Laptop help

BladesGrant

I am having major problems with my laptop. Its only started today and I don't seem to be able to open any programs as anything I try to open I get a warning saying its infected. I have tried to download to anti virus software but once its downloaded It won't install as a warning comes up saying its infected. Everything cant surely be infected and especially something freshly downloaded.

Anybody got any ideas what I can do, really hoping its not a wipe and reinstall job!!! :rant:

Have you got an external hard drive?

If so, boot it up in safe mode (either keep pressing F8 during boot up, or keep switching it off mid-startup until it prompts you for safe mode), and then put EVERYTHING on your external drive, and then re-install windows.

Should take you 2 hours tops. :thumbs:

I had the same thing on my pc, it was a spyware programme. I managed to start up in safe mode and did a system restore for the previous day. Turned out it came from an item i looked at on ebay. Got the old pooper going though, panic stations thinking that someone could be in my computer looking for my passwords etc and everything i was doing . I downloaded a programme called malwarebytes anti-malware, found 126 infections and within 25 mins back to normal!

I had this Problem as well. Install this program called spybot.

I would recommend downloading it off another computer and installing it on your laptop. If it does not work in normal mode, install it in safe mode and run the system. It is very good. :)

Good Luck :thumbs:

http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook

^ download that stick it on a usb key boot and play with the os, then reinstall it over your old one. never a virus again (hopefully)

stop surfing those sites now :p

But those sites are all the fun ones!! :teeth:

lol, then i suggest you run it the browser from a normal user rights shell or run windows/unix/linux from a vmware shell...

No no no! Dnt use system restore or reformat...

It's probably a spyware program that makes it look like you have a virus and prompts you t buy their own software to remove it... It's all fake...

Download Malwarebytes Antimalware... Start in safe mode and install, then scan once in safe mode and once in normal windows mode...

This should remove the problem, I do PC repairs in my shop and this is THE most common virus problem I deal with...

Ryan

Could try safe mode > system restore

Restore it to a date before the problems started. Its worked for me a couple of times.

Just as a warning to anyone who uses system restore to 'fix' a virus, generally the virus will exist in the restore points, so you should purge your restore points, and run malware bytes in safe mode, sometimes the virus will also change your host file, so replacing it with a new one will be needed as well.

Also if you do not have an anti virus program download microsoft security essentials, best free anti virus out there.