Storing the Z for 2 months

gort

Hi Guys.

I'm flying to Australia in fortnight, won't be back till March.

is the best bet , to disconnect the battery for that length of time, can you see any problems in doing so ( auto windows &the like)

and which terminal do I need to take off first, +/- ?.

Thanks in advance.

Yep.....remove the +first I would say and put it in a bag while you take off the -ve.

NO!! Always remove negative earth lead first, re-attach last.

+1

But really i would just get a trickle charger on it and leave it connected to the car. Mines been stored since the beginning of October with its charger fitted like it does every winter and never had any problems. :)

Yep.....remove the +first I would say and put it in a bag while you take off the -ve.

NO!! Always remove negative earth lead first, re-attach last.

+1

But really i would just get a trickle charger on it and leave it connected to the car. Mines been stored since the beginning of October with its charger fitted like it does every winter and never had any problems. :)

That's all the advice you need mate! I was going to say the same, mine is on, connected to the car on trickle charge, my old man stores all his cars that way as well and no probs they fire up first time and most are about 50 years old :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
A mechanic friend of mine, said you only need to disconnect the negative?

He'd be right. :thumbs: Make sure the lead can't creep back towards the post to make contact again. i.e. tie it back properly.

Don't forget as mentioned above, that the autodrop on the windows will be inoperative with the battery disconnected, so don't go opening/slamming the doors. Also good point about the handbrake, try not to leave it on for that amount of time if you can avoid it. Tyres will be fine though, just make sure they are at the correct pressures (or higher would help, but don't forget to adjust them before driving again!). Have a good trip. :wave:

A mechanic friend of mine, said you only need to disconnect the negative?

Don't forget as mentioned above, that the autodrop on the windows will be inoperative with the battery disconnected, so don't go opening/slamming the doors.

the passenger door autodrops, but the drivers door does not, it misses the pillar by half a millimetre, suppose I need to get that sorted at some point.

Thanks for the tips.

• 3 weeks later...

Should be fine. Assuming the battery is in good condition and hasn't lost all it's juice (which is why you disconnected it, to stop any drains). Otherwise give it a charge first. Key should be fine also. I have put key batteries back in my spare after six months and it was all good.

My opinion on this for what its worth;

My Zed used to get parked up in a garage for 3 months at a time. I never bothered with trickle chargers or disconnecting anything.

I pulled up in the garage, left it in neutral, handbrake off. Couple of bricks to stop it rolling back or forward, covered, locked garage, went to sea.

Came back 3 months later, uncovered, got in, started first time every time.

Have you not got a mate that can come round once a week and start her up, saves an awful lot of ****ing about?

This isnt a good idea, all your doing is starting the car up and using Power and fuel. Most modern cars will go into a sleep mode when left and i'm sure the 350Z would be fine for only 2 months.

I just disconnect the earth lead from the battery when leaving the MR2 for long periods, i ended up fitting a battery cut off switch as it saved time.

Have you not got a mate that can come round once a week and start her up, saves an awful lot of ****ing about?

Definitely not a good idea, multiple cold starts, loads of wear and tear for nothing. Seems like more mucking about than removing one lead to do the job properly.

Definitely not a good idea, multiple cold starts, loads of wear and tear for nothing. Seems like more mucking about than removing one lead to do the job properly.

Not quite got this? is that not what happens every time you start your car up, any way if it was just that it would be fine, but if you read all the other replies he's got a list of hundreds of other suggestions (slight exageration here, 14 or 15) including axle stands, bricks, steering wheel locks, waxing the car, etc etc. :wacko: