Advice on Brake Fluid

-Chris-

All,

I have done a search but i have not managed to find what i am looking for.

I have bought some braided brake lines and am having them fitted soon. The brake fluid will also be replaced at the same time and i am looking to upgrade.

I have been advised that just over 2 ltrs will be needed. I have been looking on Opie and they only seem to sell Millers 300 plus and MOTUL RBF (the two i have seen recommended on the forum) in 500ml bottles.

Few questions;

1, Is 2 ltrs correct?

2, Am i over specifying the brake fluid for road use and maybe a few track days?

3, Is it correct you can only buy 500ml bottles?

Thanks,

Chris.

As Alex says, 1 litre is plenty if you know what you are doing. If you dont then an extra 500ml wont go a miss if you need to rebleed again (maybe if you get air in the line).

Alex will sort you out what you need :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

I used 1.2 litres when I did mine but I did pump way too much through the first line was just too hard to tell when the new stuff was coming through.

It had only recently been replaced.

I think the brake fluid companies should colour their fluids would make it easier lol.

I use RBF 600 and its quality stuff :thumbs: . Did 4 track days last year and didn't boil the fluid once. A mate running some standard dot 5.1 in his clio sport boiled it towards the end of the first session.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the ATE blue too - its really surprising how few pumps you need to bleed the fluid through.

The Motul 600 or 660 will be ideal. We use the Silkolene Pro Race and thats really good, but a little more expensive. Probably go for Motul next time.