is 93Y load and the other is 97Y load. Is this legal for the MOT or does the load rating have to be the same too?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers for all the help guys.

Basically I need new fronts to pass the MOT but am a little broke at the moment so was going to get some part worns so I can keep driving it then replace all 4 when im a little more flush.

Was looking at replacing all 4 right now but struggling to find any decent rears in the sizes I have - hence why I thought I could look at other sizes.

I have found a couple of MPS2 for the front but one is 93Y load and the other is 97Y load. Is this legal for the MOT or does the load rating have to be the same too?

Thanks again guys.

I very much doubt they all have to be the same. Once there is no damage to the tyre it self and there is legal thread on it, it should pass the MOT!

Having just read another ferocious attack by Ekona on anyone who disagrees with him regarding tyres, can I ask why this guy isnt being picked up on using partworns when apparently mismatched tyres will cause the holocaust?? ;)

Go and find a post of mine that says you can't use partworns on a car, and that any tyre should be brand new. If you can, I'll give £20 to the charity of your choice.

Try actually reading what people write in the future instead of assuming. I don't ferociously attack people who disagree with me, I simply point out when people when they're being idiots, tyre-related or not. As it stands, the OP sounds perfectly sensible to me.

So its OK to buy and run partworns with unknown history, but running mismatched tyres is potentially life threatening?? Jesus. :wacko:

I know you are all about balance rather than overall performance, but thats even worse than when you claimed 4 poor quality matched tyres were worse than 2x2 high quality mismatched tyres as the former would make the car more predictable. Yeah, predictable that its going to lock up while braking or aquaplane unexpectedly. :dry:

And since you asked, some recent quotes:

"what's the point putting tyres on that are just going to dull the performance just to save a couple of hundred quid?"

"I refuse to be drawn into pointless arguments with stupid people, it's a waste of everyone's time." - this was actually an amicable thread where some good points were made, points you chose to completely ignore and steamroller over.

Toyo T1-R's are apparently "rubbish crap" and "budget" as are FK452's.

I look forward to you completely ignoring my comments and saying what you are going to anyway. :) OP - sorry for taking your subject off course, I personally wouldnt recommend using partworns if you can avoid it. :)

If you'd care to provide a hint of evidence or scientific theory towards your assumptions then I'd be happy to have a sensible debate with you. Until that point, I see precious little point in arguing the toss with someone who sits there with blinkers on assuming that, because they've been fine running mis-matched tyres, then it must be fine. It's a shame you've had to rape the OP's thread to try and point-score against me.

Why do you need to know the history of the tyres anyway? If they've got tread and no repairs or dodgy marks, then what's the worst that could be wrong with them? Honestly, it's as if you're trying to make yourself sound like an idiot.

And I'm still waiting for you to find me saying previously that partworns are bad. OH LOOK YOU CAN'T

Again your an idiot if you don't agree with ekona.

IMO buying partworns doesn't work out for a few reasons. Firstly they dont usually have much tread usually about 4mm which is only really 2mm before they pretty bald. Secondly for the price your not usually get much as there isn't much tread considering price. Thridly they can sometimes have uneven wear or sidewall damage. My freind buys part worns and they don't work out cheaper. Your also getting the tyre on it's way out usually rather than getting it when it's new and grippy.

No, you're an idiot if you ignore a healthy dose of scientific fact and just go with your gut. It's like believing in the tooth fairy despite the collection of old teeth gathering dust below your pillow. If anyone wants to challenge my views with some evidence of their own then fine, that's their right and I'll listen, but what I won't sit here and do is be attacked because I dared to actually post something that has some basis in theory, not just in the mind.

It's the same reasoning behind why we don't really think the world was created in 6 days.

IMO buying partworns doesn't work out for a few reasons. Firstly they dont usually have much tread usually about 4mm which is only really 2mm before they pretty bald. Secondly for the price your not usually get much as there isn't much tread considering price. Thridly they can sometimes have uneven wear or sidewall damage. My freind buys part worns and they don't work out cheaper. Your also getting the tyre on it's way out usually rather than getting it when it's new and grippy.

Thats one reason why you should thoroughly check the part worn tyre before buying it.

I never used to touch part worns with a barge pole, then one day my missus needed a new tyre for her car and she got a part worn one which looked nearly new for 1/4 price of the new one. So next time I needed a couple of new tyres for my old car I went back to the same place and got a pair of "part worn" goodyear tyres fitted for £30 all in! Thats £15 a tyre for a tyre which new was about £80 i think. I say the tyre was "part worn" as it looked brand new and even had the little bobbles on it. I suspect it was probably off a spare wheel from a scrap yard or something.

For a performance car like the zed I plan to stick with new tyres however rather than part worns.

I run part works on track. I got 4 re040's with 6mm of tread for 100quid :shrug: who's the mug? They have had no puncture repairs (which is the biggy) and have no tears in sidewalls. So why should I not use them.

Docrwa I don't think your in any position to throw accusations and make assumptions. You spat out the dummy and threw all the toys out the pram a few weeks ago when your car didn't get everyone vote on looks.

