When to change tyres...

spursmaddave

I am not a cheapskate in the least but I don't want to give money away for no reason...

When I bought my car it had brand new REO50As on the front and almost new REO50s on the rear, that was @ 72k.

Now 14 months later and on just over 90k just checked the fronts and they are pretty even @4-5mm and the rears are fairly even at 3-4mm.

I am hopefully buying some part worn tyres off another member (REO50s) with about 5-6mm on the fronts and 4-5mm on the rears my logic is to fit the rears in a month or 2 and maybe the fronts a month or 2 after that then go for a complete new set sometime after the summer, does this all make sense?

I have no problem with the current tyres apart from in the wet if I really try hard ;)

Thanks for any advice :thumbs:

I wouldn't bother buying the part worn fronts, just get the rears and change them when you get a chance. Then change all 4 later this year. BTW, I'd be interested to know how on earth you get 18k+ out of a set of tyres...I mean it's not like I throw mine around and yet the rears are pretty well finished after 9.6k :shrug:

Pete

I wouldn't bother buying the part worn fronts, just get the rears and change them when you get a chance. Then change all 4 later this year. BTW, I'd be interested to know how on earth you get 18k+ out of a set of tyres...I mean it's not like I throw mine around and yet the rears are pretty well finished after 9.6k :shrug:

Pete

Most of my miles are my commute to and from work, I don't drive like a grandad but then I don't drive like I just stole the car either. I have also been on quite a few spirited drives with some guys on here.

I drove around for most of the winter (Dec - Jan) in all weathers with no ABS and no TC due to a problem with a rear light switch so I guess that tells you something, good or bad depending on your viewpoint...

I must admit I am surprised how well the tyres have lasted, are yours REO50's too?

i would get a whole new set :blush:

Yeah I know I was thinking the same, and it isn't the money. Been looking at various different sets but would probably stick with REO50A's as they have been superb and lasted very well. Why change what ain't a problem? The Mod Father (glrnet) has just got a full set of 452's which he says are fantastic but then he was previously running REO40's :surrender:

I have been hassling ZManAlex for a set of part worn rear REO50's but they get snapped up quick.

Another option is just get a new set of rears I guess :shrug:

i would get a whole new set :blush:

Yeah I know I was thinking the same, and it isn't the money. Been looking at various different sets but would probably stick with REO50A's as they have been superb and lasted very well. Why change what ain't a problem? The Mod Father (glrnet) has just got a full set of 452's which he says are fantastic but then he was previously running REO40's :surrender:

I have been hassling ZManAlex for a set of part worn rear REO50's but they get snapped up quick.

Another option is just get a new set of rears I guess :shrug:

FK452s are ok, seem to have a little bit of feedback, moderate grip, but they're not pilot sports or vred's by any stretch of the imagination.

Pete

Most of my miles are my commute to and from work, I don't drive like a grandad but then I don't drive like I just stole the car either. I have also been on quite a few spirited drives with some guys on here.

I drove around for most of the winter (Dec - Jan) in all weathers with no ABS and no TC due to a problem with a rear light switch so I guess that tells you something, good or bad depending on your viewpoint...

I must admit I am surprised how well the tyres have lasted, are yours REO50's too?

Mine are RE 040's. My driving style is pretty conservative, don't spin the wheels, drive well within my limits around corners, etc. I guess the RE 040's are a bit softer, although there's still tons left on the fronts.

Pete

Mine are RE 040's. My driving style is pretty conservative, don't spin the wheels, drive well within my limits around corners, etc. I guess the RE 040's are a bit softer, although there's still tons left on the fronts.

Pete

Yes I don't know all the 'ins and outs' but the REO50 is apparently a HUGE improvement on the REO40, and by the sounds of it lasts a lot longer too :thumbs:

I was seriously looking at Falken 452's as they are a good price but I don't want to be dissapointed and wishing I had paid that little bit extra for the Bridgestones, especially if they don't last as long :rant:

Pete

Yes I don't know all the 'ins and outs' but the REO50 is apparently a HUGE improvement on the REO40, and by the sounds of it lasts a lot longer too :thumbs:

I was seriously looking at Falken 452's as they are a good price but I don't want to be dissapointed and wishing I had paid that little bit extra for the Bridgestones, especially if they don't last as long :rant:

Falkens are a pretty good mid range tyre for me, but I'll be going with either ps2's or re050's if I can get them next time as I just loved the feedback and grip from the ps2's, they inspire massive confidence both on track and off.

