AdvancedME goes for 1kbhp with the Z

advancedme

Sorry to hear that Tony, 825 Hub HP is big power mate, alot of people used to run 1/2 head studs for extra head stealing pressure may be a thought?? Also what HG's come with the other brands 100mm stroker kits? Are they all cometic?

Dont get to down gys am sure youll find a way around this.

Mark/abbey what head studs does preoject zed uses? ARP L19's are not the top of the range ARP studs are they? May be better studs and a lottle mor torque?

Did any of the block liners move ?? That could be a fault that caused the HG to blow.

Mark/abbey what head studs does preoject zed uses? ARP L19's are not the top of the range ARP studs are they? May be better studs and a lottle mor torque?

All I can say bigger isnt always better and tighter isnt always better either.

Project Z uses all be-spoke stuff and we have never had a head gasket failure , we have had a liner move due to a block having to have a couple of liners pulled and replaced at rebuilds.

Mark

Cosworth headgaskets used to be made by Cometic's I thought.

I don't think they are now - I've got SR cometic and Cosworth gaskets and they're definitely different. The Cosworth one has a thicker section around the bore, presumably to give a better bore seal.

Not sure if these guys will do you a 100mm VQ gasket: http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/produ ... asket.html

We use their 90mm gasket on our SR - that's been making 600bhp with no gasket probs at all. I know Mazworx use the same gasket for their 1000bhp+ drag SR.

I've heard of (but never experienced myself) Cometic gasket failures.

Cosworth headgaskets used to be made by Cometic's I thought.

I don't think they are now - I've got SR cometic and Cosworth gaskets and they're definitely different. The Cosworth one has a thicker section around the bore, presumably to give a better bore seal.

Not sure if these guys will do you a 100mm VQ gasket: http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/produ ... asket.html

We use their 90mm gasket on our SR - that's been making 600bhp with no gasket probs at all. I know Mazworx use the same gasket for their 1000bhp+ drag SR.

I've heard of (but never experienced myself) Cometic gasket failures.

I think your right mate the cosworth has a folded stopper layer cometic i think dosen't have that ?.

• 2 weeks later...

We are pretty sure the heads lifted as there are a few "grey" areas where it looks like gas could have passed. The defined sealing ring has been smudged in a few places.

Also we found some of the studs easier to undo (Still very tight) than others so I feel the studs must have stretched the tinyiest of amounts.

One pic shows an area where you can see the gasket material has been deposited onto the liner and then the water has boiled and corroded right next to it.

We will be using a bigger step, Cosworth gaskets (Not made by cometic) and larger studs to pull it all down! Its a real shame as the engine had run perfectly. Bores, bearing and especially the tappets are in 100% perfect condition!

:blush: maybe some explanation would help me understand what went wrong

oh you got it in, sorry

So cometic gaskets aint the way to go for any big power builds then it seems, must be heartbreaking to have to rip an engine a part when it's been running like clockwork :(

So studs and gasket the only thing needs doing or did this cause any other damage?

The engine made to much power (Pressure in the Cylinder) for the head gasket and stud combination on this 100mm bore engine. The pressure in the cylinder pushed the heads up enough (Maybe a couple of thousands of an inch) so that the gas could escape into the cooling system.

Hope that helps

Dan

The engine made to much power (Pressure in the Cylinder) for the head gasket and stud combination on this 100mm bore engine. The pressure in the cylinder pushed the heads up enough (Maybe a couple of thousands of an inch) so that the gas could escape into the cooling system.

Hope that helps

Dan

:blush: thanks Dan, so in your mind the gasket was 'fine' but the studs wasn't up for the task? Or maybe a mix of both?

Hope that helps

Dan

:blush: thanks Dan, so in your mind the gasket was 'fine' but the studs wasn't up for the task? Or maybe a mix of both?

I'm going with a bit of both.... These are the things you find out pushing the boundries!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...