Traction control Problem

liam42whu

Hey all,

The story is, I got a puncture so I fitted the spare wheel, since then I replace both rears as the non punctured one was worn quite bad, and now wen turning right the traction control comes on for no reason.

Is the wheel speed sencor easily damage When using the spare?

Can a damaged wheel speed sencor affect the traction control?

Any other ideas.

Thanks liam.

Yes it should. You've created an imbalance between the two ends of the car and the TCS has no idea what's going on, hence you're getting odd symptoms. In the meantime, just be more gentle on the throttle as that'll be a big reason why everything's getting confuzzled so quickly.

When i bought my Z it had different brands front and back and the TCS was grabbing at my wheels all the time. now with all 4 Decent same brand tyres the problem has gone. but the starting routine of my Z is clutch in, turn key, Turn off traction control, so i don't have this problem.

Hope u get it sorted mate :console:

mine has different tyres on the front and back and i have never had this problem, i know that doesnt really help you find ou what it is but just so you know im not experiencing the same problems with different tyres on the front and back.

Same here, I bought some alloys off another member and they are different brands front and back. This is going to be rectified next month but I have never had any TC issues with the different brands. Again probably not very helpful to your issue. :thumbs:

I have now run 3 different sets of wheels and 12 different sets of rear tyres on my car and not once have had the traction control problem you are talking about. I really, really dont think its mismatched tyres, but Im sure Ill be told different.

Think about it - there TC kicks in when there are differing wheels speeds from front to back. I know you guys REALLY hate mismatched tyres but are you seriously telling me that it would cause the rears to rotate faster/slower than the fronts??

And dont tell me its due to wheelspin, no tyre is that bad that you are incapable of pulling off without spinning it up. My guess is that the rolling radius ratio has been changed, same as if you were running 19's on the back and 18';s on the front (which Im aboput to try myself actually) - different tyres makes in the same sizes will have sidewall variations that could cause this. :)

So basically you're going to ignore all (well, the vast majority) of the advice here and go with your gut? Well, I'm really glad we all bothered taking time to give you the benefit of our experience.

You've got vastly different compounds on the rear to the front, and as such totally different grip levels, and you're wondering why the car is doing weird things? I genuinely hope it is just a wheel speed sensor, but even if it is you've still got a mis-balanced car once it's replaced.

So basically you're going to ignore all (well, the vast majority) of the advice here and go with your gut? Well, I'm really glad we all bothered taking time to give you the benefit of our experience.

You've got vastly different compounds on the rear to the front, and as such totally different grip levels, and you're wondering why the car is doing weird things? I genuinely hope it is just a wheel speed sensor, but even if it is you've still got a mis-balanced car once it's replaced.

yep i agree with that, the compounds on the cheapo's may be alot different from the premium brand. As with my car i had mixed tyres but were both premium brand and relatively soft compound

yep i agree with that, the compounds on the cheapo's may be alot different from the premium brand. As with my car i had mixed tyres but were both premium brand and relatively soft compound

+1 someone usually has £10 tyres on the back and and crappy ones on the front which happen to be mismatched and then people upgrade to a proper tyre and say its because they where matched, mainly cos they where crap.

Docwra let me know how that goes as I have wanted to do that. :thumbs:

+1 someone usually has £10 tyres on the back and and crappy ones on the front which happen to be mismatched and then people upgrade to a proper tyre and say its because they where matched, mainly cos they where crap.

Docwra let me know how that goes as I have wanted to do that. :thumbs:

Blimey, someone who can see what Im saying :yahoo:

I cant get over some of the hysterics that surround mismatched tyres on here, I mean again, how is two different compounds fore and aft going to affect wheel speed? Hes talking about turning, not under hard acceleration or when driving on ice .........

Id add he isnt ignoring the experience of others, it seems to me that there are a lot of people who have run mismatched tyres and not had this problem, 5 on this thread in fact, and only one who did have the issue with mismatched tyres. Id say he is going with the majority. :thumbs:

Oh, and as regards 18s front and 19's rear I dont for one second think my TC will work in that configuration, but its got to be tried :D