SORN/Tax Refund on First Year RFL

geoff-r

I haven't been on here in a while, mind you I haven't driven my 370 in a while :( it's been tucked away as I just don't have the time and the weather isn't too nice.

Anyway while it's tucked away (most likely till February time) I wondered what the rules are on SORN'ing a car in it's first year and getting a refund on the tax. I imagine there is some rule somewhere that stops you getting a pro rata rate back on the initial RFL of £750, or is there? And then when it comes the time to re-apply (if the car is still in it's first year of life) will you have to pay the full wack again or would it be the standard 400ish? My question might be seem a bit ambiguous and many might not see the point but I'm more curious than anything.

From 1 April 2010, anyone buying a new car will pay a different rate of vehicle tax for the first tax disc. These are known as 'first year rates'.

From the second tax disc onwards, the standard rate of vehicle tax will apply.

Not sure whether you can claim a pro rata amount back because the first year tax is an environmental implications tax and is possibly non refundable.

Check with your local tax office.

I have the answer! :D

Copied from DVLA form V14, application for a refund of road tax:

If you paid a higher “First Year Rate†for a newly registered vehicle’s first tax disc, you will only get a refund based on the higher rate if the vehicle has been stolen, scrapped or the vehicle’s tax class has changed to a nil value tax class such as ‘disabled’.

So basically you get f*ck all unless your car has been nicked or written off. :thumbdown:

IIRC the total is the sum of the normal rate for the car, and a "show room" tax. I would imagine if you declare it SORN, you will get your portion of normal rate back pro-rata, but the show room portion will be lost - which is kind of what Dans snippet says. This will be to stop people registering cars and getting the show room tax back. Its not a road tax as such and thus declaring SORN means you arent entitiled to it back :thumbdown:

That's not how I read it. It refers to the 'higher rate' after it refers to the 'higher "First Year Rate"', which I took to mean that they're the same thing. As such, you only get anything back if the vehicle falls into the latter three categories.

Bloody DVLA never made anything simple! :lol:

Thanks guys, good work on finding out the answer I appreciate it! I think I'll just keep it taxed rather than mess around with declaring it SORN. I did have a feeling that the showroom tax element would be lost and certainly not refundable as stated, people would just SORN their car and re-apply for a tax disc pocketing a bit of change in the process. Now for this horrible weather to get out the way so I can get behind the wheel again, just seeing the state on my Audi after commuting for a week is enough to put me off pulling it out the garage.