Nice week to be at work

AK350Z

Is it just me, or do others think these wind turbines are a blot on the landscape?

Personally I'm glad we are using resources of our planet, in Europe they are everywhere, kinda like a signal to show they are being productive. I agree they can be an eyesore in the countryside, although in Europe there's a lot more land.

I believe the majority of the wind farms should be placed in the sea, just off our coasts. Again it will create a visual problem, but if placed stategically they shouldn't prove too much of an eyesore?

Is it just me, or do others think these wind turbines are a blot on the landscape?

In my view yes, i do. These have started sprouting up like weeds all over the fens where I used to live. Theres one bit of road in particular which I drive along, and if i look around whilst im driving I can count over 60 wind turbines!!!! They are in every direction you look! And then they wonder why theres so many accidents on that bit of road - its probably all those people counting the wind turbines!

Im all for alternative energy and that stuff, but would prefer it if these were dumped out at sea or somewhere.

So happy to polarise opinion! :lol:

I think they are very elegant from a physics and engineering point of view, there are of course issues with NIMBYism and such, the problem being that it's impossible to extract energy from the planet without some kind of impact, and a visual impact is surely the least of those.

The land based ones do cost a fraction of the offshore installations though, around one sixth! They therefore pay for themselves in short order.

By far the biggest issue is the lack of energy storage in the grid, whoever solves that one will be very rich indeed, ironing out the peaks and troughs in supply and demand would save billions of pounds. All we have storage-wise at the minute is a couple of hydro electric power plants that pump water back up to the reservoir during the night.

Personally I'm glad we are using resources of our planet, in Europe they are everywhere, kinda like a signal to show they are being productive.

Enercon turbines are real black sheep of the wind family, not only do they use permanent magnet generators (using lots of "rare-earth" neodymium) but some models actually have a small drive motor to slowly turn the blades when there's no wind, to make them look like they're doing something! Especially effective when compared to the nearby competitors farm, which would be stood still. :dry:

Enercon turbines are real black sheep of the wind family, not only do they use permanent magnet generators (using lots of "rare-earth" neodymium) but some models actually have a small drive motor to slowly turn the blades when there's no wind, to make them look like they're doing something! Especially effective when compared to the nearby competitors farm, which would be stood still. :dry:

Althought they picked a great ironic name - enerCON :lol:

I was in Chester Le Street today, absolutely gorgeous weather! :thumbs:

Having a spell over at Crook in county Durham. Sooooo glad I don't have a office job! :teeth:

10 days off starting Thursday too, hope the weather hangs around.

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg