Driving to Germany/across Europe - Advice

Ricey

Don't forget to get your Foreign Driving Licence's from the Post Office :thumbs:

Whats that mate? I've not seen that mentioned anywhere...... It just advises to take photocard and counterpart? :shrug: You got a linky to owt on the net about it?

good luck guys, very jealous! :happy:

just dont loose your passport like I did last week :blush:

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiite! Passports - someone PM me on Monday to make sure I don't forget!

Counterpart for my drivers licence needs rooting out too

Just to clarify, I didn't write the above! Sheite it not a preferred word I would use. P wrote it using my account by accident.

I am really looking forward to this trip :drive1

:lol::lol: i'd guessed :p

My in-laws gave me a box of spare bulbs they bought for their Note (bare with me) they gave them to me when they sold it.

Brand new, in a box which is sealed with all the official Nissan stickers.

Now I KNOW they won't fit/would be a bastard to fit at the side of the road... But I thought I would keep the box anyway and take it with me if I ever drove in Europe. Just in case the Jeandamme got arsey about it, as THEY wont know they wouldn't fit! :p

Thought it might cover me.

ANYWAY.... Do you want to take it with you? :D

later dude, you hooking the ps3 up to the lighter jack?

beware of speeding... have fun and take lots and lots of photos :D go road trip!

had some weird @*!# happen in france, they indicate... they look, see you coming and they just change lane! driving on the 'wrong' side of the road is easy when there is traffic... take note to concentrate a bit when there is no traffic to follow. *bring a spare gps if you got one.

How am I supposed to know where Coventry is......I only venture out of the 'shire once every 10 years!

We'll see you on the way back you moaning mutt! :p

:yahoo::yahoo: I'll put the kettle on! Hoping of cours ei have unpacked the kettle by then :blush::lol:

:ninja: visit to Hockenheimring and the Auto Museum today with our very own Thomas Sorensen........and his trouser browningly fast Zed :drive1

Keeping up with someone with 100 bhp more on a de-restricted autobahn is not the easiest job in the world.........especially when faced with a traffic jam just as you hit 120mph!

Forgot to bring the lead for the camera with me but I'll stick some piccies up when we get back.

Big thanks to Thomas for meeting up and leading us round - we both had a really great day :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great thread :thumbs:

1 question - When you get on the Autobahn how do you know you're on an unrestricted speed limit bit? Is the default unrestricted and you wait to see signs saying (say) '100' to know you are now on a restricted bit? If so, how do you know when that restriction has finished??

Sorry for the questions but I'm driving to Nuremburg myself in 6 weeks for the first time.

Great thread :thumbs:

1 question - When you get on the Autobahn how do you know you're on an unrestricted speed limit bit? Is the default unrestricted and you wait to see signs saying (say) '100' to know you are now on a restricted bit? If so, how do you know when that restriction has finished??

Sorry for the questions but I'm driving to Nuremburg myself in 6 weeks for the first time.

A little sign appears which looks a bit like our 'National Speedlimit' sign (The black circle with a black stripe across it)........then you need to watch out for the 90 year old German granny in her 3 liter BM putting the pedal to the metal creating a vapor trail in your rear view mirror as you pull out - regardless of age they're all a bit serious out there when it comes to speed!

A group of us went to Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam (and a few other places) a few years ago. We were quiet young then and had no clue what the laws were with regards to driving in Europe. We took my friend's Toyota Corolla as it was very economical and he did all the driving.

We literally drove through those countries without following any applicable laws, including driving without European car insurance. We didn't even know we needed a special insurance for traveling through Europe! (I know this is VERY bad :blush:). The first aid kit, headlights and 'GB' sticker etc laws were not followed also for the same reason.

My friend pulled a U-turn next to one of the exits of the 'Arc De Triomphe' in Paris. A police officer spotted us and pulled us over. He seemed very angry and was on the verge of giving us a fine. My friend explained how he was unaware that maneuver was illegal in that specific area and asked him how he would feel if he was stopped in England for the same reason (I didn't agree with him saying that as I thought it would anger the officer more) but he decided to let us go!

Till this day I don't understand how we got away with it, we didn't have European insurance or anything! :scare: