We Won !!!!!!

DoogyRev

lol @ husky, move bk home, fibre optics is everywhere

nope my parents live in a hillfoot village, they have the most unreliable internet connection known to man :wacko:

lol what one? We have upto 100mb now

my mate in his scummy student flat in edinburgh also has 100MB. he has an amazing interweb connection for playing COD on his tiny CRT telly :dry:

lol i love cod, shame the playstation network isnt as stable as my connection.

In Gdansk Poland, you get highspeed wifi in the town centre for free and it really is first class in terms of stability and speed.

Internet gaming is a lot more about the latency and the upload than anything else. 0.8mb up and a ping of 20ms will suit me just fine for now. 100mb down would be great for the likes of streaming hd etc.

Which is another point which BT need to address, but seem to have missed completely, is that with the advent of more and more streaming media, including TV these faster technology may become more of a necessity. Rupert Murdoch is hardly going to miss that trick. How long before sky on demand in HD is available (for a price)? If this technology is only available to a minority - how long before OFCOM allows people who actually want to roll out their own FTTC to use the underground trunks to lay their own fibre back to their LLU equipment.

Whats more, its the villages and towns which have a higher demographic of stay at home mums etc that lap up new tv services (which areas were the first to be plastered with sky dishes for example?).

If there is a large commercial gain for the likes of Sky and Virgin to lay their own fibre and beat BT to the punch, then they could lose out in a huge way. They could theoretically bypass the BT capacity based charging too, especially if they host such content on directly on the Network rather than using the BT backbones.

if i had the choice of virgin or BT im pretty sure which i'd choose.

I would take a flying leap that at over 8km from the exchange i should have a terrible ping? COD seems perfectly fine, but them i'm sure it is designed to cope with everything thrown at it :shrug:

Well BT man is all done and dusted - not bad for a tenna a month B)

1099868379.png

My HD projector also turned up with 77" screen of goodness :yahoo:

Chris - there are companies out there that work for small communities running fibre to the premises but its damn expensive. Saw it on the News a few weeks back, something like 100k to get it all in, and then you pay what you would to BT and when its all paid back they move on to help the next community. Forget what they are called but seemed a really good venture.

Getting 100K out of our community would be a blood from a stone venture in itself. Id happily pay £2/3k to get my own individual line done if BT offered the option, but we will be stuck with the up to 8mb service for a few years yet.

What amazes me is BT will only put in FTTC if the ISPs can guarantee a minimum 10% take up in the area, and thats 10% of lines, not broadband consumers. Whereas the takeup on the much cheaper to install ADSL2+ would be well into the 50%+ area I would assume.

You will love gaming on the projector :thumbs:

Yeah I feel for you bud, where my mum lives (and I did for most of my life obviously), we were very late to get BB, we had ISDN via my dads work for years while others had 1MB+ BB. She can still only get 1.5MB but looking like FTTC will be along soon, they have enabled the cab one end of the village, just need to sort the other. Its a right PITA when you know literally every house will sign up to it, yet some eeediot analyst decided for some reason that they wont so wont install it. Whats more annoying with mum is that they have a new build developement behind her now, which I think they are feeding from the old cab, so those owners wont be happy to find they can only get 1MB connections in brand spanking new houses :bang:

GT5 is a go though :drive1

What is even more annoying is that the figure BT have for the number of telephone lines connected to our exchange exceeds the actual census population by about 25% never mind the number of properties, so the broadband uptake will always be quite a low percentage :lol::bangin:

Well I could lower my ping by moving up to the 15 quid a month package, but I dont do online games (atm) so happy with 17ms. I remember back in the day anything under 40ms was good :lol:

Guy next door has Virgin cable and has had no end of problems with them, although mainly with the STB, so I decided to stick with PlusNet and use FreeSat for my TV.

about 1km worse possibly? :lol: :lol:

the ping of 66 isnt as bad as i expected actually. but look at the ration of up to down, isnt that a bit odd? maybe thats what plusnet are rattling on about saying its slower than they expect it to be

Looks about right if you are miles from the exchange. A few years ago you wouldnt have even got a connection where you are if you are that far away :surrender:

I take it you've tried the BT Line Checker to see what it says the expected rates are?

Also get an ADSL Nation faceplate, they can up the speed considerably on rubbish lines, it upped mine from 2.5MB to 4MB :thumbs:

1100297898.png

mines not brilliant; still waiting for decent broadband speeds.

its suprised me considering i'm less than a mile from BT Martlesham as if i'm right its one of their biggest research centers. would have thought it would be one of the areas flooded with the latest tech.

1100297898.png

mines not brilliant; still waiting for decent broadband speeds.

its suprised me considering i'm less than a mile from BT Martlesham as if i'm right its one of their biggest research centers. would have thought it would be one of the areas flooded with the latest tech.

79, you lagger :p

Doesnt count for anything unfortunately, I knew a mate back in school who could see the Basingstoke exhange from his window almost and his line was like 3km long, it came out the exchange, half way across the town and back again before his box was hooked up to it :lol: They will have a huge line to the BT facility no doubt, but that doesnt mean anything for you as their stuff will be dedicated.

My work has a healthy connection though .... :#1:

1100836232.png