Headers\Manifolds - Thoughts...

Glenn1981

Afternoon all!

Been thinking about headers and I know usually these are a waste of time and not worth the cost, however......

If I could have a set of used ceramic DCSports headers, fitted all in for around £300, would this be worth doing?

I guess you only gain about 5bhp, so just wondering if at that price it is worth doing, What do you guys think?

If you can get it installed for that price then go for it :thumbs: I gained about 12hp with my DC headers but it cost me a lot more than £300 to get hem installed

12hp you say hmmm, now that is more appealing, but was then when you were S\C? Might not be the same N\A

Well talking £100 for the headers, seem to be in great condition and my mechanic said he has done them before and 2hours per side, so £54 per hour, Im guessing it will be £300-350 range all in.

Nope that was N/A. Had it dynoed with stock headers/exhaust/popcharger & plenum spacer and made 285 then had it dynoed there again after fitting headers & removing plenum spacer & pop charger and it run a 297 :)

2 hours per side? I'd be very doubtful about that tbh

wow those are good results Ian!

I was thinking after reading all of peoples post history on the subject of headers that 2 hours per side was pretty quick, but I know it can be done in 4-5 hours if you have the tools and lift etc and 2 of you on it and he is a pretty good mechanice, but I will maybe warn him to aim for 6 hours haha!

So realistically we are looking at more over the £400 mark all in then, still sounds worth it to me for 12hp!

Thanks Guru's!! ;)

haha i want a video of the 2 hours per side, very interested ;) Personally I would be getting a written quote he cant go back on then get it done, your talking 10 hours in total not 4

seriously though, he simply can't do it that quickly so he doen't know what he's talking about :thumbs: it will backfire on you when your car is in bits and he is asking for another 16 hours labour

wow those are good results Ian!

I was thinking after reading all of peoples post history on the subject of headers that 2 hours per side was pretty quick, but I know it can be done in 4-5 hours if you have the tools and lift etc and 2 of you on it and he is a pretty good mechanice, but I will maybe warn him to aim for 6 hours haha!

So realistically we are looking at more over the £400 mark all in then, still sounds worth it to me for 12hp!

Thanks Guru's!! ;)

Not sure on price (depends if there are any in the UK for sale), or the model of car (needs to be 06 onwards, but I'd recommend the MREV2 lower plenum with spacer. More BHP per £ on that one I'd say.

If the engine was coming out I'd add a few more parts whilst it's out?!

Hmmm well he said he had changed oem ones before and it was around those times.

Who knows, at 9 hours labour it is not worth doing I guess.

on what car though?

for a slow mechanic your looking at 12 hours work, if you have sonmeone whos had the engines out of several zeds and knows there way round well, maybe 6-8 hours labour.

if he can do it in 4 hours i want him on my pit crew

on what car though?

for a slow mechanic your looking at 12 hours work, if you have sonmeone whos had the engines out of several zeds and knows there way round well, maybe 6-8 hours labour.

He said he has done the OEM ones on a Zed before.

I know Mark (3FIDDYZ) did his in 5 hours, so I guess it can be done, but hey I will have another chat with him tomorrow.

on what car though?

He said he has done the OEM ones on a Zed before.

I know Mark (3FIDDYZ) did his in 5 hours, so I guess it can be done, but hey I will have another chat with him tomorrow.

Mark could not do it in 25 hours. :lol:

Get real here. :thumbs:

It is an 8 hour job.

End of. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Guys lets give this mechanic a chance to prove himself ;) I don't see any reason why the manifolds cannot be change quicker! Its all about the right tools enough hands and experince from having done it before or loads of times.

The first time i took off the whole intake plenum down to the intake manifold it took me aleast 2 hours to remove and fit the MREV2 and plenum spacer and bolt everything in place )snapped to bolts in the process from over torqueing :teeth: )but now i can crack the whole thing in 30mins :p

Guys lets give this mechanic a chance to prove himself ;) I don't see any reason why the manifolds cannot be change quicker! Its all about the right tools enough hands and experince from having done it before or loads of times.

The first time i took off the whole intake plenum down to the intake manifold it took me aleast 2 hours to remove and fit the MREV2 and plenum spacer and bolt everything in place )snapped to bolts in the process from over torqueing :teeth: )but now i can crack the whole thing in 30mins :p

Headers are just a bit more complicated than the plenum ;)

Headers are just a bit more complicated than the plenum ;)

S'all just nuts and bolts sirley :lol:

Aye, once you get past the heat shields and steering rack ;)

In theory it should be simples because its just a few nuts & bolts :lol:

Bennett,

It took you two days just to get the bushes out of your compression arms. :surrender::lol::lol::lol:

Alex.

yes guys i know what you are saying but for eg i have read posts of guys stateside DIYing this in 4 hours so why not!

I have had a close look from ontop and underneath and figured out where the ball aches will be.

As i said right tools, manpower and manpower will slash down the time to fit! lets see what this guy can do and he will be having alot of business i am sure because i could never justify fitting being more expensive than the headers themselves :surrender:

Alex :bangin::bangin::bangin: don't go there....low blow mate. off course best laid plans can be scuppered by a stubborn bolt or nut :lol:

so if you know what all the ball aches are going to be... what are you going to do about that odd shaped hole meaning the DC headers won't quite line up properly out of the box...? I know about this and I haven't even taken headers off before.

After you screw enough things up you tend to listen to the people who know what they are talking about, ask around people who have done it before and listen to their answers. OR, choose to learn by yourself by all means, it's your money.

considering he hasn't been on either forum since 22nd sept 2010 and no one including his friends from the other club have heard from him then I'm not sure I believe you :shrug: get him to post up about the subject since he's such an expert on all things zed... oh wait :doh: silly me, he can't.

UNLESS YOU ARE 3FIDDYZ :scare:

:lol:

i did the manifolds on my old mr2 roadster several times and did mates as well. now they are easy to get onto; first time round took 2 hours, by the 4th time i got it down to 40 minutes. but bolts are a big slow down, the first time round i had 1 rusted bolt that needed to be split and cut off. as it just mullered itself onto the original manifold.

i toyed with the idea on the zed, i looked and i realised how much stuff you have to get past to get on to the bolts with any ease. i then shut the bonnet and put the thought to the back of my head. :lol:

well I beleive you guys, the reason I asked here in the first place was to get your opinion and with the guys that have done it or had it done, then if you say 8 hours plus then I beleive you! I did think it was underestimated when he said it to me. The bolts I didnt even think about, but you are right on an 04 car they will be tough as anything to get off and if it is a pain to get at them also then will take a while.

In terms of Mark, that was a really old thread I was reading when doing research and he mentioned he had done it with help.

Will speak to the guy again in the morning and just clarify, half tempted just to get it done now to see how long it takes him! :lol: