Any computer geeks out there?

sasha@lazytrips

I'm planning to build a computer and plan to place the order in a week or thereabouts. Are there any computer literate people who can advise as to whether all the different components are compatible and/or any improvements without any more money being spent?

The idea was to get the maximum I can right now with a view to upgrades over time. I plan to get a secondary 460 card to put into SLI with the first, gradually build up to 16GB RAM by adding sticks as and when (can then go all the way to 32GB if needed) and will add 2-3 more identical hard drives in a RAID 10 set up for some SSD-beating performance. I'll be getting Windows 7 & Office elsewhere. The PSU is moderately cheap and I can always replace it when more components make it into the system.

PCU: Intel Core i7 2600k

Mobo: Asus P6P67 PRO

PGU: Gigabyte ATI GTX 460 1GB

RAM: Corsair 1x4GB 1600MHz Vengeance DDR3 stick

PSU: Corsair 500W CX PSU

ODD: Sony 24x DVD-RW

HDD: Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Case: NZXT Phantom White Case

Wireless card: Tenda Wireless-N300 PCI Adapter (read rave reviews of this card)

Opinions?

Nice system, I would recommend a more powerful PSU though especially as you're going for twin 460 cards at some stage. I've got several 460 cards (I run internet research projects) and they really need a 600w unit, for 2x 460 cards I'd go for a good quality 800w unit. Bear in mind that each 460 card has a double 6 pin connector which require power from the PSU. Each of these will need 4 connectors to power them up, so you'll need a lot of cable splitters.

Yes, you can run these GPU's off a 500w , even a 450w at a push but the PSU won't last long :)

Pete

The PSU is a very important component mate so you really don't want to scrimp here. I'd get a Corsair 650w to be honest and don't be tempted by cheap brands as they arnt stable.

It's down to personal preference with graphics cards but I'd be inclined to go with an ATI card like the 6870. Blow for blow its better than the GTX460, quieter, cooler and most importantly, uses less juice.

If you're getting an i7 I'd spend another £70 getting a specific CPU cooler and overclocking it to an easy and stable 4ghz. That will do you better than the extra cores. If you're stuck for money my advice would be to trade down to a core i5 760 and spend the money on clocking it rather than having an out the box i7.

6gig of ram would be better than 4 for day to day but I doubt you're ever going to need more than that unless you're spinning large graphics work on the system.

There will invariably come a point in time (unfortunately about 2-3 years tops) where there is little point in upgrading components as the processing speed / capabilities of that new component will be bottlenecked by the other out of date components on your system. It's one of those chain being as strong as the weakest link thingys im afraid.

Hope that helps! :teeth::thumbs:

6gig of ram would be better than 4 for day to day but I doubt you're ever going to need more than that unless you're spinning large graphics work on the system.

Unlikely to get 6 though as this system is based on the new Sandybridge cpu that will have a dual channel board. So really it will have to be either a 4gb or 8gb set up. The older 1366 pin I7 cpu's which need an x58 chipset motherboard are triple channel and in that case you could fit 3 2gb memory sticks. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1859

Unlikely to get 6 though as this system is based on the new Sandybridge cpu that will have a dual channel board. So really it will have to be either a 4gb or 8gb set up. The older 1366 pin I7 cpu's which need an x58 chipset motherboard are triple channel and in that case you could fit 3 2gb memory sticks. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=1859

My mistake. Go for 8gb then! :)

The PSU is a very important component mate so you really don't want to scrimp here. I'd get a Corsair 650w to be honest and don't be tempted by cheap brands as they arnt stable.

+1 mine works perfectly. got a modular one where you only put as many wires in as you need so its nice and neat :)

just unearthed this from an old thread

ok so if we are having a geek off :lol:

intel core i7 overclocked to 3.3Ghz MWAahahahaha!!!

6Gb DDr3 (on vista 64bit mind ;) )

twin nvidia geforce GTX 260 (thats 2GB in total )

1Tb HD

Bu ray drive

sony 22X dvdrw drive

logitech G5 2000Dpi ;)

wooden table for mouse mat cos lets face it its just better :D

all designed to look really good while playing badly

oh and a 37" panasonic HD tv as monitor :lol: although i tend to drag the 22" out to avoid blindness usually.

honestly im not that geeky i just got bored one day and decided to build a comuter :blush:

honestly im not that geeky i just got bored one day and decided to build a comuter :blush:

Ah the commuter ...... age 25-40 ..... smart suit .......... brief case or laptop bag ............ mobile phone so he/she can text or Email during slack periods ...... pretends to be working but really chatting on facebook ............... never makes eye contact ..... world of their own ............ earphones and Ipod

Ah the commuter ...... age 25-40 ..... smart suit .......... brief case or laptop bag ............ mobile phone so he/she can text or Email during slack periods ...... pretends to be working but really chatting on facebook ............... never makes eye contact ..... world of their own ............ earphones and Ipod

Sounds more like a contractor than a comuter :lol:

www.scan.co.uk is also good, just don't look in their dream PC section (currently their flagship model, The JellyFish, sells for just over £7000)

Being water-cooled, upgrading can be a pain, upgraded 2x 8800GTS to a single 470GTX from EVGA with mounted waterblock, cost me £475 :s

I'd say a good stabil PSU would be my starting point, as then with every upgrade you make, you won't have to worry about blowing your current PSU.

I got an Antec Quattro 850w and it has served me very well.

Powers two water pumps, eight 120mm fans, one 470GTX, overclocked CPU and RAM, six hard drives (5TB total)