LED taillights upgrade goes slightly awry

cb350

I'm not having much luck lately!

Bought a couple of LED taillights, both genuine Nissan, to upgrade my older lights.

The N/S fitted fine, however the O/S seems to have a different socket on the light and the plug won't go into it. I put the the old socket and the new one side-by-side and they are very slightly different. I thought about 'reshaping' the plug to fit the new socket with a knife and file, but there's too much of it looks different to me, I can't be certain that if I do manage to get the plug into the socket, the pins would actually line up correctly.

Sorry I don't have any pictures yet, it got dark by the time I'd decided to throw the towel in and put the old lights back on :(

Does anyone know what year they might have changed the sockets/plugs and if I can pick up a replacement plug from anywhere? Got to be cheaper than a whole light!

Thanks,

Chris.

Strange, is the Zed an import?

Yes, it is...

odd thing is I bought one from Zmanalex, which fitted perfectly. The other was bought off eBay.. I haven't seen any threads to say watch out for different plugs, everyone says it's a straight swap, but the one that doesn't fit almost looks like the socket is a mirror-image of what it should be.. are the plugs supposed to be identical on both sides? (mine are)

Chris.

UK light onto an import will have connection issue as the plugs are different.

But AFAIK it's an easy fix.

viewtopic.php?p=55864#p55864

Thanks for the link! I got as far as trimming off the smaller of the three 'spigots' earlier today before I gave up as I thought I'm just going to end up hacking the plug to pieces and it still wouldn't fit.

So.. now I want to know if I really need to thank Zmanalex for somehow sending me a JDM rear light cluster? Maybe he has developed some sort of sixth sense as I don't think I told him it was a JDM car. Might drop him a PM.

The lights that I supply fit both UK and JDM without any modification ;)

Alex, just out of curiosity, do you know what light I might have got then? It looks like I can trim up the plug to get it to fit, but it obviously requires different plugs that must be correct for some variant?

Cheers,

Chris.

The lights that I supply fit both UK and JDM without any modification ;)

Alex, just out of curiosity, do you know what light I might have got then? It looks like I can trim up the plug to get it to fit, but it obviously requires different plugs that must be correct for some variant?

Cheers,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

There are a 4 variants of UK LED rear lamps and I would think that you have got one of these.

3 of the variants require the block connector to be trimmed.

The 4th type which I supply fits all UK and all JDM models without trimming. ;)

Once you have trimmed to make it fit remember and wrap a bit of insulating tape round the block connector just to keep it nice and tight :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Thanks for the info Alex, I'm completely amazed that there are four types of socket, but one socket works with all plugs, but there you go. Nothing ever makes sense with car parts :wacko:

Wish I'd just bought two from you now, but I suppose trimming a few bits of plastic off the plug isn't the end of the world - just annoying!

Chris.