Sprinkles to pay more

mbs

Feckin hell - PC gone mad again. Who wins out of this one - insurance companies (more profit) and the government (more tax from higher premiums) :thumbdown: In a very competitive market, I bet they will find a way to fudge it so women still get cheaper premiums, they will just put some spin on it.

Its all based on averages and statistics. Though Ive tried, I cant find any large scale and official reports into accident statistics which include the sex of the driver involved.

i.e. number of male drivers on the road and number of male drivers involved in accidents each year. Number of women drivers on the road and number of female drivers involved in accidents each year. Perhaps the "at fault" for those would be better show a true picture.

I think if the above were available it would show that statisticaly females are far less likely to be involved in accidents, which could then be used to justify lower premiums for women drivers.

The only fair way to do it is publish official at fault accident statistics for all age groups, sexes and vehicle categories and insurers forced to use these in any premium calculations. Drivers would then be able to use these same statistics when considering the purchase of a vehicle too :)

It's a pile of b@lls and I always thought it was, no one should be charged more (or less) based on sex. There are idiot drivers from both sides so why be biast.

Actually they should. Insurance companies arent stupid, if women werent a lower risk then they wouldnt be charged less, its all down to their risk models. If they were paying out more for women, they'd be charged higher premiums. In any case, I reckon things wont change, they will just adjust their models to cope with not taking gender into consideration, but they will add some new parameters which will bring it out near as damn the same as it is now ;)

i heard if you look into the statistics i think you will find women have, on average, MORE crashes than men. However, these are normally low speed bumps :bounce: where as men tend to have bigger, more expensive crashes :drive1.

I'm not passing judgement either way but i believe there should be stats to say the cost to the insurance company against age, sex etc so they can see where there bigest liability comes from and price policy's accordingly

Insurance companies arent stupid

Nope, just greedy ;)

That's business, every company is out to make as much profit as it can, that's how the world works and always has been. Any business not only insurance companies will try to charge the highest price for their product, the only thing that keeps prices down is competition and there is plenty of that in the insurance world. Don't worry, some insurance company will find a way round it and all the others will have to follow to keep their business.,

Surely if the insurance companies are no longer able to adjust premiums for risk based on gender (and women therefore have to pay the same as men :thumbdown: ) then they also can't discriminate on the basis of age (isn't ageism illegal now as well?). That means 19 year old kids should only be charged what us oldies get charged?

In fact why not just make everyone's insurance the same - say £200 a year regardless of what you drive :thumbs:

I hate the Euro claptrap we have to put up with............ grey sausages, straight bananas, cushy overpaid Euro MP jobs

:bangin:

Well i suppose my insurance should be coming down then but if the statistics say otherwise.... what are they playing at!

Personally i think insurance should solely be absed onj how safe you as an indervidual are and your premium will be based on how many and what value your insurance claims are.

That way if males typically cause £4000 and females £2000 after they will end up paying a premium based on the value of their previous accidents and only initially will you have a the same premium across the sexes. Justa hightened form of the current situation.

Now the annuity rates... thats worrying and mental... :surrender:

I've been to a seminar today and they were discussing how this is going to affect Life Insurance. They were saying that they were going look at ways of identifying the sex of applicant through questions such as shoe size, collar size, waist size etc. utter bullshit imo.

Interestingly, they were saying that there may be a case for having all your premiums paid back to you as they were incorrectly underwritten according to this ruling................hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Having read through this story on various news outlets it would seem to me that the biggest difference will be to the under 25's, one comment I read was that it's a victory for boy racers. I don't think it'll have much effect on older drivers like myself and Caroline and we pay pretty much the same now anyway.

Some figures I saw on The BBC, The average claim for an 18yo male is £4400 and for an 18yo female, £2700 which would support the point that others have made.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...