£24.000 insurance quote!

Adrian@TORQEN

Why is a teenager even considering trying to insure a 1.6 litre car? When I was 17 there was no way on earth I could afford to insure a car that size. Even a 1.3 was way out of my price range. In the end I had to get a 20 year old 850cc Mini and even that cost me nearly 500quid to insure 3rd party only.

Maybe he should be looking at an old Fiat Panda or something.

Okay, so £24k for insurance is a bit steep, but did this guy really be so stupid as to go out and buy a car without checking if he could insure it first?!?!!!

make smart cars the only form of under 21 transport, can only carry one passenger so no showing of with a car full of youngsters,

fit limiters and trackers. job done. but offer the cheaper residuals.

one of my sixth formers has an insurance policy which fits a tracker to the car, so it knows if he speeds through areas or breaks the limits, it also limits him to 6000 a year mileage, and clcks that too. if he breaks the speed limit i think it even contacts his parents.

The best quote we could get for my 18 year old son on a 1.0 picanto was £3,500.

My son thought this was ridiculous.

I told him look at the facts. When he inevitably crashes it into another car with his three mates in it you have three whiplashes in his car @ £2,500 each, the two in the car he hits, another £5,000, Two damaged or written off cars , £5,000 to £15,000.

However this is dwarfed by the hire car and claims are us solicitors fees ( @£240 per hour!!!) adding another £10,000 to £15,000.

Total claim probably in excess of £35,000. This is fact as I have a friend who is just such a solicitor.

I told my son I wouldn't insure him for £50,000 let alone £3,500!!!!

" thats still ridiculous, I'm not going to crash" I love him dearly, but.............

Why is a teenager even considering trying to insure a 1.6 litre car? When I was 17 there was no way on earth I could afford to insure a car that size. Even a 1.3 was way out of my price range. In the end I had to get a 20 year old 850cc Mini and even that cost me nearly 500quid to insure 3rd party only.

Maybe he should be looking at an old Fiat Panda or something.

Okay, so £24k for insurance is a bit steep, but did this guy really be so stupid as to go out and buy a car without checking if he could insure it first?!?!!!

My first car when I was 17 was a saxo vtr 1.6l which was ripping out about 165bhp and I was only 670quid to insure :lol: it was fully declared for all engine mods

i didn't get my own car till i was 20, but i lived in teh highest insurance bracket in the country at that time; good old CV1

anyways my first car was a 1.4 rover 214 91 reg and that was 900 smackers third party fire and theft. i have never and never will pay over that for insurance. those who agree to be shafted and pay over 1.5 k for their insurance are crazy in my mind, but fair play if they have the money to burn.

i didn't get my own car till i was 20, but i lived in teh highest insurance bracket in the country at that time; good old CV1

anyways my first car was a 1.4 rover 214 91 reg and that was 900 smackers third party fire and theft. i have never and never will pay over that for insurance. those who agree to be shafted and pay over 1.5 k for their insurance are crazy in my mind, but fair play if they have the money to burn.

My brothers first car was a Peugeot 206 Gti 1.9 and that cost him around 900quid to insure 3rd party. He was around 22 at the time tho, but had only just past his test.

My first car was a 1993 Renault Clio which cost me £1000 to insure 3rd party only. After about two years I got my Fiesta 1.6 which cost me only £750 a year, which I held on to for about three years before getting the Zed.

A colleague at work was telling me about her son being quoted £4000 for insurance on a 1.4 Corsa. Personally, I think we need to restrict all drivers under 21 to a 1.2 or smaller engine. I had larger engine than that when I was that age but I still think it is a good idea. A guy at work is 22 and has a 1.4 Clio which cost him £1600 to insure as has never owned a car since he passed his test. I'm barely older than him and my Z costs half that to insure...

It was amazing how much cheaper insuring my daughter on her first car was compared to her male counterparts. I guess with the new equality laws on insurance talked about recently, this will also end.

As for £3.5k for insurance on a Kia Picanto...................................... :scare:

Yeah I saw that one yesterday. That kid must have more money than sense. He paid £3000 for the corsa expecting to pay £4000 to insure it. The cheapest quote he had was £5700. So he`s looking at a total outlay of about £9000 to drive a crappy Corsa for 1 year. Is he made of money?!

My first car cost me £20! lol.

I remember when i was 17 I added myself onto my parents policy (mondeo!!!) halfay through the insurance year - named driver - not main driver

Direct line charged me £17.50 admin fee and an extra £50 odd for the last 6 months or so on the policy.

6 months insurance for £67.50!!! :teeth:

Judging by some of the ages on here, you would never guess there's a recession on!

First car, a Mk4 Fiesta 1.1l. Cost me £1k, cost me £1200 to insure it 3rd party.

2nd car, a Citroen Saxo 0.9l, cost me about £3k (yes I downgraded - but it was a newer car!) - fully comp was about £800.

3rd, a 1995 Mazda MX5 1.8 - £750 fully comp.

....then 2 years later I added a turbo - £750.

4th, the 350Z. Car cost £7500, insurance is £770 (should be £650 but had a "bump" in the MX5).

How the hell do kids afford such crazy insurance?

A 18yo kid up my road insists on owning a cruddy Rover 45. Some turbo diesel thing. He is paying almost £2k insurance! For a god damn grand dads car!!