I emailed Dan last week for advice as I was gonna run front tyres 10mm smaller than my current fronts, and a different type, as my front never appeared. He replied saying I should have very little issue except a little understeer which will be barely noticeable. Guess what? He was spot on. He doesn't just jump at the fact that all tyres weren't matching but also looked at the science and physics behind it and advised me as I requested. Cheers again for the advise Dan :thumbs:

Don't call me an idiot it's out of order. Right opinions are different get over it. Now your saying Christians Jews and Muslims are wrong?

No, you're an idiot if you ignore a healthy dose of scientific fact and just go with your gut. It's like believing in the tooth fairy despite the collection of old teeth gathering dust below your pillow. If anyone wants to challenge my views with some evidence of their own then fine, that's their right and I'll listen, but what I won't sit here and do is be attacked because I dared to actually post something that has some basis in theory, not just in the mind.

It's the same reasoning behind why we don't really think the world was created in 6 days.

I run part works on track. I got 4 re040's with 6mm of tread for 100quid :shrug: who's the mug? They have had no puncture repairs (which is the biggy) and have no tears in sidewalls. So why should I not use them.:

Awesome price! I may have to check my local part worn place after all and see if they have anything in before I fork out for some new ones!!!

Don't call me an idiot it's out of order. Right opinions are different get over it. Now your saying Christians Jews and Muslims are wrong?

Are you serious mate? He never called you an idiot. He said you're an idiot if you don't believe scientific fact. He clearly meant other people in general. So easy to stir stuff when you take it out of context. Too easy.

I run part works on track. I got 4 re040's with 6mm of tread for 100quid :shrug: who's the mug? They have had no puncture repairs (which is the biggy) and have no tears in sidewalls. So why should I not use them.:

Awesome price! I may have to check my local part worn place after all and see if they have anything in before I fork out for some new ones!!!

That was from a member on here. My Missus dad has a tyre business so I get stuff from them too much much cheaper. :thumbs: even a tyre with 3-4mm has at least 5k miles left on it

OK, you want science and FACT: Old tyres or tyres that have not been stored properly will not perform as well as new tyres.

If you can tell by looking at a part worn tyre how old it is and whether the tyre has been kept out of sunlight in a fairly controlled temperature then go for it. If you can tell that the sidewalls are as strong and as thick as they should be just by looking then again, you are going to save money.

If you want to buy something that has been quality checked as fit for purpose and effectively carries a public liability insurance with it then buy new.

You clearly didnt read what I posted, I didnt mention anything about mismatched tyres. I didnt say that you had said partworns were bad, thats my view. Ive always said matched tyres are best, I just disagree with the hysteria that seems to be directed at anyone who doesnt choose to run them, as it doesnt fit with my experience or that of any other car club Im part of.

Instead you are off on another rant, not taking into account anything anyone else has said, blowing your own trumpet and drowning out everyone else.

Docrwa I don't think your in any position to throw accusations and make assumptions. You spat out the dummy and threw all the toys out the pram a few weeks ago when your car didn't get everyone vote on looks.

No, I got pi**ed off when a guy was unneccesarily rude to me, Ive got no problem with people saying they dont like my car as you can see from various posts on here. Quite different.

OK, you want science and FACT: Old tyres or tyres that have not been stored properly will not perform as well as new tyres.

If you can tell by looking at a part worn tyre how old it is and whether the tyre has been kept out of sunlight in a fairly controlled temperature then go for it. If you can tell that the sidewalls are as strong and as thick as they should be just by looking then again, you are going to save money.

If you want to buy something that has been quality checked as fit for purpose and effectively carries a public liability insurance with it then buy new.

You clearly didnt read what I posted, I didnt mention anything about mismatched tyres. I didnt say that you had said partworns were bad, thats my view. Ive always said matched tyres are best, I just disagree with the hysteria that seems to be directed at anyone who doesnt choose to run them, as it doesnt fit with my experience or that of any other car club Im part of.

Instead you are off on another rant, not taking into account anything anyone else has said, blowing your own trumpet and drowning out everyone else.

No, I got pi**ed off when a guy was unneccesarily rude to me, Ive got no problem with people saying they dont like my car as you can see from various posts on here. Quite different.

You just brought dan into a thread that he had nothing to do with? You used his name to try and stir up an argument because we weren't flaming someone :shrug:

Seriously mods any chance of sorting this thread out and giving the op his thread back. This really puts a dampner on this forum. Thanks :thumbs:

I

Im sorry, I cant see how the forum line (which seems to be laid down by Ekona) is that mismatched tyres are likely to cause an accident but partworns of unknown history are OK, it makes no sense to me. Maybe Im wrong to single Ekona out, I could have just quoted a thread but he is by far the most vocal and bullish on this matched tyres thing.

Its not me stirring things up either - your comments on the last thread were spot on IMO, its what Ive been trying to say:

"I agree that it is overhyped but if your not really a driving enthusiast (like, for talking sake my missus,and running mixed tyres) when one end let's go first people find it very hard to control as alot of the time it happens unexpectantly."

and everyone (including me) agreed but then everything kicked off again. Why was that?

My opinion (formed from experience, not comic books and drunken dreams) is as valid as anyone elses - Id far sooner be running mismatched rubber than partworns, the OP can take that or ignore it. Ive not said anyone is trying to make themselves sound like an idiot though, Ive just said what I think and I dont think thats unreasonable.