Fun 4WD, decent MPG, am I asking too much?

pcw1982

Hello all,

Got a budget of about £15k looking for a 4wd (preferably not a 4x4 but if needs must) that has decent MPG (35+) but is still fun to drive, golden rule 0-60 less than 10 seonds :teeth:

Any suggestions?

Struggling to find anything other than Scubby's (amazing drive but shocking mpg) Mazda 6 MPS same problem, and thats about it in 'normal' car shape and 4x4 are generally too slow or have no MPG.

Audi A3 Quattro is looking best at the mo but the diesel isn't that quick and the 3.2 V6 doesn't do the MPG!

Cheers

You going drag racing?

Look at the in gear acceleration times for real world speeds. 0-60 is greatly affected by gear changes and isn't an indication of how it performs in my opinion.

Some of the diesels are scary quick in gear! Even my brute of a Navara will scare a hot hatch if already rolling now that it's had a fettle.

Shhh, you can't mention wrong wheel drive and 'fun' in the same sentence here :p

So are you looking for a diesel or petrol?

How about the 335d/535d? They're not WWD though. Surely there are some quick 4wd Audi sootchuckers? I guess the mental V10 TDi is out on price...

My last car was an 2007 Audi Sportback Sline 2.0TSI Quattro. I done around 60,000miles in it with no problems at all. The MPG averaged around 32-34 and with 200bhp it done 0-60 in around 7.1. I had it chipped by Revo so was a little quicker and had 260bhp. It was a brilliant all rounder, was sad to see it go. But got the Zed now to make up for it :)

Thanks for answers so far.

I live at the bottom of a very big hill and the snow (I know we're moving away form that for 8 months hopefully!) caused such problems getting to work etc that the missus now wants a 4WD, I can't stand Chelsea tractors so looking for a compromise.

Diesel seems like the best option to get the mpg up.

Will be selling Z for hopefully circa £12k and a Civic for around £8k 'profit' going towards much needed work on the house.

Civic has been day to day car and Z for fun/weekends so need the mpg to match the Civic if possible and I'll have to buy a new Z in a few years when I can afford to run two cars again, hopefully!

Just seen Alfa 159 2.4 JTDM Q4 Lusso (rolls off the toungue doesn't it) on autotrader (thanks rtbiscuit :thumbs: ) 0-60 8.3 combined mpg 39, 210 bhp sounds like the perfect fit £12,695 too so looking good.

Never had one but obviously know all the horror stories of Alfa reliability, anyone got any experience with one?

Just seen Alfa 159 2.4 JTDM Q4 Lusso (rolls off the toungue doesn't it) on autotrader (thanks rtbiscuit :thumbs: ) 0-60 8.3 combined mpg 39, 210 bhp sounds like the perfect fit £12,695 too so looking good.

Never had one but obviously know all the horror stories of Alfa reliability, anyone got any experience with one?

No problems with my Alfa so far* :thumbs:

*Apart from me crashing it. :lol: