Charity for Japan discussion thread.

Beavis

Use this thread for discussion about this viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47120 please. :)

I'm NOT unsympathetic, who could fail to be moved by the horror of what has happened, but isn't Japan the third largest economy in the world, and despite fiscal deficits (hey, look at the USA) is a very rich country?

Don't flame me but do they need our support? There are many other charitable causes overshadowed by this disaster, for example the Pakistan flooding still affecting millions but which has disappeared from our screens.

Yes I see the car connection but I'm just putting it out there for discussion.

I remember Clarkson's comment when they got to New Orleans several years after their disaster and he was amazed that it was still in the state that it was for the richest planet on earth ;)

I can see what Chris is saying though, and he's actually spot-on: They don't need or want money at all. At present most donation/aid ideas for Japan are actually for the Red Cross, who then turn your contributions into actual things that people need like food, shelter, lighting, heat etc and then distribute that independently of (but in coordination with) the Japanese authorities. Whether that is what is going to happen with the proceeds from the wristband sales here is still to be decided, however now it's been brought up I'm sure the Team will discuss it and make a decision. :thumbs:

I've heard various people talk about the fact that Japan is rich and doesn't need/want donations - this may be true. Personally I don't think we should think too deeply about the wealth or otherwise of the country - sometimes it's the offer of help that means a lot. The point is that the charitable organisations that do a great deal of 'first aid' so to speak - shelters, food etc... DO need donations in order to work.

The Red Cross, for example, can't simply say to the Japanese government "give us £xxxx" in order to do our work. Even if they could, bureaucracy causes delays in getting this cash moving.

Japan may have the means to rebuild after this situation is stabilized, but charities need the money ASAP in order to keep on working.

It is a fair point made about past disasters which have now disappeared from our screens - well that's the media for you - a lot of people out there are very concerned about the Nikkei and how it will affect the economy here (questionable priorities I would say). That said, I haven't seen the same level of donation appeal on the TV as there has been for disasters in poorer countries.

With that in mind, charities need ongoing donations in order to carry on giving support even when the rest of the world isn't watching.

If the forum wants to do something to help the Japanese, then it can't be a bad thing. People can make their own choice whether or not to support it. If a mate, rich or poor, had his house burnt down, I'd put him up for the night.

My name's on the list.

Have many friends there who will know of charities who are in REAL need. The Japanese People are very proud and rarely if ever ask for help. The trouble is, when they do it is often too late. If the team want me to ask I will; just PM me.

France, Austrailia have said that their nationals should leave the country. The UK have suggested as of this evening that our nationals should consider leaving..............not quite so pressing from our Foreign Office.

The main problem is getting out of the country. Narita is quite a way from Tokyo, say 65/70 miles. Haneda which is in Tokyo Bay, although dealing with more and more international flights, only really deals with Pan Asain and Australian Flights.

Well said. The Red Cross have the logistics in place to react to situations like this around the world, they help the people in the short term while the government sort out the longer term problems.

To me short term is what is essential. I cannot begin to imagine what the survivors in the area are having to endure and if they can be helped in any way the major charities have the resources and experience to do what is needed.

My sister works for the red cross down in London. I know they are run off their feet at the moment.

We could be seeing one of the worlds most powerful economic and technological powers fold. If it was us would we cope as well? I hope we would act with dignity they have on the face of disaster.

On the item for the collection. Could we have a little interior window graphic as opposed to a band? A black jap rising sun flag or something like that - im sure they could be done very cheaply on a small run to maximise funds. The bands are ok but something flying the flag proudly in defiance. Just an idea. :thumbs:

Either way im happy to donate. Well done chaps. :thumbs:

Agree with a lot that has been said. Japan is rich enouh to support itself even in the worst situations BUT like martin said we are talking about the short term and not the long term. Rest assured the japenese will be able to sort this in the long term but in the short term a lot of the necessary work and aid out there is being sorted by charaties such as the Red cross and they do not get paid by the Japanese government.

If you can help out in any way to whoever needs the help then do it, thats how I always look at.

With the help of a member of the forum we are hoping to get a group photo done at the Wales meet in May with those attending wearing the charity wrist band and this will be presented to the 370z Production Manager at the Tochigi Plant and likewise we are hoping to get a picture of him holding it B)

So if you have your name down for Wales i recommend you get your name down on the list if you have not already done so ;)

Details on how to pay for your limited edition forum silicone wristband will be posted shortly.

The white red one will be the limited edition version but we will also have a black one available.

davidwood-001-1.jpg

they have had another tsunami warning! it's terrible. hopefully it's nowhere near as bad as the last one.

on another note how will people get the red and white ones? first come first serve or the first however many on the list?

on another note how will people get the red and white ones? first come first serve or the first however many on the list?

Those on the list have first choice and at the moment there is enough of these. :)

Japan update. Spoke to friends there today. Tokyo whilst 'shaken a bit' is ok. Life goes on as normal in Tokyo but things are much more serious north of Sendai. Hopeing to get out there soon to help with the relief effort........................anyone else interested in coming along?