LPG anyone know much about it?

rtbiscuit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ski boat I drive is LPG. (big V8) Only problem we ever get is 'iceing up' we need to warm it up for 10 mins at the begining and end of the season when it's cold. But it is cooled by water from the lake, so that would not happen in a car.

MK4 R32 :yahoo:

The price of LPG is now 84.9p, wasn't it about half the price a few years ago?

not a s cheap as it used to be is it :dry: think teh national average is about 70p per litre.

Have you checked out if there are many pumps near you? http://www.petrolprices.com is a pretty good guide to locations and price :thumbs:

2 places within 5 miles, one right next to work, and the other round the corner from my house where i normally fill up

one is 73.9 the other 76.9 still cheaper than the 133.9 or 129.9 for super unleaded at the same garages.

on 12,000 miles a year i'd be making an average saving of 94.00 a month

We have seen soooo many damaged engines due to LPG Kits. Most of the time it's poor engineers that have caused the issues or the lube bottle has been ran dry causing engines to destroy themselves (seen 2 350z's with this happen). When holes are drilled for the kits they are often done in situ causing metallic swarf to get into the engine :thumbdown:

My advice is get a nice diesel and stay away from LPG but if you really must make sure you have a good kit fitted by a reputable garage :headhurt:

We have seen soooo many damaged engines due to LPG Kits. Most of the time it's poor engineers that have caused the issues or the lube bottle has been ran dry causing engines to destroy themselves (seen 2 350z's with this happen). When holes are drilled for the kits they are often done in situ causing metallic swarf to get into the engine :thumbdown:

My advice is get a nice diesel and stay away from LPG but if you really must make sure you have a good kit fitted by a reputable garage :headhurt:

cheers for the heads up; this is what plays in the back of my mind.

seems to be 2 distinct groups those that would stay away and those that have never had an issue. and it all seems to come down to who fitted it and what kit.

the installer of the kit on the car i've seen is LPGA approved which is what your meant to look for. and i think it the romano system which again is meant to be good and also self lubricates the valves.

2 places within 5 miles, one right next to work, and the other round the corner from my house where i normally fill up

one is 73.9 the other 76.9 still cheaper than the 133.9 or 129.9 for super unleaded at the same garages.

Is this taking into account running the car on petrol to and from work as you indicated? Also the warm up period (minimum 2 miles) has to be factored in.

Losing the space in the boot wouldn't be great as I was sure you were changing cars to get a decent sized boot and extra seats.

A lot of risk for a lot of compromise for you I feel. If you were commuting 100 miles a day then brilliant but I don't think you'll see much benefit really.

Just my 2p worth.

agreed, had a fiesta in the workshop the other day, lube bottle pipe leaking, so eventually engine goes. not good.

Is this taking into account running the car on petrol to and from work as you indicated? Also the warm up period (minimum 2 miles) has to be factored in.

Losing the space in the boot wouldn't be great as I was sure you were changing cars to get a decent sized boot and extra seats.

A lot of risk for a lot of compromise for you I feel. If you were commuting 100 miles a day then brilliant but I don't think you'll see much benefit really.

Just my 2p worth.

+1

A derv might be better if you want to do stupid miles and with the money saved buy a weekend car, or something small and decent on fuel like a 172 or a corolla t sport.

Good thread this! i have just had mine priced up at £1395 inc at Leeds LPG, due to my £300 commute fuel bill in the Z. A recommended fitters with LPG credits. But this thread has given me second thoughts.

I Have a 2l MGZT diesel too but im just addicted to driving the Z i cant leave her alone! :blush:

But ide save approx £100 a month so would re-coupe the pennies in 12 month'ish

Good thread this! i have just had mine priced up at £1395 inc at Leeds LPG, due to my £300 commute fuel bill in the Z. A recommended fitters with LPG credits. But this thread has given me second thoughts.

I Have a 2l MGZT diesel too but im just addicted to driving the Z i cant leave her alone! :blush:

i'm not put off, but just alot more cautious as to what to look for. making sure its done properly and checked on a regualr basis.

same as you would with a DIY FI install. they aren't just plag and play, people are always checking them and making sure they are running well. i wouldn't expect any modded car with something like this to run well if it wasn't well maintained.

i'm not put off, but just alot more cautious as to what to look for. making sure its done properly and checked on a regualr basis.

same as you would with a DIY FI install. they aren't just plag and play, people are always checking them and making sure they are running well. i wouldn't expect any modded car with something like this to run well if it wasn't well maintained.

did I read right in saying that your wanting to do it to a mk4 r32? Surely for a 2k investment you would want to do it to something better and faster (no offense). Each to their own I suppose but do you see what Im saying?

Bmw e39 540i 4.4 v8 lpg converted is :cloud9::cloud9:

did I read right in saying that your wanting to do it to a mk4 r32? Surely for a 2k investment you would want to do it to something better and faster (no offense). Each to their own I suppose but do you see what Im saying?

Bmw e39 540i 4.4 v8 lpg converted is :cloud9::cloud9:

nope never said i was going to do it to an R32; my first post said i had seen an R32 for sale that had already had it done.

You sure you can't be tempted by an Alfa oil burner?????

The idea behind not buying an Alfa is because people can't stand the constant worry of it breaking down (thats the only reason I've never got one).......if you get the R32 your going to have the same problem - just waiting for the LPG to make it go pop!

The idea behind not buying an Alfa is because people can't stand the constant worry of it breaking down (thats the only reason I've never got one).......if you get the R32 your going to have the same problem - just waiting for the LPG to make it go pop!

i love alfa's and would be tempted by a petrol one; with their Q4 system. might have another look tonight at them

it wasn't that i was specifically looking at LPG cars, its just i was looking at R32's and found one with LPG and didn't want to discount it out without really knowing more.

i love alfa's and would be tempted by a petrol one; with their Q4 system. might have another look tonight at them

it wasn't that i was specifically looking at LPG cars, its just i was looking at R32's and found one with LPG and didn't want to discount it out without really knowing more.

To be fair whats worse case.... rebuild not the end of the world ..£2k??? there will always be pro/cons everyone has an experience or tale to tell , all I know is I have heard good things. Hay I have had a few Alfa's and been the most reliable cars I have had???? not like my Evo 8 which is jap of course ended up with a 3.5k engine rebuild , the most unreliable car I have ever owned!

Sounds like if its serviced like clock work carried out at a decent garage your be ok... I quite like the idea of a r32 lpg really would be best of both doubt you would have any problems moving it on.... :shrug:

....Just an idea but may be worth asking on the r32/vw forums as thoses chaps will be able to tell you first hand how that car may handle it??

Good luck with your quest for a new motor! :thumbs:

One point to consider in your calculations, which Stew touched on, is that your fuel economy will go down. LPG has a lower energy density than petrol and so your mpg will decrease, I don't know how much by. You'll still be saving money though as it's a lot cheaper than petrol like you say.