Headlamp washers on JDM?

car350z

I've got a JDM Zed with Xenons. Obviously it does not have the headlamp washers which are required in the UK. How difficult is it to put washer jets in and what would the cost be? Is it difficult to do the wiring and install the hoses? I know that I can most probably still get MOT, but I do like having clean lamps.

headlamp washers which are required in the UK.

They're not 'required', mate. Just a nice to have.

They are for OEM sale in the UK - have to have washers and self levelling. But not retrofit or import I beleive.

Really? My crappy Citroen of the same age doesn't have them. Why was it a prerequisite for OEM UK Zeds?

I've got a JDM Zed with Xenons. Obviously it does not have the headlamp washers which are required in the UK. How difficult is it to put washer jets in and what would the cost be? Is it difficult to do the wiring and install the hoses? I know that I can most probably still get MOT, but I do like having clean lamps.

I wouldn't bother - you don't need them for an MOT and they don't clean your headlamps, they just squirt water all over your clean bonnet. I took them off my UK car as I was annoyed with the things.

The law regarding HID washers is only aimed at manufacturers in The U.K market, they must fit them. After they've been sold there's no legal requirement for you to keep them, it's not an MOT fail. There are proposals for MOT's to include Headlamp washers from 2012 onwards but these are not set in stone.

I'm going to see my mate shortly, an MOT tester and garage owner for over 30 years, he'll know the exact situation on Imports and such.

Pete

Quite an easy upgrade if you wish to go down this route. :thumbs:

You will require a washer bottle and pump with associated hoses.

You will also require motors, brackets, jets and covers.

I have all the above in stock, but IMHO it is a waste of money.

However if you must, then just :pmzmanalex::thumbs:

Alex.

Wow, thanks for the numerous replies. I thought they were officially required. And if they don't really clean your headlights (but instead evenly spread dirt around the bonnet) then I think I'll pass. More money for a proper HU to replace the Bose or for facelift headlights ;)