Having had RE050's as my last set, and have Falkens now, I would say that there is not much in it (according to the way I drive). My decision to put Falkens on was mainly due to cost.

The wear on the Falkens is good, I would have expected the rears to have worn down more by now. I did find they took a good 400-500 miles to settle in.

Next time round..... if funds are available then I will put RE050's back on, if not then I would still be happy with Falkens again

Thanks for the info chaps :thumbs:

I have falken and toyo tyres on my Leon so I am not a snob :p

I have been very impressed with the REO50's (A's on the front) grip is great in all conditions (even light snow) and have lasted way longer than I expected :thumbs:

I suppose if cost was an issue I would go for the Falkens, makes perfect sense :clap:

Ekona highly rates the re50's. Tbh Falkens aren't great IMO they will probably wear faster than your re50s.

I'm finding the falkens pretty good on wear, had them since sept, they don't seem to have lost much tread at all.

I personally found when it's hot abd your pushing it they seem to wear quicker.

I would go for a full set all round. there is nothing like the feeling you get from driving with brilliant new rubber all round.

i recently got some PS3s - they were quite a bit cheaper than the pilot supersports (the replacement for the PS2) but are more of an all weather tyre as opposed to the PSSs mainly summer focus.

they are fantastic in every way, i had RE040s on the front before and the PS3s are leagues ahead.

they also perfrom fantastically in the wet and feel and feedback is very confidence inspiring.

Falkens are ok, but are by no means a performance tyre. but unless you like to go teararsing around like your hairs on fire then it might be wirth saving the cash.

on the other hand if you do like going fast tyres will give you the best performance/cost so its worth getting decent ones.

sure you will make the choice that suits you best. :thumbs:

i often run tyres down to the legal limit....but by about 3 mm; come wet conditions any tyre is never as good as when it has more tread. but not a massive difference when its dry. if looking for maximum grip in all conditions i would change tyres at 3mm and not 1.6mm. 1.6mm is the legal limit and not a target to aim for after all.

as for tyres

the RE040's are brilliant tyres in the dry and hard to beat for a track tyre as they are nice and firm and they don't overheat and go greasy very easily; and they offer tons of dry grip. yes in the wet they can be hard to get heat into them but i still found them (on the last 3 cars they came with) very progressive when they let go.

i ran vredesteins on my Zed and they are very good; wet and dry grip are excellent; but i'f i'm honest i did find they lost a little communication on the limit; i'm sure i could have pushed harder on them but wasn't always sure where the limit was. and i'm starting to realise that this is more down to profile than the tyre itself.

i currently run the falkens on my S2000 and have been really impressed with them; i think this has a lot to do that they wheels i run mean i have them in a 35 and 30 profile which really stiffens up the side of the tyre. and the fact that the car is a good 200kg lighter than the Zed. i've run the 452's in wet weather, dry weather and 4"'s of snow and they'vee been great, and i mean really great. in the snow they would slide but they were so progressive and communicative the cart just went where you wanted it to even taking into account the oversteer on exit. only got stuck once in a car park in the 3 weeks of snow i was driving daily in them (they are of course no replacement when it comes to snow or winter tyres) in the wet they have been brilliant, tons of grip and feedback, not had any issues; and must admit i'm alot more confident in them compared to the vredesteins (think it would be different if i'd had bigger after market wheels and a lower profile with the vredesteins).

i'm due to track the S2000 soon and will be able to feedback on the 452's

at the end of the day i think you have to find the tyre, and profile/wheel size that best suits your driving, a tyre that suits one person might be horrible for someone else. this theory excludes things like nankangs which would just be horrific

regardless.

on a side note; i ran the eagle F1 GSD3's in the larger profile on my old S2000 wheels and they were brilliant. really suited the car and worked effortlessly. feedback, feel and communication all brilliant. down side is that they stopped making them ages ago and you'll be hard pushed to find them in zed sizes anymore.