Modding a 350Z for Economy

chrisgunton

My 2 pences worth,

1, reset ECU this will remove adaptive fuelling , this will normally help the economy

2, remap the car , we can get the car running back as it should be , we find the lambda's deteriorate

over time ( wear out) we reset these within the ECU so they car hits the correct AFR reading

thats programmed into the ECU.

3, We can even remap for 95 octane fuel , which will lose a few bhp if the ca ris stock but it will

save you a few pennies per litre.

4, cruise control will help , I did a trip the other day on my UK 350Z up to Nottingham, car was

returning 32mpg running on the cruise around 85/90 mph which I thought was real good.

hope this helps any quesations ask away.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said the question never mentioned cost be if its to get a higher mpg surely cost would be a vital factor? If he could afford to do it why would he moan about petrol price? :doh::p

all depends on what fuel prices do, if petrol goes up more but for some reason diesel goes down as haulage companies manage to force a change so its not linked to petrol could make huge savings.

2nd if you have the skills then doing it would be no more expensive than an LPG conversion and if you do the right mileage it would pay for its self within 18 months. :shrug:

Fair enough although a freind of mine has an a5 and gets no where near mpg. Also when I drove a q7 with cruise on at 70 it got 13.7mpg!

I did a little experiment on the build up to getting my Zed in my old 1.6 Fiesta. I filed it up with petrol to the max and reset the trip computer. And I drove it like a typical city driver in a rush to go everywhere and got about 26mpg. That included pulling away like I was on a 1/4 track almost all the time, changing gears at high revs, down-shifting to pull away quicker etc. The only thing I didn't do was speed to excess (+5mph everywhere at most).

When the the tank was empty (fuel light) I refilled and reset again. This time driving in the complete opposite fashion. Coasting to the lights or to the back of a queue. Slowing down gradually to the lights hoping they would change before I stopped. Economical gear changing etc. It came out on 37mpg.

Whilst not a scientific test I was quite shocked by the difference. Now the Fiesta only had a 40 odd litre fuel tank but that's a fair amount. I usually drive somewhere in the middle of the two extremes as driving for me should be fun and not a chore, nor should it be a way for me to go to an early grave by being a tit of a driver :lol: (also I'd probably lose my job). In the Zed I'm at about about 25mpg which I can't really moan about.

My 2 pences worth,

4, cruise control will help , I did a trip the other day on my UK 350Z up to Nottingham, car was

returning 32mpg running on the cruise around 85/90 mph which I thought was real good.

hope this helps any quesations ask away.

I might touch on 32mpg if I set the cruise at 50mph, at 90mph it will probable be more like 23mpg. Is your car modified? Mine is standard.

Interesting thread :thumbs:

I have a question - I only drive 5 mile each way to work and get pretty bad mpg driving sensibly , around 20 :thumbdown: I'm pretty sure thus is due to the choke being on virtually all the way there , would it be worth me waiting 5 mins before starting in the mornings or does any think it would be worth doing a throttle reset, as I think it may be ticking over a bit high at times :wacko:

Interesting thread :thumbs:

I have a question - I only drive 5 mile each way to work and get pretty bad mpg driving sensibly , around 20 :thumbdown: I'm pretty sure thus is due to the choke being on virtually all the way there , would it be worth me waiting 5 mins before starting in the mornings or does any think it would be worth doing a throttle reset, as I think it may be ticking over a bit high at times :wacko:

take a longer drive to work, my drive is only 4 miles each way so have a similiar problem. you'll use a lot more fuel in those first few miles than once its all warmed up.

Thanks but Iv never been the best at getting up in the mornings especially at 6 am :thumbdown: and a 8wk old baby means I now get less sleep than ever before :yawn: . Do u think my mpg would improve if I left the car ticking over for 5 mins every morning before leaving ?

:thumbs:

still burning fuel before you have to drive it.

plus now you run the risk of getting it nicked as it will have the keys in it and the engine running. or you'll have to stand there while it ticks over.

i personally am not a fan of letting engines heat up at standstill. i'd rather drive gently and let it get up to temp naturally.

Thanks but Iv never been the best at getting up in the mornings especially at 6 am :thumbdown: and a 8wk old baby means I now get less sleep than ever before :yawn: . Do u think my mpg would improve if I left the car ticking over for 5 mins every morning before leaving ?

still burning fuel before you have to drive it.

plus now you run the risk of getting it nicked as it will have the keys in it and the engine running. or you'll have to stand there while it ticks over.

i personally am not a fan of letting engines heat up at standstill. i'd rather drive gently and let it get up to temp naturally.

Yeah pretty much what I thought really its as wide as long :wacko: did your z seem to tick over a bit high upon start up and seem to pull without accelerating :thumbs:

Thanks

Thanks for the reply but what I'm saying - eventually :yawn: is that I think the auto choke is possibly ticking over too high is the throttle reset procedure worth a try. Also sometimes on startup the revs seem to fluctuate

Sorry as a bit :offtopic:

2.5 sounds high? I would do the idle air learning that will sort the idle out, maybe give the throttle body a clean too.

Thanks for the reply but what I'm saying - eventually :yawn: is that I think the auto choke is possibly ticking over too high is the throttle reset procedure worth a try. Also sometimes on startup the revs seem to fluctuate

Sorry as a bit :offtopic:

2.5 sounds high? I would do the idle air learning that will sort the idle out, maybe give the throttle body a clean too.

+1 - should be around 1.5k cold and 80P0RPM when warm. Do an ECU/throttle/idle air reset (all available with a quick Google) and see if that sorts it.

You are screwed only doing 5miles each time though, the engine isnt nearly warm in that time, you're lucky to get over 20MPG.

Did a ECU restart the other day, car feels much smoother especially since i had it serviced earlier in the month! seems i may be getting a few more MPG's to, getting around 28-30 with barely any form of ragging it, shifting under 3k and being smooth with motorwar and some b roads and a little town driving. Wish i could get another 5 mpg out of it as i'm spending so much on fuel these days i'm thinking on chaning the car :byebye: