Are petrol prices really that bad?

gangzoom

I notice alot of people seem to be concerned about running costs of the Z due to petrol prices, and people are talking about getting 2nd cars, so I decided to work out some costs...

Z = 26mpg, daily miles 46, petrol 1.33 = £10.66 per day or £2550 per year (5 day week, 30day leave)

2.2 diesel = 44mpg, same miles and diesel price = £6.18 per day or £1550 per year

So driving the Z costs me about £1k a year extra in petrol, which when u consider all the hassell of running a extra car, extra insurance, tax and servicing costs, would i actually save any money?? More importantly the smile driving the Z gives me is 'pricelss' B)

On the otherhand if petrol prices hits £2.00 per liter (probably in a couple of years), my petrol costs would hit £4k per year, and even with a 45mpg car that works out as £2100 per year, hopefully by than the electric cars will be able to do more than 100miles per charge :wacko:

26 mpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Personally I would like to see enormous rises on taxes for tobacco and alcohol, both are luxuries after all...

I don't smoke or drink before you ask :lol:

What's funny about 26mpg?

I drove to Brighton with the missus Friday afternoon, thought I would see if the upRev had improved anything so reset the trip computer... SE London to Brighton including Friday afternoon traffic in Brighton averaged 32.6 mpg according to the gauge.

Didn't hang around either as we left at 1pm, went to the Marina for a drink, then parked on the front and walked up to the markets and shops on North Street before they closed.

Personally I would like to see enormous rises on taxes for tobacco and alcohol, both are luxuries after all...

I don't smoke or drink before you ask :lol:

What's funny about 26mpg?

I drove to Brighton with the missus Friday afternoon, thought I would see if the upRev had improved anything so reset the trip computer... SE London to Brighton including Friday afternoon traffic in Brighton averaged 32.6 mpg according to the gauge.

Didn't hang around either as we left at 1pm, went to the Marina for a drink, then parked on the front and walked up to the markets and shops on North Street before they closed.

Currently on 19.7 mpg for the last few thousand miles. :drive1:drive1

Should bring that down to 16 ish when the sun comes out. :thumbs:

You either do a lot of short trips, boot it everywhere or your car is ill :shrug: When I did the CarLimits airfield day, a tank got me there, round for the day and home and I had 21MPG on the clock, so you must seriously hoon it everwhere!

My old 350z used to get on average about 30MPG and that was with a bit of A/B road and motorway driving each day. Obviously going out for a spirited drops that, but not by much, down to say 25MPG. The 370z currently gets about 28MPG but the engine isnt worn in yet and after UpRev I expect it will go up a couple more.

As Chris said you must drive with your arse on fire :drive1

Fair play if there are no speed cams etc near you but I need my License for work ;)

Don't know about anyone else but If I see someone skidding around or making the wheels spin on the roads I don't think wow... I think knob :p

Not calling anyone on here a knob :lol: Just my opinion and I am pretty sure 90% of the driving public ;)

Maybe I am just getting old :wheelchair: but everyday on my commute someone will be right up my chuff doing 80ish and then if I pull over they then fly past and have to slam their brakes on as the join the inevitable queue in front of me that I was keeping a decent distance behind :bangin:

Thing is, people dont just buy a second car because of petrol prices....

For a lot of us, our car is more of a hobby than a need....

By having a second car, your reducing the wear and tear on your beloved "Z", your not subjecting it to nasty potholes and speedhumps, car park dings, and the dirt and grime of the roads....

Its like having a fave jumper, you dont wear it every day in case you ruin it, you usually save it for more special occasions....

Hence we are all looking forward to the Summer!

I'm on about 18-20 mpg in town and 24-28mpg on the motorway.

I think it may have something to do with engine modifications, that some people are getting lower mpg than others?

I know the fuel and how/where you drive makes a huge difference... I had to do a trip from Wolves to Middlesbrough and back and I filled it to the brim with Waitrose Premium and managed to get 462 miles out of a tank!

You tend to get fewer miles with mods, this is because you want to hear or feel the "better" performance more often and probably drive a bit harder. First opportunity I get, I'm having the Uprev done at Abbey, this should calm my consumption down a bit, but that Akrapovic is just too damned addictive :thumbs:

I notice alot of people seem to be concerned about running costs of the Z due to petrol prices, and people are talking about getting 2nd cars, so I decided to work out some costs...

Z = 26mpg, daily miles 46, petrol 1.33 = £10.66 per day or £2550 per year (5 day week, 30day leave)

2.2 diesel = 44mpg, same miles and diesel price = £6.18 per day or £1550 per year

So driving the Z costs me about £1k a year extra in petrol, which when u consider all the hassell of running a extra car, extra insurance, tax and servicing costs, would i actually save any money?? More importantly the smile driving the Z gives me is 'pricelss' B)

On the otherhand if petrol prices hits £2.00 per liter (probably in a couple of years), my petrol costs would hit £4k per year, and even with a 45mpg car that works out as £2100 per year, hopefully by than the electric cars will be able to do more than 100miles per charge :wacko:

on my calculations assuming :-

10,000 miles per year

diesel @ £1.39/ltr and I presently average 42mpg

petrol @£1.29/ltr

a zed averaging 32mpg :teeth::p

would give

diesel £1502 / year

zed £1832 / year

obviously not allowing for insurance, wear and tear etc etc

Maybe I am just getting old :wheelchair: but everyday on my commute someone will be right up my chuff doing 80ish and then if I pull over they then fly past and have to slam their brakes on as the join the inevitable queue in front of me that I was keeping a decent distance behind :bangin:

You're not getting older Dave, I'm 24 and I do this, apart from I don't pull over I just drive slower and slower..I always get to work half an hour to an hour early for overtime reasons anyway! :lol:

You're not getting older Dave, I'm 24 and I do this, apart from I don't pull over I just drive slower and slower..I always get to work half an hour to an hour early for overtime reasons anyway! :lol:

Oh I quite often just slow down too :lol:

It is strange though as when I am on my way home nothing much keeps up ;)

Oh I quite often just slow down too :lol:

It is strange though as when I am on my way home nothing much keeps up ;)

:lol::lol: funny how that happens isn't it?!

Sounds about right for Captain :p

I was seeing around 12mpg on a motorway run with the s/c connected but I think that was mainly down to a a maf issue

Sounds about right for Captain :p

I was seeing around 12mpg on a motorway run with the s/c connected but I think that was mainly down to a a maf issue

Cheers bub. :thumbs:

1:32!!!