Boiler advice needed

Wasso

I had a worcester bosch 28i junior boiler fitted last december with a digistat and a fernox set. A mate fitted it for me as gas safe. I did all the rads 8 in total supplied it all myself at a cost to me of £1400 and my mate charges me £600 including the copper. We moved the boiler from the kitchen to in the loft. Cant recoment the boiler enough very economical indeed and its all my mate fits as bosch give a 5 year guaruntee. Best of the best imo. Good luck with it fella

most new systems will be piped in plastic pipe with pushfit connections. This cuts the cost and labour times massively

depends on the plumber you ask to do it, i try and avoid pushfit like the plague. hate the stuff. its just not a proper job imo.

Decided against Valiant as I had heard of two cases of bad radio interference (I do Ham radio when snowed in !).

Had a Viesmann condensing boiler fitted instead. Very pleased with boiler, but had a problem with the amount of hot water.

It turned out that new boilers do not like some old hot water cylinders. The old ones do not have enough turns on the heating

coil to transfer the heat from the primary circuit into the domestic hot water. The symptoms are that when heating only the water

the boiler throttles back to soon.

Fitting a new cylinder cured the problem and we survived the recent cold spell with plenty of heating and hot water.

Total cost boiler, cylinder and system power flush - £2,800.

S.

hold off may be a fart in the wind here but depending on the make and model of that combi you may still be able to get parts, im a gas engineer and you wouldnt believe what you can fix, its finding an engineer that will spend the time looking for the parts! Being a combi failing on hot water i would say it could be as simple as a split diaphragm which is very common! 16 years is old for a boiler but you could still see 20 out of it! you'd be amazed what you see on a daily basis! The issues that can lie when getting a private installer to fit the boiler is making sure its fitted to current standards, standards do change but not to a massive extent so if you were to get anther engineer in say from british gas they could categorise it as at risk if something as simple as the flue not being sealed internally/externally which would then have to be turned off! Just because an engineers is gas safe registerd doesnt mean he will meet standards and go by the book, most dont even know what alot of the new standards are! So just do your research, if you stick to the way manufactures instructions say you cant go wrong!!!

Right - quote FINALLY in.... £1,600 and that's for moving the current boiler which is located in the middle of the house to a location sited against an outside wall. This will include a Baxi Potterton Gold - although strangely I've been quoted 2-3 days to undertake the work.

The boiler will be moving a distance of 8ft if that to the Bathroom!

Does this sound about right or should I be knocking this price down or sourcing somebody else?

I paid £1900 at mates rates to shift an old backboiler out and stick a new Baxi in (not sure if its a 'Gold' one - I would assume not).

It probably is only 2 days work (they were done on ours in 1 and a bit days). Sounds like your not being conned for a 'Powerflush' of the system too which is apparently one of the biggest jokes in the industry. :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice guys.....

Going to get one final quote before I proceed - keep ya posted with a success or fail story some time soon.

I guess that's £1,600 I could have spent on the Zed. In fact that's the cost of the wheels I wanted... :bang:

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind if it was in my house.....

It's in the maissonette I rent out... the women there has cost me £2,100 in 6 months.... New Boiler and 2 Windows!! Okay so the investment is put back into the property - although I could have had a great time with £2k!! That would have done wheels and front bumper....

:pinch:

Thats a really good price. Has he filled out the benchmark in the back of the instructions and informed building control?

If so good deal.

I did all the pipework (exept gas) and loose fitted flue. Left all pipes and electrics 500mm too long for him to cut back and connect and it cost me £450 labour only to connect, test and commission. 6 hrs.

Well done.

I've not yet paid him the final installment which is due tomorrow so I shall check those two items. Thanks for the info :thumbs:

I guess being cash, and a friend of a friend, I'm just glad it's not cost me over £2k like the first quote!